The Student Room Group

International Security/Terrorism/Insurgencies MA

Hi!

Currently a third year History student at a Russell Group university. On the borderline between a 2:1 and a first.

I am looking to do a MA in International Security. I did have a look at Kings, since after a bit of research it looked like one of the best (bar LSE), but London prices and the MA cost itself is way too expensive for me to justify on one year of studying.

So I have been looking at various other universities with much cheaper entry costs. Nottingham, Leeds, Warwick and York are all on my list.

My question is whether or not it really matters doing an MA in International Security at either of these. They are all fairly well respected and I can't really find much information on league standings in the field. I know Aber is meant to be good for international relations but I cant see myself living there, even if its just for a year.

If anyone wants to give me any guidance then that would be great! I dont particularly have a career path in mind yet, might even stay on to do a doctorate. If anyone has any experiences of these course or would like to tell me why paying nearly 20 grand for 1 years worth of education in London is worth it then please do.
Reply 1
The War Studies department, which houses your course interest, is world renowned. Everybody knows of the War Studies department at King's.

But, bear in mind, it would cost around £25k for one year. That's including living costs. So, it depends how much the prestige means to you.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Hey, I am also a third year student at a Russel Group university looking at the same course/ universities!

I just received the news that my application to St. Andrews was rejected- there must have been some very strong applicants as i'm averaging a first. I'm scared to apply anywhere else now- especially when Leeds doesn't ask for a personal statement or anything, only your transcript!

Have you applied to any yet?
Reply 3
Original post by ELB141
Hey, I am also a third year student at a Russel Group university looking at the same course/ universities!

I just received the news that my application to St. Andrews was rejected- there must have been some very strong applicants as i'm averaging a first. I'm scared to apply anywhere else now- especially when Leeds doesn't ask for a personal statement or anything, only your transcript!

Have you applied to any yet?

Sorry to hear about the rejection! St Andrews rejected me at undergraduate level too!

I have not applied anywhere yet no, but have done a few drafts of a personal statement. Where do you think you will apply?

I will probably do Leeds, Nottingham and Warwick - not sure I will get offers but worth a shot!
Reply 4
I am also applying for a PG degree in International Security!
So far I got offers from Durham and Bristol, still waiting for a reply from St. Andrews, Birmingham and Exeter.

As an international student I am still not sure which Uni is the best choice. Any recommendations?

Ah and happy new year! :smile:
Reply 5
I applied to Leeds, Nottingham and Warwick and so far have offers from Nottingham and Warwick

Warwick is more broad and is just international security whereas Notts is International Security and Terrorism.

Still waiting on Leeds but really unsure which to go for if I get three offers....
Reply 6
How is everyone doing with their applications? I received an offer from King's yesterday 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ELB141
How is everyone doing with their applications? I received an offer from King's yesterday 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!

I have all three offers, Warwick, Leeds and Nottingham.

Still unsure where to pick though, just gonna apply for some scholarships and see what happens.
Reply 8
Original post by DelBoy12
Congratulations!

I have all three offers, Warwick, Leeds and Nottingham.

Still unsure where to pick though, just gonna apply for some scholarships and see what happens.

Thank you, and you!

They all look great courses, I got an offer from Leeds too. The only thing that put me off applying to Warwick was the lack of modules on terrorism. Although it would have been good to broaden my horizons.

I have to pay a deposit to Kings to accept the place, so I'm going to have to be pretty sure on my decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending