The Student Room Group
would you have only certain subject cheaper, like STEM (or whatever is needed like doctors atm) over having all cheaper?

1) what about our loan system which eventually allows for unpayable debts to be written off...? what about the fact that if you're poorer than average you don't pay the full 9k?
2) so you're implying here that 16/17 year olds will not only vote for this sole issue, but they are selfish with regards to their priorities (e.g. the fact that lowering the fees for individuals will drag down more government resources needed for other areas)? why wouldn't they vote for things in the national interest more so than their fussiness over uni fees which , like I said, are either written off if unpayable, or cheaper if they start out poorer? you're giving me food for thought in terms of *not* thinking that 16/17 year olds having the vote is a good idea. especially if you're implying that 16/17 ear olds don't understand that they're better off under this kind of system than the previous one.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
1) what about our loan system which eventually allows for unpayable debts to be written off...? what about the fact that if you're poorer than average you don't pay the full 9k?
2) so you're implying here that 16/17 year olds will not only vote for this sole issue, but they are selfish with regards to their priorities (e.g. the fact that lowering the fees for individuals will drag down more government resources needed for other areas)? why wouldn't they vote for things in the national interest more so than their fussiness over uni fees which , like I said, are either written off if unpayable, or cheaper if they start out poorer? you're giving me food for thought in terms of *not* thinking that 16/17 year olds having the vote is a good idea. especially if you're implying that 16/17 ear olds don't understand that they're better off under this kind of system than the previous one.

Let's be honest students and 16/17 year olds mostly are selfish.
They don't have a real value of money.
All they hear is £9000 a year plus living fees for uni! That sounds like a lot of money.
What they don't realise is that they will be rewarded via wage differentials in the future (assuming they find a good job and don't have to work in Starbucks). It is publicly acknowledged that those who attend uni earn more than those who don't.
Which is why I don't understand the case for reducing uni frees, or having uni free. We don't need that.
You only pay back your uni loan after earning a certain income, so yes, the low income earners don't leave. And it gets cancelled after a certain amount of years.
University is an investment in your human capital. You do reap what you sow.
16/17 year olds aren't ready- some 18,19, 20+ aren't ready either, but they are adults so we gotta give it to them to be democratic. Reducing the voting age is a whole other issue.
Worth noting thse numbers don't include private universities, which in the US are VERY expensive.
Original post by pereira325
Let's be honest students and 16/17 year olds mostly are selfish.
They don't have a real value of money.
All they hear is £9000 a year plus living fees for uni! That sounds like a lot of money.
What they don't realise is that they will be rewarded via wage differentials in the future (assuming they find a good job and don't have to work in Starbucks). It is publicly acknowledged that those who attend uni earn more than those who don't.
Which is why I don't understand the case for reducing uni frees, or having uni free. We don't need that.
You only pay back your uni loan after earning a certain income, so yes, the low income earners don't leave. And it gets cancelled after a certain amount of years.
University is an investment in your human capital. You do reap what you sow.
16/17 year olds aren't ready- some 18,19, 20+ aren't ready either, but they are adults so we gotta give it to them to be democratic. Reducing the voting age is a whole other issue.

Now how about you consider an alternative argument..can you do that? What's the point in having a one sided view if you cannot consider an alternative before you post?
Hmm think it's still cheap tbh.
Reply 7
Either way, us international students are ****ed lol
Original post by mojojojo101
Worth noting thse numbers don't include private universities, which in the US are VERY expensive.

Also worth noting that the U.K. Has a high uptake of people doing degrees.
Original post by Democracy2013
Now how about you consider an alternative argument..can you do that? What's the point in having a one sided view if you cannot consider an alternative before you post?

If you want to look witty, them back up your points with evidence, or something convincing.
Come back when you have something to contribute.
You tell me the other side of the view, and why my view is wrong.
That is how a debate/discussion works.
Um, this has been the case for a long time. The article doesn't say anything most people didn't already know?
The absolute figure of student debt doesn't make much difference to anything. The key is to look at what will actually have to be paid, and in what circumstances.

I imagine everyone realises this, but just wants to score points here.
Original post by pereira325
If you want to look witty, them back up your points with evidence, or something convincing.
Come back when you have something to contribute.
You tell me the other side of the view, and why my view is wrong.
That is how a debate/discussion works.

@Democracy2013 Dam, you got slammed hard.
You can't simply look at the absolute value at then make conclusions on which is more expensive. You need to look at the repayment conditions (e.g. interest rates).
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The absolute figure of student debt doesn't make much difference to anything. The key is to look at what will actually have to be paid, and in what circumstances.

I imagine everyone realises this, but just wants to score points here.

If we go off the Tory logic, having to pay more tax/fees is a deterrent to 'aspiration' and earning more?

Ah of course, you only care about 'aspiration' when it suits you.
Original post by Aceadria
You can't simply look at the absolute value at then make conclusions on which is more expensive. You need to look at the repayment conditions (e.g. interest rates).

More than that, the US economy and the UK economies are entirely different and probably owes to the 320 million US population. Higher education in the US is likely equivalent to a vocational subject at level 3 college course in England for example, in terms of a local college education at any rate. University in the UK is mainly academic or for professionals: teachers, lawyers, doctors, architects etc. Law degrees are post graduate in the US whereas in the UK they're not. So, you need to see the bigger economic picture than to look at things at a micro level..ie university fees.
Original post by Democracy2013
More than that, the US economy and the UK economies are entirely different and probably owes to the 320 million US population. Higher education in the US is likely equivalent to a vocational subject at level 3 college course in England for example, in terms of a local college education at any rate. University in the UK is mainly academic or for professionals: teachers, lawyers, doctors, architects etc. Law degrees are post graduate in the US whereas in the UK they're not. So, you need to see the bigger economic picture than to look at things at a micro level..ie university fees.

Very good point. Differences in time spent studying are also ignored when compared.
Original post by Bornblue
If we go off the Tory logic, having to pay more tax/fees is a deterrent to 'aspiration' and earning more?

Ah of course, you only care about 'aspiration' when it suits you.

There could be some effect in this direction, but I doubt it's serious in the present system. What is it, 7% over 21k until it's paid off? Those who are earning enough for that to amount to a serious amount of money will pay it off quite quickly anyway.

That concern in the present circumstances is outweighed by the need to save money for the public and the unfairness of having non-graduates pay for others' education.

The present situation is also justified by the basic fairness of having people pay towards a service that primarily benefits them.

One reaches a compromise, you see, after considering all the factors. This is much preferable to following the Corbyn route, of just picking one value, shouting about it, and ignoring all other considerations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending