The Student Room Group

Have I been too optimistic?

So I have AABC at AS and am predicted A*AAB at A2. I have (hopefully) got an A in my EPQ as well.

I've applied for English at York, Bristol, Southampton, Exeter and Nottingham.

Does anyone think I should choose a safety net option, just in case? Also note that my school is on the list for contextual offers basically everywhere.

Please help me, I still have the chance to change it and I don't want to end up with 0/5 offers!
Reply 1
Even if you don't necessarily need a "safety net" in order to get offers, you'll still need an insurance choice in case you don't get the final grades. I'd say switch your least favourite of those five for somewhere asking for lower grades (mind you I don't know what grades the unis you've mentioned want, so I might be talking rubbish) and use that as an insurance.

I'd use somewhere asking for A*AA-AAA as your firm and somewhere asking for AAB-ABB for your insurance if I were you, but of course you don't have to follow that :smile:

What was your AS English grade?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rachel x
Even if you don't necessarily need a "safety net" in order to get offers, you'll still need an insurance choice in case you don't get the final grades. I'd say switch your least favourite of those five for somewhere asking for lower grades (mind you I don't know what grades the unis you've mentioned want, so I might be talking rubbish) and use that as an insurance.

I'd use somewhere asking for A*AA-AAA as your firm and somewhere asking for AAB-ABB for your insurance if I were you, but of course you don't have to follow that :smile:

Thanks for your response :smile:

They range from AAA to ABB. Honestly, if I don't get those grades then I'm not sure I'd be happy going at all. My teachers are really disappointed that I didn't perform as well as I should have in my exams this year, so if I don't get my predictions then there will be trouble!

I'm just concerned, hearing about some of the choices my friends have made, that I won't get made any offers with my current AS grades.
Reply 3
Original post by fldem
Thanks for your response :smile:

They range from AAA to ABB. Honestly, if I don't get those grades then I'm not sure I'd be happy going at all. My teachers are really disappointed that I didn't perform as well as I should have in my exams this year, so if I don't get my predictions then there will be trouble!

I'm just concerned, hearing about some of the choices my friends have made, that I won't get made any offers with my current AS grades.

I'm sure you'll get offers, especially as your school is on the list for contextual offers & you've got high enough grades to meet the non-contextual ones :smile: and as long as you get into a uni that you want to go to, I wouldn't worry about what your teachers think tbh...

Honestly, I think everyone second guesses themselves after sending their UCAS off (I've got one more day to decide whether to switch one of my unis to something less "ambitious," and I might actually do it...), but I don't think you really have anything to worry about!
Reply 4
I'm sure you'll get offers, especially as your school is on the list for contextual offers & you've got high enough grades to meet the non-contextual ones :smile: and as long as you get into a uni that you want to go to, I wouldn't worry about what your teachers think tbh...

Honestly, I think everyone second guesses themselves after sending their UCAS off (I've got one more day to decide whether to switch one of my unis to something less "ambitious," and I might actually do it...), but I don't think you really have anything to worry about!

:smile: okay thanks for the advice. It's nice to be reassured!

Where are you applying, and for what course?
Reply 5
Original post by fldem
:smile: okay thanks for the advice. It's nice to be reassured!

Where are you applying, and for what course?

I've applied to UCL, Durham, Exeter, Bristol and Kent for anthropology, with AS grades AAAA and predicted AAA (I didn't bother trying to get it pushed up as I don't need an A* for any of my courses, and my school basically predicts you what you got at AS unless you need higher).
Reply 6
I've applied to UCL, Durham, Exeter, Bristol and Kent for anthropology, with AS grades AAAA and predicted AAA (I didn't bother trying to get it pushed up as I don't need an A* for any of my courses, and my school basically predicts you what you got at AS unless you need higher).

Mm, sounds delightful. Best of luck with your offers, I think you should stick to what you've chosen.

(My AS English grade was an A, just saw your post edit)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by fldem
Mm, sounds delightful. Best of luck with your offers, I think you should stick to what you've chosen.

(My AS English grade was an A, just saw your post edit)

Thank you! Best of luck to you too :smile:

And yeah, I was just checking it wasn't the C because that would definitely affect things..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending