The Student Room Group

Heading for a B in AS maths.

Ok, I know trying to get into cambridge for maths is very very hard, so this is a bit ambitious of me. Figured I'd ask for advice on here. If I get a B in further maths AS, would I be better off rejecting the grade, and say I'm doing the whole course in one year, or should I face the facts like a man?
I really like Maths, but at the end of the day, that's not enough! I don't even know why I'm even giving this a try, someone put me straight please! :biggrin:

Edit : Sorry, the title should say FURTHER maths.
Reply 1
Spider
Ok, I know trying to get into cambridge for maths is very very hard, so this is a bit ambitious of me. Figured I'd ask for advice on here. If I get a B in further maths AS, would I be better off rejecting the grade, and say I'm doing the whole course in one year, or should I face the facts like a man?
I really like Maths, but at the end of the day, that's not enough! I don't even know why I'm even giving this a try, someone put me straight please! :biggrin:

Edit : Sorry, the title should say FURTHER maths.

worry about it after results day. everyone feels like they've done worse than they actually have...

you could also reject one or two units if they are particularly bad, instead of doing the whole thing again next year. my school has a policy of only doing 2 further maths modules in y12 anyway.
Reply 2
naelse
worry about it after results day. everyone feels like they've done worse than they actually have...

Extremely good advice. Guessing your results is pretty difficult - I was an absolute mile off in my estimates of what I would get. Just do as much work as you can, it should pay off.
Reply 3
Well, the deal is we do Further Maths in two lessons a week. The way we're *supposed* to get an A is to do really well (High 90's) in D1, and reasonably well in S2( low 90's). This means we can slip up on P4, as it's really quite hard in comparison, especially if you haven't done P2 or P3 ( that's just the way our school does it). Unfortunately, I ran out of time in the D1 exam, missing out on a lot of marks. I'm about 20 UMS marks below my target, and this could cause a lot of problems.
Reply 4
Spider
Well, the deal is we do Further Maths in two lessons a week. The way we're *supposed* to get an A is to do really well (High 90's) in D1, and reasonably well in S2( low 90's). This means we can slip up on P4, as it's really quite hard in comparison, especially if you haven't done P2 or P3 ( that's just the way our school does it). Unfortunately, I ran out of time in the D1 exam, missing out on a lot of marks. I'm about 20 UMS marks below my target, and this could cause a lot of problems.

Well work your arse off for P4 and S2 and hope for the best. Who knows, you may get an A. Maybe it was a hard paper and everyone else did badly? Too many possibilities. Once you've got your grade, then start worrying about the consequences.

Latest

Trending

Trending