The Student Room Group

"Being transexual is a disorder" Discuss

I want to know the general consensus of the crazy demographic that is TSR.

I personally see to transexuallity as a serious mental disorder.

I can understand people of a different sexuality, but to me, wanting to remove your own genitals is a serious and maladaptive issue that does not get taken seriously enough; people are often liberally stating things like "they should do what they like" which is great and all, but when you're wanting to harm yourself because you perceive your body to be wrong. Then that becomes an issue. I could also state "she just thinks she's a bit fat, you should let her starve!" against Anorexia, another mental illness with serious physiological effects.

I don't hate people for being transgender, I just don't understand why people don't see it as a mental illness that needs to be treated. ELI5. If you disagree, state why, I'm a curious fellow. I think I brought this up with my mates and the general perspective was "omg you cant say controversial!!11" so I think I need new friends, but more importantly this is why I'm here to openly ask for a good discussion.

Also, with the crazy demographic that is TSR, I can't wait to see how this thread derails into an islamophobic rant about how we should bomb syrian refugees. I'm not even joking, a thread about Christianity and Black People would go on to talk about whats wrong with Islam. Let's not have that here.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh Yeah it is. It's called gender dysphoria.
I think it has something to do with being PC and the acceptance of transgenders. It is well and good until parents start dressing their kids as the opposite gender and drill it until their minds they're the opposite gender.
And the bathrooms. Soon any pervert can just walk into the lady bathroom no questions asked and scream transgender when they want. It's one thing to do drag or cross dress but it's whole different ball park to demand others call you the opposite gender when you're not. Drag Queens and cross dresser dress like the opposite gender for fun but transgenders? They believe throwing on a wig and some "hoeish" outfits makes them a woman. Women transgenders have no manhood. They just like the idea of looking like one. I mean if people are going to allow others or encourage people to damage their bodies and make an irreversible choice then they should let those who don't feel like they should be abled to be disabled.
ive seen ppl say that u don't have to have gender dysphoria to be trans and like that seems total bull**** to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Macy1998
I think it has something to do with being PC and the acceptance of transgenders. It is well and good until parents start dressing their kids as the opposite gender and drill it until their minds they're the opposite gender.
And the bathrooms. Soon any pervert can just walk into the lady bathroom no questions asked and scream transgender when they want. It's one thing to do drag or cross dress but it's whole different ball park to demand others call you the opposite gender when you're not. Drag Queens and cross dresser dress like the opposite gender for fun but transgenders? They believe throwing on a wig and some "hoeish" outfits makes them a woman. Women transgenders have no manhood. They just like the idea of looking like one. I mean if people are going to allow others or encourage people to damage their bodies and make an irreversible choice then they should let those who don't feel like they should be abled to be disabled.

Is ones sex defined solely by what is between ones legs or also by what's between ones ears?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Howard
Is ones sex defined solely by what is between ones legs or also what's between ones ears?

The penis or vagina is what makes an animal a boy or girl. Or do we consult with the animal first to determine what would it like be called?
Reply 5
The penis or vagina is what makes an animal a boy or girl. Or do we consult with the animal first to determine what would it like be called?

I'm not sure how observant you are but have you ever noticed how women/girls think differently from men/boys? They are wired quite differently wouldn't you agree?
Reply 6
Original post by Howard
Is ones sex defined solely by what is between ones legs or also what's between ones ears?

To me it seems so. How can you expect a man to take on the roles of a woman, do you honestly believe some how he is going to develop a uterus, eggs, the correct balance of hormones (e.g estrogen), or anything remotely comparable to the female reproductive system?

Our sexual organs define our gender - there is no blur, or confusion, but there is this synthetic mask over this that society has placed, the idea that a man can be a woman not something that is 'fine'. From a biological stand point it is clear that gender cannot be ambiguous.

I don't really know how one can define sex by their feelings. These emotions, teachings, ideas of an unambigious sex, are taught to us through the media and society in general and the ideas that gender is not innate is absurd.
No.
Reply 8
Original post by Howard
I'm not sure how observant you are but have you ever noticed how women/girls think differently from men/boys? They are wired quite differently wouldn't you agree?

Yes. But my main concern is : how does one feel the opposite sex?

Is the opposite sex just a feeling? And doesn't it have to do with how much gray matter us in the brain? I read an article on that. That can be very problematic. There could be a hormone issue going through the brain. And if it sex is determine by how you feel so locker rooms be coed or a man shower in the girl locker room or a woman showering in the boy locker room? And also let's say you happen to see a boy in agirl dress changing. I'm assuming you are a male yourself. Does the fact you and him have a penis determine he is a man or the fact he is wearing a girl outfit make him a girl?
Okay, I was waiting for a ridiculing response, before I decimate them with my arguments (only kidding.)

I'd like to first just clear up some deifnitions for people, and show why your question merely isn't applicable.

Gender dysphoria = the distress and confusion about your sense of self and sex.
Trans-gender = label given to those whose sense of self don't align with their sex at birth.
Transsexual = label given to those who have transitioned at all e.g. via gender reassignment surgery or hormonal therapy (though often used interchangeably with trans-gender..)(Not aware of any other transitioning methods.)

If that's the definition, how can that be the mental illness?
Gender dysphoria is a mental illness, whilst being trans-gender or transsexual is not.
You're going to have to attribute the mental illness to another thing or phenomenon or what not.
Reply 10
Yes. But my main concern is : how does one feel the opposite sex?

