The Student Room Group

Muslim girls of TSR

I'd like to ask for your views on the Hijab, Muslim girl to Muslim girl :smile:

First of all, and I want HONESTY, why do you wear the Hijab? Is it truly out of your personal preference or are you forced into it or a mix of both? By forced I don't mean your parents will physically force you to wear it, I mean you know that your parents will not react very nicely should you refuse to wear it.

If you said modesty, can I ask why it makes you feel more modest? And what do you feel is immodest about a girl who doesn't wear the Hijab, like this:

Spoiler

This also begs the question of WHY do you want to be modest?

Also, you may be answering that the Hijab is a requirement of Islam - but what if it wasn't? What if it was mustahab? Would you still wear the Hijab if it wasn't compulsory and you would be fully accepted by your community in the same way as if you were wearing it?

Again, honest answers please.

Thank you :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Given the fact that veiling one's head isn't required by the Qu'ran, the idea it's about Islam rather than age old tradition seems flimsy.
Reply 2
Guess no one here has an opinion on this then?
Reply 3
Post the link of your thread in the ISOC forum:smile:
Original post by z33
Guess no one here has an opinion on this then?

Just wait for it. Islam- and Muslim-related threads usually take off at some point. :tongue: They're top-notch TSR bait.
Reply 5
Muslim girl here and I don't wear the hijab.
I've wondered this too, since it doesn't say cover your head in the Quran; I personally view it as a cultural thing, rather than religious.
I also never really understood the modesty value of it when I saw a majority of hijab wearing girls attract attention through their make up and clothes.
It's a bit pointless imo.
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
Just wait for it. Islam- and Muslim-related threads usually take off at some point. :tongue: They're top-notch TSR bait.

haha alright X'D
Reply 7
Original post by z33
I'd like to ask for your views on the Hijab, Muslim girl to Muslim girl :smile:

First of all, and I want HONESTY, why do you wear the Hijab? Is it truly out of your personal preference or are you forced into it or a mix of both? By forced I don't mean your parents will physically force you to wear it, I mean you know that your parents will not react very nicely should you refuse to wear it.

If you said modesty, can I ask why it makes you feel more modest? And what do you feel is immodest about a girl who doesn't wear the Hijab, like this:

Spoiler

This also begs the question of WHY do you want to be modest?

Also, you may be answering that the Hijab is a requirement of Islam - but what if it wasn't? What if it was mustahab? Would you still wear the Hijab if it wasn't compulsory and you would be fully accepted by your community in the same way as if you were wearing it?

Again, honest answers please.

Thank you :biggrin:

My opinion of modesty isnt covering you hair etc but being honest to youself and others and not exploiting yourself. I am a muslim girl who shows my arms and hair
Concept of hijab is to cover your body in clothes which are loose, so as to not display the curvature or shape of the body. This also includes covering hairs too, basically anything that attracts attention from opposite gender, covering it is part of hijab.
I think people that say hijab is not a requirement have clearly not read the Quran. Hijab is fardh for both men and women. But of course no one can be forced to wear it but it can't be denied that it is part of islam. it is like saying alcohol and pork are not prohibited you can't make random statements up without evidence all 4 scholars past have also called it fardh and these were people who studied Islam 24/7 who are probably one of the most knowledgeable people in Islam after Prophets, companions etc..

i will also add that some people that say ' well girls wear tons of make up and hijab I don't see the point'

that is their fault. It is their fault that they are not doing it in the right way. It is like saying 'i know many of my Muslim friends who drink alcohol surely in Islam there is no harm'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by momo231
Muslim girl here and I don't wear the hijab.
I've wondered this too, since it doesn't say cover your head in the Quran; I personally view it as a cultural thing, rather than religious.
I also never really understood the modesty value of it when I saw a majority of hijab wearing girls attract attention through their make up and clothes.
It's a bit pointless imo.

Those with the best knowledge of Islam would say you are wrong. Quran does say to cover hair if you look at Arabic meanings and context of verses. The 4 scholars all say it is fardh hijab on both men and women. And that last point is not a very good reason. It is like me saying I know many Muslims that do not pray 5 times a day so i must well join in my intentions are clean. Which does not really make sense? Because 5 times prayer is also fardh
There is a general distortion and misrepresentation of what Hijab means. In fact it DOES NOT MEAN HEAD COVER which is what we are being led to be believe it means.

Dress code for women is "modest dress and dress so that you will not attract attention.This applies to both men and women.
Part of the hijab requirement is for men to lower their gaze...if they comply with this most will not be able to see whether a woman's head is covered or not!!!!!!
A discussion with an Imam raised the following question...Are you complying with the Islamic Code of "dress so that you will not attract attention isf your dress is attracting racial abuse and racist attacks? He question whether a woman wearing full "burqa" was in hijab at all, if her burqa was being set on fire. Her dress was surely attracting attention and was provocative!!!!
Original post by think&question
There is a general distortion and misrepresentation of what Hijab means. In fact it DOES NOT MEAN HEAD COVER which is what we are being led to be believe it means.

Dress code for women is "modest dress and dress so that you will not attract attention.This applies to both men and women.
Part of the hijab requirement is for men to lower their gaze...if they comply with this most will not be able to see whether a woman's head is covered or not!!!!!!
A discussion with an Imam raised the following question...Are you complying with the Islamic Code of "dress so that you will not attract attention isf your dress is attracting racial abuse and racist attacks? He question whether a woman wearing full "burqa" was in hijab at all, if her burqa was being set on fire. Her dress was surely attracting attention and was provocative!!!!

Yes men have to lower their gaze but hijab is fardh both for men and women. It does include covering the hair for women. That was a rubbish analogy. Why would someone wear something that would be on fire? Of course it would attract attention. Hijab is meant to be plain not colourful and attractive which sadly some people are making it a fashion
Reply 13
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I think people that say hijab is not a requirement have clearly not read the Quran. Hijab is fardh for both men and women. But of course no one can be forced to wear it but it can't be denied that it is part of islam. it is like saying alcohol and pork are not prohibited you can't make random statements up without evidence all 4 scholars past have also called it fardh and these were people who studied Islam 24/7 who are probably one of the most knowledgeable people in Islam after Prophets, companions etc..

i will also add that some people that say ' well girls wear tons of make up and hijab I don't see the point'

that is their fault. It is their fault that they are not doing it in the right way. It is like saying 'i know many of my Muslim friends who drink alcohol surely in Islam there is no harm'

I'll just quote @Hasan_Ahmed since he did a good post about this so i'll just quote him for ya :wink:

you did not answer my questions
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed

1. Hijab is not the khimar. The headscarf is the khimar. Everyone, including muslims, calling the khimar the 'hijab' is destroying hijab:
a. Hijaab is a code of modesty comprising a dress code (jilbaab) and a code of behaviour.
b. Jilbaab and behavioural hijab apply to men AND women, whereas the headcovering is not generally considered to be for men (although this is incorrect.)
c. Therefore, calling the khimar 'the hijab' completely destroys the importance of, and even awareness of the existence of male hijab among men and women, non muslim and muslim, creating a patriarchal understanding of the concept.

2. On jilbaab.

a. The female jilbaab is mandated in this verse, (33:59):“O Prophet! Say to
your wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalaabib (plural for jilbaab). That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.”and then explained in this verse (24:30),“Say to the believing women that: they should cast down their glances and guard their private parts (from unlawful sexual intercourse - the verse implies a lack of sexually promiscuous behaviour) and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they must place their khumur (plural of khimar) over their bosoms...”i.e.

This verse does not necessarily command that women must cover their hair. The verse commands women to pull their khimar, assuming that they're already wearing a headcovering, over their chests - this is because many women of the pre-islamic arab culture used to wear headscarves for environmental reasons while leaving their cleavages exposed.

Some people argue that this means that if women aren't wearing headscarves, they just need to ensure their cleavage is covered - they maintain that the headscarf is mustahaab, or recommended, while not being obligatory.Mainstream contemporary opinions among both sunnis and shias hold the position that the headscarf is obligatory, and that removing the covering of the head from this verse is like saying that it's like wrapping a t-shirt around your stomach and leaving your breasts exposed if someone told you to make sure you were wearing a top that covered your stomach.

b. Male jilbaab is understood mainly from hadiths. Female hijab took precedence at the time of Muhammad (sawas) and so was mentioned in the Quran, because women were being stared at and prejudged as if they were still holding the status of 'property' of men as they had before Islam. Evidence being the second sentence of 33:59, given earlier, and the first sentence of 4:19"O you who have believed, it is not lawful for you to inherit (be given, perhaps by her father) women by compulsion."

i) Men and women must wear clothes that cover their 'firm' 'awrah (area of modesty) and are recommended to wear clothes that cover their 'soft' 'awrah (area of humbleness). A man's 'firm' 'awrah is defined as the distance between his navel and his knees. His 'soft' awrah is defined as that region + his arms, chest, and legs. It is also recommended, though perhaps unrelated to hijab, to cover his hair.

ii) Women's firm 'awrah is defined as their chest, stomach, hair (majority think this, I don't), and navel to knees. A woman's soft 'awrah is defined as her shoulders, arms, and feet. Some high-ranking scholars have included the face, but in the case of situations where a woman feels that she's being stared at lustfully despite covering both hard and soft 'awrah.

iii) With close family (mahrams, defined as all 'vertical' relations and siblings, not cousins, aunts, nephews etc), only 'hard' 'awrah needs to be followed. For women in front of male family members, this includes everything between the chest and knees, and in front of female family members, just the private parts.the rules are the same for men except they can also uncover their chest. The exceptional circumstances for family rules is when you feel particularly modest or when you're worried there may be incestuous sexual attraction going on somewhere.

iv) When you're around non mahrams of the same sex, you must cover your private parts. This expands to include the soft 'awrah if you're particularly modest, and the hard 'awrah if you feel that you, or one of the people present has homosexual sexual feelings.

3. On behavioural hijab, both men and women are given the same commandments. Don't be sexually promiscuous, e.g. don't uncover your soft 'awrah specifically for the sake of enticing people you're attracted to (or who may be attracted to you) and don't flirt by way of voice or text. Lower your gaze from the apparent attractiveness of men and women who you see and find sexually attractive by what is visible to you of them - and try not to think about people sexually excessively when they're around or not around you.

4. The reasons for this are simple. 'Protection of women' as so many muslims claim is not the reason, because it doesn't take male hijab into account. Hijab protects both men and women, and the only reasons for the differences in 'awrah are due to physiological changes due to the sexual dimorphic nature of the human species. Hijab protects men and women not from rape (though it could in some way,s I guess, but it's not the point) but also unwanted sexual attention as well as negating a phenomenon known in psychology known as 'the halo effect', which you can read about in this paper written by qualified experts, since I'm no expert:http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/92158/TheHaloEffect.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh someone asked me a few weeks ago.
I see it as spiritual journey as it allows one to become closer to God. To think of Allah during the day. To think twice about actions. It's not just about wearing a cloth on your head. I wear one for the intention of pleasing the Lord and try to maintain modest. I have a spiritual and emotional attachment to my hijab.
Though I'm not saying that you have to wear hijab to do these this. But it helps me remember thy Lord more often in the day.
Original post by z33
I'll just quote @Hasan_Ahmed since he did a good post about this so i'll just quote him for ya :wink:

you did not answer my questions

Sorry but if you have a heart condition you go see a cardiologist not an engineer. Similarly if you have a problem with your car you will go see a mechanic not a doctor. Why am i saying this? Because you quote random people who have little Islamic knowledge have they studied islam everyday 24/7 of their lives like the scholars of the past, companions, wives of Prophets etc... Of course not. So trying to say this guy or girl is a credible source does not help your claim.
Reply 16
Those with the best knowledge of Islam would say you are wrong. Quran does say to cover hair if you look at Arabic meanings and context of verses. The 4 scholars all say it is fardh hijab on both men and women. And that last point is not a very good reason. It is like me saying I know many Muslims that do not pray 5 times a day so i must well join in my intentions are clean. Which does not really make sense? Because 5 times prayer is also fardh

If you read my original post you will see that I have stated it is my personal opinion/interpretation.
I've read different translations of the Quran and none explicitly stated 'cover your hair', the only statement and conclusion I've seen is to dress in a modest way, ie. not diverting attention to your physique.
Your comparison to praying 5 times a day is a hollow one, praying is one of the 5 pillars, wearing a headscarf isn't.
Original post by momo231
If you read my original post you will see that I have stated it is my personal opinion/interpretation.
I've read different translations of the Quran and none explicitly stated 'cover your hair', the only statement and conclusion I've seen is to dress in a modest way, ie. not diverting attention to your physique.
Your comparison to praying 5 times a day is a hollow one, praying is one of the 5 pillars, wearing a headscarf isn't.

Again that is a poor point so just because something is not in the 5 pillars of Islam it is not important? Reading the translation does means nothing. Anyone can read but understanding and comprehending the context of verses is another matter. If you read context of verses referring to hijab you will then understand.

And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful. (Quran 9:5)

If you read this verses some people may interpret to kill polytheists. When in reality the context is in the battlefield where Allah is saying do not be afraid to kill those who want to kill you
Original post by momo231

Something like Qurbani (animal sacrifice) is not mentioned in the 5 pillars of Islam but some scholars deem it to be wajib and it is in the Quran like hijab are you saying just because it is not part of 5 pillars we should not do it when it is instructed just like hijab?

pray to your Lord and sacrifice [to Him alone]. (108:2)
:
It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Allah, but it is piety from you that reaches Him. Thus have We made them subject to you that you may magnify Allah for His Guidance to you. And give glad tidings (O Muhammad SAW) to the Muhsinun (doers of good). (22:37)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Something like Qurbani (animal sacrifice) is not mentioned in the 5 pillars of Islam but some scholars deem it to be wajib and it is in the Quran like hijab are you saying just because it is not part of 5 pillars we should not do it when it is instructed just like hijab?

pray to your Lord and sacrifice [to Him alone]. (108:2)
:
It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Allah, but it is piety from you that reaches Him. Thus have We made them subject to you that you may magnify Allah for His Guidance to you. And give glad tidings (O Muhammad SAW) to the Muhsinun (doers of good). (22:37)

Of what I have written you choose to focus on the part that doesn't contribute to the original point discussed in this thread; if you notice, I originally stated that I have never read an explicit statement in the Quran requiring a head covering, so you comparing it to one of the 5 pillars was pointless to begin with.

Quick Reply

Latest