The Student Room Group

Advice on men's makeup

I'm a 17 year old guy and I love clothes and makeup, understand I'm not a cross dresser it's got nothing to do with wanting to look like a woman I'm comfortable with my gender. I regularly wear tinted moisturisers and less often use concealer and subtle lipsticks. I've also gone the full Shabang for fancy dress parties as it's easier to pass it off as a joke however I don't always like the way the whole hint looks as I end up feeling like a clown even if I'm told it's good. Just wanted to know what people think of men in makeup and any advice for a guy wanting minor->medium level makeup that doesn't focus solely on looking like a girl?
Original post by JayStone97
I'm a 17 year old guy and I love clothes and makeup, understand I'm not a cross dresser it's got nothing to do with wanting to look like a woman I'm comfortable with my gender. I regularly wear tinted moisturisers and less often use concealer and subtle lipsticks. I've also gone the full Shabang for fancy dress parties as it's easier to pass it off as a joke however I don't always like the way the whole hint looks as I end up feeling like a clown even if I'm told it's good. Just wanted to know what people think of men in makeup and any advice for a guy wanting minor->medium level makeup that doesn't focus solely on looking like a girl?

Have you ever worn guyliner and manscara?
Reply 2
Don't wear make up you were born with a penis.

But bareminerals products are good.
Reply 3
Smashbox BB water is the one.
I'm not a cross dresser it's got nothing to do with wanting to look like a woman I'm comfortable with my gender.

Doesn't sound it
Reply 5
Well I've worn eyeliner and mascara but ive never bought any specific to guys, tbh i have quite long eyelashes so mascara is usually unnecessary.
Original post by Josh Lyman
Doesn't sound it

Really dont care if you dont like a guy in makeup but could you please explain why you think that?

Original post by Goaded
Smashbox BB water is the one.

Thanks! Ill look into it.

Original post by lou 22
But bareminerals products are good.

oh yeah i think debehams sells them ill have a look :smile:
No
Reply 7
Not the norm, doesn't make you look any better - only stranger.

Ok, so its the issue of not being conventional? Sure thats not just the reason you wouldn't do it?
Also it doesnt have to make you look strange, it can make you look good and not even be particularly noticeable, take virtually any male film star for example.
Reply 8
Film make up or before you go in front of a stage, that's understandable but a male wearing mascara is just odd looking

People wear make up to make themselves look more attractive or a certain way that they find stimulating/appealing whether its sexually or more abstractly. Why is it differant if you trying to show it off to thousands or millions of people instead of just the few you bump into in a day? Can i ask do you just think men in makeup unattractive (put aside the fact your probably straight for a second) or do you think its actually wrong or offensive in some way for them to do it?

Hey. I think you might like to take a look at this youtube channel:

It is mostly women's make up but I think he does men's tutorials as well. He's really good, and as you can tell he isn't trying to look feminine at all.

Also ignore any ignorant and nasty comments you'll probably get on here, some people just hate the thought of someone doing something that doesn't fit into their norms or what they think is acceptable and so they lash out like children.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvoAe__WFYMNAEN-C-CtYA
Original post by SophieSmall
Hey. I think you might like to take a look at this youtube channel:

It is mostly women's make up but I think he does men's tutorials as well. He's really good, and as you can tell he isn't trying to look feminine at all.

Also ignore any ignorant and nasty comments you'll probably get on here, some people just hate the thought of someone doing something that doesn't fit into their norms or what they think is acceptable and so they lash out like children.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvoAe__WFYMNAEN-C-CtYA

He got a good video on that

[video="youtube;hz_WLcUe8As"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz_WLcUe8As[/video]
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
He got a good video on that

[video="youtube;hz_WLcUe8As"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz_WLcUe8As[/video]

Wayne's the best.
Reply 12
Well I've worn eyeliner and mascara but ive never bought any specific to guys, tbh i have quite long eyelashes so mascara is usually unnecessary.

Really dont care if you dont like a guy in makeup but could you please explain why you think that?

Thanks! Ill look into it.

oh yeah i think debehams sells them ill have a look :smile:

They do :smile: or there is feel unique that usually has it a bit cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest