The Student Room Group

Help, could I apply to uni this year?

Any helpful response COULD be life changing for me so it will be appreciated. :smile:
Ok so I didn't really start sixth form off too well, I had bad GCSE's and I wanted to do Math related subjects, because I have wanted to do a maths degree since I knew what one was. However, the school put me in to do maths, art, and english as I didn't meet the entry requirements for (say) further maths and physics.
As you might be able to tell at this point I couldn't do the AS in english. But I got a B in maths and a C in photography.
Since going back to A2 the school have agreed to let me do AS further maths alongside A2 maths and photography. I am doing a lot better this year and I am expecting to have at the end of this school year :-
A/A* in maths
A/B in art
A in AS further maths
My question is, if I apply to university this year could I get into a russell group (even if that is a maths foundation course). Being under the assumption that foundation courses ask for lower entry requirements.

If this isn't possible, that's fine I will finish the further maths and other things to build a good personal statement.
Reply 1
Original post by GeorgeMath
Any helpful response COULD be life changing for me so it will be appreciated. :smile:
Ok so I didn't really start sixth form off too well, I had bad GCSE's and I wanted to do Math related subjects, because I have wanted to do a maths degree since I knew what one was. However, the school put me in to do maths, art, and english as I didn't meet the entry requirements for (say) further maths and physics.
As you might be able to tell at this point I couldn't do the AS in english. But I got a B in maths and a C in photography.
Since going back to A2 the school have agreed to let me do AS further maths alongside A2 maths and photography. I am doing a lot better this year and I am expecting to have at the end of this school year :-
A/A* in maths
A/B in art
A in AS further maths
My question is, if I apply to university this year could I get into a russell group (even if that is a maths foundation course). Being under the assumption that foundation courses ask for lower entry requirements.

If this isn't possible, that's fine I will finish the further maths and other things to build a good personal statement.

I mean yeah you definitely could because those grades, both the set you have at AS, and the ones you are predicted are not bad by any measure, so if you wanted to "test the waters" so to speak and send off a few applications this year, it wouldn't be the worst thing. In fact it could give you a lot of choice.

However, I personally think that you should concentrate on getting the best results you can this year, and then finishing off further maths, doing lots more maths, and applying straight to university next year.

My reasons are that you won't have three full A-Levels by the end of this year no matter how well you do, which most Universities in the grade bracket you seem to be aiming for will require. There's also the fact that just concentrating on your current A-Levels without swinging back and forth will likely help you get better results so you can aim higher next year (i.e. go for that A*AA combo!). I also don't know how much a foundation year will teach you compared to finishing your further maths A-Level. Someone else can correct me on this but I'd be inclined to think that taking that extra year to finish the A-Level plus look in to some super curricular maths would be more beneficial in terms of building your knowledge base and also developing mathematical maturity.

(But this is also under the assumption that you would of course be motivated throughout the year and wouldn't stagnate, which could very well happen even if you think it won't. In general just take all this advice as my general opinion and definitely ask teachers and heads of years and anyone with experience of Uni who has knowledge of your studying habits before making this decision at the end of this year.)

Quick Reply

Latest