Is the opposite sex just a feeling? And doesn't it have to do with how much gray matter us in the brain? I read an article on that. That can be very problematic. There could be a hormone issue going through the brain. And if it sex is determine by how you feel so locker rooms be coed or a man shower in the girl locker room or a woman showering in the boy locker room? And also let's say you happen to see a boy in agirl dress changing. I'm assuming you are a male yourself. Does the fact you and him have a penis determine he is a man or the fact he is wearing a girl outfit make him a girl?

You seem to be more interested in various potentially problematic locker room scenarios than addressing the actual topic.
I mean if sex / gender are social constructs them we might as well let men and women share the same every thing and pretend biological differences don't exist. Before we label animals with penis or breasts and vaginas their sex we should get an animal whisperer to prevent calling them bring called wrong pronouns. Everything sounds great until the kids change their legal names at 5 from Nick to Nicki, and battling puberty and becoming depressed because nick cannot naturally get boobs. Guys are going to feel uncomfortable pissing with ladies inside the bathrooms and men might start demanding urinals in the ladies bathroom.
Original post by Howard
You seem to be more interested in various potentially problematic locker room scenarios than addressing the actual topic.

I am :tongue:
Because this is actually happening and being considered in the USA. Once you change the definition of gender and sex there are no lines drawn. There are biological differences between girls and boys. Men cannot give birth, or get periods. Women cannot form sperm. Animals don't choose what gender they are but people think gender is a free for all stance? I
(edited 8 years ago)
No.

Curious, if their transition greatly improved their quality of life, would you still disagree with that option being available to them?
Original post by eternaforest
ive seen ppl say that u don't have to have gender dysphoria to be trans and like that seems total bull**** to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't.
I'll give you a mock scenario:
Sam is born and is of the sex male at birth
Sam experiences distress and confusion about their sense of self and sex
Sam has gender dysphoria
Sam's sense of self doesn't align with their sex
Sam is trans-gender
Sam transitions by gender reassignment surgery or hormonal therapy
Sam is transsexual
If Sam no longer feels the distress and confusion, Sam no longer has gender dysphoria, but is still trans-gender (and transsexual.)
Original post by Howard
Is ones sex defined solely by what is between ones legs or also by what's between ones ears?

I'd say about the brain part, that that's more got to do with gender (although I know this wasn't directed at me. Just felt like airing my opinion on this.)

Original post by TrojanH
To me it seems so. How can you expect a man to take on the roles of a woman, do you honestly believe some how he is going to develop a uterus, eggs, the correct balance of hormones (e.g estrogen), or anything remotely comparable to the female reproductive system?

Our sexual organs define our gender - there is no blur, or confusion, but there is this synthetic mask over this that society has placed, the idea that a man can be a woman not something that is 'fine'. From a biological stand point it is clear that gender cannot be ambiguous.

I don't really know how one can define sex by their feelings. These emotions, teachings, ideas of an unambigious sex, are taught to us through the media and society in general and the ideas that gender is not innate is absurd.

#justsaying Sex isn't that simple; it's not just XX for a girl or XY for a boy. Haven't you ever heard of the phenomenon called "intersex" and the causes of such? (Though it is very much distinct from the causes of being trans-gender.)

Also, you talk about biological roles, when it can merely mean behaviour; them adopting the typical behaviour of the opposite sex.

Sex =/= gender. They are distinct, but heavily correlated things.
Sex is down to the genotype (XX or XY), at conception (just think at birth, even though it's semantically before.)
Gender in this context is the sense of self, simply put.
I mean if sex / gender are social constructs them we might as well let men and women share the same every thing and pretend biological differences don't exist. Before we label animals with penis or breasts and vaginas their sex we should get an animal whisperer to prevent calling them bring called wrong pronouns. Everything sounds great until the kids change their legal names at 5 from Nick to Nicki, and battling puberty and becoming depressed because nick cannot naturally get boobs. Guys are going to feel uncomfortable pissing with ladies inside the bathrooms and men might start demanding urinals in the ladies bathroom.

This very much reminds me of that argument against homosexuals:
If everyone was homosexual the population would die out!"£!$!!%!

Useless and annoying (and wrong) extrapolations.
Original post by XcitingStuart
This very much reminds me of that argument against homosexuals:
If everyone was homosexual the population would die out!"£!$!!%!

Useless and annoying (and wrong) extrapolations.

They would. Thank the Lord only 2% make up the population. Am I right or am I right? :tongue:
Can you please explain to me why it is useless and annoying?Well if we all were gay every one would be disgusted to have sex with the opposite gender. Women would use sperm donors and men would use pregnant women and their sperm ( or find some way to get themselves pregnant) which should still happens now but not as much as the husband having children with the wife.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'd say about the brain part, that that's more got to do with gender (although I know this wasn't directed at me. Just felt like airing my opinion on this.)

#justsaying Sex isn't that simple; it's not just XX for a girl or XY for a boy. Haven't you ever heard of the phenomenon called "intersex" and the causes of such? (Though it is very much distinct from the causes of being trans-gender.)

Also, you talk about biological roles, when it can merely mean behaviour; them adopting the typical behaviour of the opposite sex.

Sex =/= gender. They are distinct, but heavily correlated things.
Sex is down to the genotype (XX or XY), at conception (just think at birth, even though it's semantically before.)
Gender in this context is the sense of self, simply put.

Yeah because every transgender you and I know have xyx or xxy right? Gender and sex mean the same thing. It is just the definition being switched up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending