The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Accomodation advice?

I just got an offer for English Lit at Exeter, which was my first choice (I am so excited)!! I suppose I'm getting started a bit early but I'll be getting a lot of work for my A-levels later on so I really wanted to get advice now.
So, several things : I don't really want to go to a catered hall, but as my dad is unconvinced I either need good arguments or to be convinced myself : is the food in catered halls good? Healthy, lots of choices, three meals a day every day, that type of thing?
Otherwise, what places are good in terms of self-catered, preferably en-suite?
Which halls have good transport/close to campus - not too fond of walking :/ ?
Any other advice relating to Exeter accomodation is welcome - I did look at the basic guide but wanted something a bit more recent
Thank you :3
Reply 1
Hey- I do English lit here and absolutely love it! Probably the best universtiy in the world...(you will hear this a lot we #bleedgreen)

1.catered have extremely tight meal times- if you wake up past 9.30am you don't get breakfast and dinner stops at 7.30. There is no lunch so you will have to cook lunch for yourself anyway, and you move out in second year anyway so its much better to get the practice in first year.

Lafrowda (new blocks) are en suite (old blocks aren't ensuite and not as nice by any means) and self catered and the closest to the main campus that you can be. The accommodation is so nice, all very new with under bed storage, pin board, and desk, shelves, draws, plenty of plugs, wardrobe. You share with 8 others and get a nice big kitchen with sofas in as well which is very communal. St Germans is a bit older, but also a good location. I know you are not too fond or walking but if you come to Exeter you will get used to that in not time as there are A LOT of hills. Birks grange is also lovely accommodation but you have to literally climb A MOUNTAIN to get to campus every day, and Duryad is even further.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by ap598ex
Hey- I do English lit here and absolutely love it! Probably the best universtiy in the world...(you will hear this a lot we #bleedgreen)

1.catered have extremely tight meal times- if you wake up past 9.30am you don't get breakfast and dinner stops at 7.30. There is no lunch so you will have to cook lunch for yourself anyway, and you move out in second year anyway so its much better to get the practice in first year.

Lafrowda (new blocks) are en suite (old blocks aren't ensuite and not as nice by any means) and self catered and the closest to the main campus that you can be. The accommodation is so nice, all very new with under bed storage, pin board, and desk, shelves, draws, plenty of plugs, wardrobe. You share with 8 others and get a nice big kitchen with sofas in as well which is very communal. St Germans is a bit older, but also a good location. I know you are not too fond or walking but if you come to Exeter you will get used to that in not time as there are A LOT of hills. Birks grange is also lovely accommodation but you have to literally climb A MOUNTAIN to get to campus every day, and Duryad is even further.

Thanks! The page listed as describing Exeter halls is super old and only describes about half of them in depth. So - in catered halls, how are you supposed to make your own lunches? (i assumed catered don't have full-on kitchens...?)Your advice would definitely be Lafrowda or st germans then. I'll look more into those, and thanks again for the info!
I would go for Lafrowda or Rowe House (any around that area really, check the map) because they're closest to everything and avoid the hills (except the main one on campus, but nobody can really avoid that). I lived in Rowe House in first year and it was ideal - we got a double bed, an en-suite and were close to campus. There was one room in each flat which didn't have a double bed but this room is huge and the most modern, so it definitely makes up for it!
Lafrowda has single beds but is better in terms of making friends, everyone seems to be a lot more social over there and there's loads of people in one block, so the block parties are great!
Those are both self catered halls; self catered was ideal for me in that you have a shared living space (which catered don't really have) so you become a lot closer to your flatmates.

Catered halls have a tiny little kitchen so that you can make lunch, but most people just buy them on campus so catered becomes a lot more expensive than self catered.
Any advice on self - catered / en suit accommodation ? thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending