The Student Room Group

Predicted grades vs AS grades

So I just sent my UCAS application. I'm applying for computer science courses for all five of my unis. The minimum requirements for the unis range from BBB to ABB.
I'm studying maths, physics and computer science. For my AS results I got AAC, with A's in math's and physics and a C in computing. I'm now predicted AAB, but I should probably be able to get an A* in maths.
I think a B is computing is possible cause we had a terrible teacher last year, but what will unis think if they see that I got a C last year, and I'm applying for computer science courses? :frown:
If it helps, I also have an AS in further maths and business studies.
Do they look at predicted grades or AS grades? Can I get offers from ABB unis like Edinburgh?
And say happens if I do get A*AC, can I still get offers from like BBB unis with my C?
Original post by The_Big_E
So I just sent my UCAS application. I'm applying for computer science courses for all five of my unis. The minimum requirements for the unis range from BBB to ABB.
I'm studying maths, physics and computer science. For my AS results I got AAC, with A's in math's and physics and a C in computing. I'm now predicted AAB, but I should probably be able to get an A* in maths.
I think a B is computing is possible cause we had a terrible teacher last year, but what will unis think if they see that I got a C last year, and I'm applying for computer science courses? :frown:
Do they look at predicted grades or AS grades? Can I get offers from ABB unis like Edinburgh?
And say happens if I do get A*AC, can I still get offers from like BBB unis with my C?

The vast majority of unis look at all the factors in your application, so both your predicted and achieved grades will be considered. The fact that your C is in a subject relevant to the one you want to study, rather than an irrelevant one, could also be seen as a negative by some universities.

That said, with AAC, I would expect you to get some offers from unis asking for ABB/BBB provided your reference and PS are also good.

However, if you have an offer of BBB and achieve A*AC, on results day the uni could reject you as you have not technically met your offer. This is fairly unlikely, but could happen, especially if the uni has over offered or more people meet their offers than expected.

Have you looked at any unis which give offers as points, rather than grades? If you had an offer of, say 300 points, then it wouldn't matter if you got ABB or A*AC.

One grade increase for your predicted grades should be fine, I applied and got an offer from a subject that requires me to increase my AS grades by a grade for two different subjects. That's very general advice, I'm not 100% sure about the computing grade specifically but I think the fact that you have the A in maths and physics will cover you, I know quite a few people have done CS courses with good grades in those two subjects without ever having done computing at AS.

Unis will look at different things, some will look at AS, some will look at predicted, most probably will look at both. As long as your predicted isn't wildly different from your AS grades (e.g. a C at AS is predicted an A* at A2) you should be fine; even then I've heard that occasionally some unis will still give you offers to applicants with AS levels which are nowhere near the entry requirements, although I wouldn't bank on this for competitive unis.

Again, what unis will accept when you apply varies massively. Some will accept equivalent grades, others won't. I've heard that Edinburgh is especially strict on meeting the exact requirements. Best thing to do imo is to ask the unis themselves.

EDIT: Didn't see this post has already been replied to :rolleyes: I do agree with what the above poster said about the C being potentially negative though. That's a risk you'll have to decide whether to take.
(edited 8 years ago)

The responses you've received are pretty accurate. Just to add on, If I were you, I'd have a safe option and apply for a uni asking for 300 ucas points or BBC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending