The Student Room Group

Choosing subjects for A-levels

Hi

I have chosen to the sixth form that I want to go next year, but I have a problem with subjects. I want to become an architect in the future. For GCSE I have chosen: Art, Computer science and product design.

I am thinking of choosing for A levels the following:
Maths (regular not further)
Physics
Product design or Art
Maybe RS (not sure about the forth)

I am not really sure if to choose art or PD, as I would prefer to choose product design as I enjoy it more and in Yr 13 you can choose to do architecture, but I am not sure if art would not be a better choice. Also would RS be fine for the last subject. I am thinking of going to Cardiff University preferably.

What do you think?
Any questions then just ask.

Bolt
You could always check Architecture course requirements on various uni websites. I would have thought the A levels you are thinking of are pretty good. I imagine A*AA-AAB (I'm no authority) would be the grade requirement for a good Architecture school and most importantly job prospects.

Why not do art and PD for A level and leave RS?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey,

I am currently doing my A2 and doing art. I didn't have the same dilemma as you however I did nearly choose to do photography as I thought it would be more interesting as I had done art the past 2 years in GCSE. But I am glad I chose art as my teacher kindly explained that art allows for more variety within the subject and you can make it go your own way. For example I want to go into fashion which isn't easy to express in fine art but I have been working with lots of different materials and techniques that will help to show my interest towards fashion.

If that doesn't make sense all I mean is if you look at what you COULD do within the subject allows for all that you WOULD want to do.

Hope that's helpful in some way :/
Reply 3
The cardiff uni wants AAB minimum. It says :
Typical A level offerAAA. We prefer a good academic base with a balance of skills in visual arts, sciences and writing. General Studies, Critical Thinking and PE are not considered.I don't really want to choose Art that is the problem. But it says for some Uni's that it is recommended.

I know what you mean Picasso, but product allows me to do architecture in Yr 13.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
They you go then if your hearts not with art and product allows more for architecture which is what you want to do then that will be what fits.
Reply 5
But some uni's says that art is recommended :frown:
Reply 6
What would you recommend for the 4th subject?
Reply 7
I think you should think about doing both product and art.
Reply 8
Some unis like you to do Maths, so I'd keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest