The Student Room Group

Why do ethnic minorities have such a bad attitude towards the homeless?

.....and in fact all other minority groups that dont include theirs. Why is it that despite coming from a poor country (and therefore having an real connection with widespread destitution/hunger) and often becoming relatively wealthy they are unwiling to drop a few coins or donate a few quid a month to shelter or something.

I would also point out that far from westerners being the fattest, greediest and laziest people on the planet (as is the widespread stereotype) its actually ethnics in western countries who are the most rabid consumerists of the lot, buying totally in to the MTV way of life with all the bling cars, gadgets etc...
Um

Can we get this thread making more sense?

Are you saying ethnic minorities should understand poor people more? Because they are minorities?

I don't get it.

Are you saying certain races donate more to the homeless?

Is this your observation or fact? If it's fact we need some reliable statistics...

Edit: What race are you and what have you contributed to the homeless?
Reply 2
pahahaha with what evidence? also what is an ethnic? hahahaha
Where's the evidence?

I'm an ethnic minority who's been involved with homeless charities for 5 years, and if anything, I'd say minorities provide more of a charitable input into their lives. Sikh, Muslim, Hindu and black people, usually through their religious organisations, set up free meals, soup kitchens, charitable donations across cities much more than the 'white British' demographic do.
Reply 4
A New Moron
Original post by A New Morality
.....and in fact all other minority groups that dont include theirs. Why is it that despite coming from a poor country (and therefore having an real connection with widespread destitution/hunger) and often becoming relatively wealthy they are unwiling to drop a few coins or donate a few quid a month to shelter or something.

I would also point out that far from westerners being the fattest, greediest and laziest people on the planet (as is the widespread stereotype) its actually ethnics in western countries who are the most rabid consumerists of the lot, buying totally in to the MTV way of life with all the bling cars, gadgets etc...

Because how can a white person; who has it the easiest be homeless ?
Original post by PrincePaul45466
Because how can a white person; who has it the easiest be homeless ?

Oh **** off.

You're just as retarded/racist as the OP.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Oh **** off.

You're just as retarded/racist as the OP.

White people do have it the easiest. It's a fact.
Ethnic minorities like Sikhs who openly feed the homeless? have a kitchen open to all?

I think the problem is with those right wing tories cutting welfare spending.

because they have a chip on their shoulders because of the bad old days of the RAJ now they think they are better than everyone and deserve everything that's going
I wouldnt know about their attitude, but if by homeless you mean street homeless I have to say I cant remember the last time I saw a black man street begging. I have, but very rarely.
South or East Asian I have never seen either begging or rough sleeping.
Maybe it is something to do with a stronger family structure who knows. I would think they face the same problems that lead white men to end up on the street.
Today I saw an old asian woman crouched huddled with a thin blanket, her hands out for money and her face was the saddest I've seen in a long, long time. Ethnic minorities are exactly that- ethnic minorities. So there will obviously be less ethnic people that are homeless, because there are less ethnic people in the country. My 3 year old sister would pick up on that better than you. And just because there are less ethic homeless people, doesn't mean ethnic minorities have an 'attitude' towards homeless people. That lacks logic or any form of coherent thinking. In other words- what a load of buckcrap.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bluebookie
Today I saw an old asian woman crouched huddled with a thin blanket, her hands out for money and her face was the saddest I've seen in a long, long time. Ethnic minorities are exactly that- ethnic minorities. So there will obviously be less ethnic people that are homeless, because there are less ethnic people in the country. My 3 year old sister would pick up on that better than you. And just because there are less ethic homeless people, doesn't mean ethnic minorities have an 'attitude' towards homeless people. That lacks logic or any form of coherent thinking. In other words- what a load of buckcrap.

Im sure that lady you mentioned was probably a Roma. I dont buy the fact that their supposedly smaller numbers in society is the reason for their relative lack of presence on the floors of our streets because I have seen many a professional/student Patel actually walking past these (usually local) guys. I'd say its become almost an elephant in the room; a hidden taboo this white homeless thing, much like gora teen single mums. If a foreigner is on the streets its always apparently cos of some tragedy whereas if its one of ours..well he's just a waster or a creepy weirdo.
Im sure that lady you mentioned was probably a Roma. I dont buy the fact that their supposedly smaller numbers in society is the reason for their relative lack of presence on the floors of our streets because I have seen many a professional/student Patel actually walking past these (usually local) guys. I'd say its become almost an elephant in the room; a hidden taboo this white homeless thing, much like gora teen single mums. If a foreigner is on the streets its always apparently cos of some tragedy whereas if its one of ours..well he's just a waster or a creepy weirdo.

I think you're right about the whole elephant in the room thing, but a lot of people disregard homeless people in general- refusing to give them 50 pence because they'll 'spend it on drugs.' i kind of took your thread personally, as part of the ethnic minority i felt you were majorly generalising us, a minority is still densely populated so different people behave differently. I know you were explaining a crack in society and what not, but your thread title was quite offensive. I don't want to fight with you (i kind of did before) because I don't think you're intentionally being offensive.
Ethnic minorities being more likely to hate the homeless more than white people are? Since when has that been a thing lol? Did I miss the memo?
Right, fellow Brownies, the time has come and the memos have been missed. Drop your soup, we ain't feeding the homeless no more because A New Moron believes we have an attitude against them!
Reply 17

I think you should apply for Disability Allowance from the government, because you are clearly mentally challenged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending