The Student Room Group

What should I prepare for the application for mathematics and computer science course

I am in Year 12 now and studying maths, further ma,physics and economics in AS. I got gold in senior maths challenge and only one mark less than the BMO threshold. I am wondering what should I prepare for the application next year, like competitions, activities,especially competitions on computer science since I know little about them. And...I want to know if BMO really matters...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I am a current year 13 student with 4 offers for Maths and Computer Science. I think doing some extra reading around the subjects may help as this shows enthusiasm for the course. For example I mentioned that I had read "Fermat's Last Theorem" and "The Code Book", both by Simon Singh. In terms of other activities I mentioned the maths challenges as well as the taking part in the team challenge. For the computer science side of things I mentioned that I had been attempting problems from https://projecteuler.net/ and that I was learning Python.
Original post by NamelessPersona
Hey, I am a current year 13 student with 4 offers for Maths and Computer Science. I think doing some extra reading around the subjects may help as this shows enthusiasm for the course. For example I mentioned that I had read "Fermat's Last Theorem" and "The Code Book", both by Simon Singh. In terms of other activities I mentioned the maths challenges as well as the taking part in the team challenge. For the computer science side of things I mentioned that I had been attempting problems from https://projecteuler.net/ and that I was learning Python.

Hey thanks that's really useful, where were your offers from? I'm thinking of doing the same thing (doing Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Physics and Computing A-Level), would you recommend the EPQ for CompSci?
Original post by MJackson998
Hey thanks that's really useful, where were your offers from? I'm thinking of doing the same thing (doing Maths, F.Maths, Chem, Physics and Computing A-Level), would you recommend the EPQ for CompSci?

I have offers from Bath, Bristol, Exeter and Loughborough. I haven't got much experience with the EPQ as I haven't done it myself, so you may be better off asking somebody else. However since you are already doing so many subjects you should judge whether you will have enough time to take on something else. I think the universities would rather see higher grades in your subjects than an extra
qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest