The Student Room Group

assisted suicide law help urgently needed!!

hi there. i have coursework due in in two days on assisted suicide law. however i am struggling to find the reason as to why it is illegal to assist a non-crime, (assisted suicide) as suicide is not illegal. can anybody give me any relevant information on this or any pointers into the right direction of where to find information? thank you in advance :smile: x
It is true that England & Wales does not penalise the decision of a competent person to take their own life (Suicide Act 1961 s.1). However, notwithstanding the views of Augustine and Thomas Aquinas, suicide was seen as primitive, archaic and not fit for the twentieth century. It was not seen as appropriate to punish a person for attempting suicide, or punishing a family for a loved one's successful suicide. However, it is still an offence to aid, abet, counsel or procure another into committing suicide (s.2 of the Act). When s.2 of the Act was passed, it was passed with the aim of protecting minors and those under undue pressure. Likewise, it was passed with the aim to prevent parties disguising homicide as a suicide pact. It is clear that the protection of society and individuals is at the forefront of the substantive proscription.

It is eminently transparent from jurisprudence in England & Wales that the sanctity of life should be upheld. After all, notwithstanding the abrogation of the offence of suicide, there is no general right to die in this country. Moreover, suicide is irremediable and often based on a distorted judgment of one's own circumstances. Should that person not have the chance to seek psychological help? By legalising assisted suicide, they may never get the chance to; they may be pressured into ending their life. When does the right to assisted suicide become the duty to assisted suicide? Legalising assisted suicide would run into many difficulties - for example, does the person have the full cognitive capacity to consent to be assisted? Was it merely assistance or was it pressure? How about young adults and children? Could coercion factor in? I know that you aren't looking for a debate, however, such factors clearly contribute to the substantive prescription on assisted suicide.

In relation to assisted suicide, and depending upon your question, you may, if you have not already, wish to draw attention to two significant judgments in relation to assisted suicide: R. (on the application of Pretty) [2002] v DPP and R. (on the application of Purdy) v DPP [2009].

I hope this provides some form of guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest