The hard integral thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Kummer
Post some of your tough integrals for us, please. :biggrin:

Mine are not clever... just hard work
have a look when you want to kill some time at

A level techniques, start at the back
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/integration/integration_structured_exam_questions_part_i.pdf

Further maths, start at the back
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/integration/integration_structured_exam_questions_part_ii.pdf

I have indefinite ones too in many other places, around 20 Laplace ones, and around 40-50 on differentiation and integration under the integral sign.
http://madasmaths.com/archive_maths_booklets_advanced_topics.html
Show that, for α0\alpha \ge 0,

0(1x2)cosαx(1+x2)2 dx=παeα2\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \frac{(1-x^2)\cos \alpha x}{(1+x^2)^2} \ dx = \frac{\pi \alpha e^{-\alpha}}{2}
Evaluate 1ln3xx2(x1) dx\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\ln^3 x}{x^2(x-1)} \ dx
Reply 83
Original post by atsruser

0(1x2)cosαx(1+x2)2 dx=παeα2\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \frac{(1-x^2)\cos \alpha x}{(1+x^2)^2} \ dx = \frac{\pi \alpha e^{-\alpha}}{2}

Evaluate 1ln3xx2(x1) dx\displaystyle \int_1^\infty \frac{\ln^3 x}{x^2(x-1)} \ dx

I will try these 2 but at present I am trying that of post 69 which has seriously dented my confidence.

I am writing a neat solution for it and I am on the 4th page having done partial fractions 3 or 4 times so far.

The integrals in this thread are getting so ridiculous one would think there is a prize to be won.

NO. NO I am not going to show that. But seriously before I try it tmmrw can it be done with a level FM and maths techniques?
Original post by joostan
A little messy, but ya'll might like it:
11+x4 dx\displaystyle\int \dfrac{1}{1+x^4} \ dx.

i got shouted at when I suggested someone do that last year! Here's one that's far more reasonable:

tanx dx\displaystyle\int \sqrt{\tan{x}}\ dx.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by shamika
i got shouted at when I suggested someone do that last year! Here's one that's far more reasonable:

I put tanx dx\displaystyle\int \sqrt{\tan{x}}\ dx into one of the Special Papers I am writing at present but I did put structure to guide through
Reply 87
Original post by physicsmaths
NO. NO I am not going to show that. But seriously before I try it tmmrw can it be done with a level FM and maths techniques?

most of the latest ones are "STEP" for undergrads.
Original post by TeeEm
I will try these 2 but at present I am trying that of post 69 which has seriously dented my confidence.

I am writing a neat solution for it and I am on the 4th page having done partial fractions 3 or 4 times so far.

The integrals in this thread are getting so ridiculous one would think there is a prize to be won.

Post 82 should be right up your street. Post 83 depends on a trick that you may or may not have seen, though if I had posed it by saying "Show that blah = blah", the value may have given the game away. (In fact, I spent some time making up a tricky question earlier with you in mind based on exchange of order of integration - I was very pleased with the result, until I noticed that it could be done in 10 seconds flat by a couple of Laplace transforms :-( )

Yes, I had a go at post 69 yesterday and it blew me away. Couldn't see any way into it - maybe some contour integral approach?

As for ridiculous integrals: as long as people eventually post solutions, it's a good way of demonstrating unusual techniques, that aren't often seen - useful for all the young bucks going up for their Oxbridge interviews.
Reply 89
Post 82 should be right up your street. Post 83 depends on a trick that you may or may not have seen, though if I had posed it by saying "Show that blah = blah", the value may have given the game away. (In fact, I spent some time making up a tricky question earlier with you in mind based on exchange of order of integration - I was very pleased with the result, until I noticed that it could be done in 10 seconds flat by a couple of Laplace transforms :-( )

Yes, I had a go at post 69 yesterday and it blew me away. Couldn't see any way into it - maybe some contour integral approach?

As for ridiculous integrals: as long as people eventually post solutions, it's a good way of demonstrating unusual techniques, that aren't often seen - useful for all the young bucks going up for their Oxbridge interviews.

Q69 is DUTIS twice and it is very long

82 I can only thing complex integration, (from the answer)

83 as you said the lack of answer makes it hard
Original post by physicsmaths
NO. NO I am not going to show that.

I gave you a direct order to show that result, young fellow-me-lad, and I expect it done by the time I get up tomorrow!!! :wink:

But seriously before I try it tmmrw can it be done with a level FM and maths techniques?

If you can, then Kipling's description of a certain Mr Din would be applicable.
:sexface:

Subbing.
Original post by TeeEm
Q69 is DUTIS twice and it is very long

Not for me then. I do most of the stuff that I post here in my head/on scraps of paper, and I get bored quickly if I have to do lots of tedious algebra. I'll look at it again another time to see if there's a nicer approach.

82 I can only thing complex integration, (from the answer)

No, not complex integration (necessarily). Hint:

Spoiler

83 as you said the lack of answer makes it hard

Hint:

Spoiler

Reply 93
Not for me then. I do most of the stuff that I post here in my head/on scraps of paper, and I get bored quickly if I have to do lots of tedious algebra. I'll look at it again another time to see if there's a nicer approach.

No, not complex integration (necessarily). Hint:

Spoiler

Hint:

Spoiler

will try them
I gave you a direct order to show that result, young fellow-me-lad, and I expect it done by the time I get up tomorrow!!! :wink:

If you can, then Kipling's description of a certain Mr Din would be applicable.

? Lol
I can't do it tonight as I have a 3 n 1/2 hour exam tmmrw 😂. I will try tmmrw. Looks like parts
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

Hehe ive done this before, very imagination needing.
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

Why stop there?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
Mr Fourier should not be neglected at times like this

very nice
Even function and a cosine
I see it now
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

That just seems to end up as an even more unpleasant bunch of partial fractions, no?
Reply 99
That just seems to end up as an even more unpleasant bunch of partial fractions, no?

from my own bank ...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest