The Student Room Group

As a nurse can you choose to work in an all female ward?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _icecream
It's just not something I'm comfortable in doing

So don't choose a career where you'd have to do it.

How about accountancy? I've heard there's minimal exposure to genitalia in accountancy.
If you can't handle a dick what makes you think you can handle the gory aspects of nursing? Vomit, piss, crap, a heavy bleeder, a big wound? Hell, death.
Reply 22
Original post by Potally_Tissed
So don't choose a career where you'd have to do it.

How about accountancy? I've heard there's minimal exposure to genitalia in accountancy.

I don't like office jobs, I prefer jobs where I am not tied down to a desk
Reply 23
Original post by ForestCat
Then perhaps nursing is not a suitable career choice for you. You would have to do 3 years of placement on a variety of wards. You will be expected to provide personal care to all patients on that ward. You could not leave a male patient soiled, or in desperate need of the toilet because you don't feel comfortable. Patients' come first whilst you work, and patients deserve nurses who are prepared to care for them, no matter who they are.

I have friends who are nurses and they didn't have to provide personal care whilst on placements
I have friends who are nurses and they didn't have to provide personal care whilst on placements

Your friends are telling lies. If I had a student who didn't provide personal care, I would be calling up the university saying that they are in danger of failing placement. You cannot get away from providing personal care, its the cornerstone of nursing care.

If you are not prepared to provide personal care to all patients, please don't become a nurse. There are plenty of other careers out there that may suit, but nursing isn't one of them.

Either your friends are BSing you, they're not adult nurses or they haven't worked on wards yet. As a student you don't have any choice in who your patients are, once you qualify you can choose to work on only women wards but you wont get through your initial training without providing personal care to male and female patients.
I'm not a nurse yet I am applying for universities this year, I don't mind working with male patients it's just the personal care aspects (taking them to the toilet , washing etc ) that I can't do if I was working with male patients.

It's not that suprising that someone just leaving school is unsure if they can deal with very intimate interaction with sick and often vulnerable people of both genders and all ages. Maybe get out of school, try and get work in a healthcare setting and see how you feel as you gain a bit more experience and maturity and apply for nursing later if you decide it's for you. BTW dealing with personal care of babies and small children isn't a bed of roses either :wink: Good luck with whatever you decide.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by gdunne42
It's not that suprising that someone just leaving school is unsure if they can deal with very intimate interaction with sick and often vulnerable people of both genders and all ages. Maybe get out of school, try and get work in a healthcare setting and see how you feel as you gain a bit more experience and maturity and apply for nursing later if you decide it's for you. BTW dealing with personal care of babies and small children isn't a bed of roses either :wink: Good luck with whatever you decide.

I am thinking about getting a job as a HCA just to see how I find it
I am thinking about getting a job as a HCA just to see how I find it

Probably the most sensible thing you've said so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending