The Student Room Group

The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

eex(1x2+3x+3x2+4x+4) dx\displaystyle e\int e^x(1 - \frac{x^2 + 3x + 3}{x^2 + 4x +4}) \ dx

Use \displaystyle to make the expression look a little nicer, as I've done above. :smile:

Have you needed to do any Latex typsetting at Warwick or is that second/third year project stuff?
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
yep thats what I mean.

I see thanks for the counterexample.

how would you integrate sec2(x)tan2(x) dx\displaystyle\int \sec^2(x) \tan^2(x)\ dx then? :smile:

Simple inspection shows that the integral is:tan3(x)3+C\dfrac{\tan^3(x)}{3}+\mathcal{C}.
This is essentially an application of the reverse chain rule.

To see this more explicitly you could make a substitution u=tan(x)u=\tan(x).
Original post by joostan
Simple inspection shows that the integral is:tan3(x)3+C\dfrac{\tan^3(x)}{3}+\mathcal{C}.
This is essentially an application of the reverse chain rule.

To see this more explicitly you could make a substitution u=tan(x)u=\tan(x).

I see thank you.
Reply 43
Original post by Zacken
Use \displaystyle to make the expression look a little nicer, as I've done above. :smile:

Have you needed to do any Latex typsetting at Warwick or is that second/third year project stuff?

Thanks for the tip. Nah, we have a second year essay that will require it though.
Reply 44
Original post by atsruser
With those limits? Too tired to give this a go at the moment.

Didn't even notice the limits... at least you can still do maths properly when you're tired, unlike me. :facepalm:
Thanks for pointing out. :smile:
Original post by Krollo

Spoiler

I'll give you half marks as

1) you don't need a substitution, and
2) you haven't really justified the use of that inequality.

In fact this is an application of the mean value theorem for integrals.

Is there a way to determine this integral exactly, out of interest?

I think not, but Zacken disagrees.
Reply 46
Thanks for the tip. Nah, we have a second year essay that will require it though.

Just realised the brackets look funky, use \left( and \right) to automatically fix them.

Ooh, that sounds exciting (and much better than the CATAM stuff at Camb. :tongue:.)
Original post by GuerrillaTactics
209d72c2acf1f24e4a585778b4a1fb0a.png

Tricky little integral here :colone:

It's certainly hard to read. For us old folk, anyway.
Reply 48

Zacken is wrong and really should start reading things properly. :lol:
Reply 49
Original post by Zacken

Why was that foreign student guy giving you an attitude in some other thread?
Reply 50
Original post by Zacken
Just realised the brackets look funky, use \left( and \right) to automatically fix them.

Ooh, that sounds exciting (and much better than the CATAM stuff at Camb. :tongue:.)

I tried but the brackets disappeared. :s-smilie: Yeah, dunno what I'll do it on though. Maybe Julia sets or something chaos related
Reply 51
I'll give you half marks as

1) you don't need a substitution, and
2) you haven't really justified the use of that inequality.

In fact this is an application of the mean value theorem for integrals.

1) I shall have a think...

2) One of those things on my list for things to learn properly lol. Most of my mathematics is held together with blutack and hope rather than rigour...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
This does, however, bring up the interesting question of: for which (classes of?) functions does the integral equality hold. :-)

Write y=f(x)(y)2dx=y2+c(y)2=2yyy=f(x) \Rightarrow \int (y')^2 dx = y^2 +c \Rightarrow (y')^2 = 2yy'

So for y0y' \ne 0 we have y=2yy=ce2xy'=2y \Rightarrow y = ce^{2x}
Reply 53
Original post by Louisb19
Why was that foreign student guy giving you an attitude in some other thread?

No clue, man. I've just taken to ignoring his snide comments.

I tried but the brackets disappeared. :s-smilie: Yeah, dunno what I'll do it on though. Maybe Julia sets or something chaos related

(x3x2)\displaystyle \left( \frac{x^3}{x^2} \right)

seems to work fine for me?

I did an essay on Newtons method for finding complex roots and their basins of attraction, investigated a little into Julia sets. They're fascinating. I enjoyed the topolgy behind it! :smile:
Reply 54
Write y=f(x)(y[s]wink[/s]2dx=y2+c(y[s]wink[/s]2=2yyy=f(x) \Rightarrow \int (y'[s]wink[/s]^2 dx = y^2 +c \Rightarrow (y'[s]wink[/s]^2 = 2yy'

So for y0y' \ne 0 we have y=2yy=ce2xy'=2y \Rightarrow y = ce^{2x}

Niiiiice.
Original post by Krollo
Most of my mathematics is held together with blutack and hope rather than rigour...

A bright future in physics awaits ..
Original post by 16Characters....
?

Spoiler

That looks to be right. Very nice.

I was trying to do something similar with an xxx \rightarrow -x sub. but that seems to go nowhere.
That looks to be right. Very nice.

I was trying to do something similar with an xxx \rightarrow -x sub. but that seems to go nowhere.

I am not sure it is creative thought on my part to be honest, I remember a prolonged discussion in the STEP prep thread a few weeks ago about this sort of substitution so it was still at the front of my mind :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Here's another funny, still pretty transparent one I cooked up which is sort of cheating as the test is not on integration skills (although good knowledge makes that part of it way faster)

2ex(n=0x4n(4n)!+n=0x4n+1(4n+1)!) dx \displaystyle \int 2e^x \left(\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{4n}}{(4n)!} + \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{4n + 1}}{(4n + 1)!} \right)\ dx

Original post by Zacken
No clue, man. I've just taken to ignoring his snide comments.

(x3x2)\displaystyle \left( \frac{x^3}{x^2} \right)

seems to work fine for me?

I did an essay on Newtons method for finding complex roots and their basins of attraction, investigated a little into Julia sets. They're fascinating. I enjoyed the topolgy behind it! :smile:

Ah I wasn't including the actual bracket symbol. For what? Or was this a recreational essay? :tongue: I learnt a lot about them back when preparing for Cambridge interview as something interesting/"supercurricular" to talk about but I've forgotten most of it. :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't seem to get the dx to appear lol

You need to leave a space after the backslash, so \ dx rather than \dx.

Quick Reply

Latest