The Student Room Group

Should I go on a 'date' with him?

I was talking to this guy for a few days and then we skyped each other. It was kind of awkward but we stayed on for around an hour. We kept talking and then my friend slept over at my house on the weekend and we ended up skyping him until after 4am and we arranged to meet the next day. We met in a shopping place as I needed to go shopping and he came with us and seemed happy to come with us. We all went to McDonald's and we were all together for a few hours before we went home. I started off being awkward and shy but after awhile I could easily talk to him which is good but my friend was there. I did talk to him when we were alone as well but she was still around so this could have been a reason but I don't know :biggrin:

We still talk a lot and we skyped for a couple of hours last night and neither of us really wanted to hang up but I was falling asleep. Anyways, he has asked me to 'go and get some food with him' before I go (I'm going on a three week work experience trip you Germany with my college on Sunday). I'm not sure what I should do because I'm pretty sure I actually dopant to go as he's a really nice guy and I can talk you him and I feel comfortable with him but it would be the first time we would be alone and I'm not good at eating in front of people - especially guys D:

So, it's not that I'm scared that it won't be safe or anything as I have met him before and we would be in a public place but I guess I'm just scared that I'll be all shy and awkward and take forever to eat things which might annoy him.. He seems to really want to meet me again and my friend told me that he told her that he likes me but I don't know.. I guess I'm just paranoid about these things D:

Also, how much money should I take? I find it hard to let guys buy me things (not that I've actually been on a 'date' before..) but I wouldn't want to seem ungrateful either.. :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
I was talking to this guy for a few days and then we skyped each other. It was kind of awkward but we stayed on for around an hour. We kept talking and then my friend slept over at my house on the weekend and we ended up skyping him until after 4am and we arranged to meet the next day. We met in a shopping place as I needed to go shopping and he came with us and seemed happy to come with us. We all went to McDonald's and we were all together for a few hours before we went home. I started off being awkward and shy but after awhile I could easily talk to him which is good but my friend was there. I did talk to him when we were alone as well but she was still around so this could have been a reason but I don't know :biggrin:

What did you get?
How old are you? You're not good at eating infront of people? There isn't an art to eating, don't over complicate it. Eating is something everyone has to do to survive, so you needn't worry about that one. Its not like he will run to his friends and say ''oh my God she picked up her burger with two hands and ketchup dripped on her chin''. Table manners are a must of course and as long as you don't eat with your mouth open etc you're good. If you eat slow it's okay, keep the conversation going inbetween.

We still talk a lot and we skyped for a couple of hours last night and neither of us really wanted to hang up but I was falling asleep. Anyways, he has asked me to 'go and get some food with him' before I go (I'm going on a three week work experience trip you Germany with my college on Sunday). I'm not sure what I should do because I'm pretty sure I actually dopant to go as he's a really nice guy and I can talk you him and I feel comfortable with him but it would be the first time we would be alone and I'm not good at eating in front of people - especially guys D:

So, it's not that I'm scared that it won't be safe or anything as I have met him before and we would be in a public place but I guess I'm just scared that I'll be all shy and awkward and take forever to eat things which might annoy him.. He seems to really want to meet me again and my friend told me that he told her that he likes me but I don't know.. I guess I'm just paranoid about these things D:

Also, how much money should I take? I find it hard to let guys buy me things (not that I've actually been on a 'date' before..) but I wouldn't want to seem ungrateful either.. :redface:

You just sound nervous to me :smile: which is completely normal, and If you like him, go for it. Btw good on you for meeting him with a friend and being sensible talking to him first.

Anyway, its completely normal to be worried about your own habits whilst dating, god I was. Just let him know you're a bit nervous, but as long as you're polite and not rude then you can't help how you eat, if you're awkward etc.

Money wise, just assume you will both be paying for your own things. It shows independence, if he's a gent he will offer but for the first few dates I'd pay for your own things.

I have always paid on any date i've ever been on, but its not everyone's jam and if i had met a girl before my current partner that was adamant she wanted to pay for herself i'd let her, as you don't want to seem like you're belittling someone.

Anyway, good luck, hope it goes well :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Use Err Name
What did you get?

Chicken nuggets, chips and ícecream why? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by phunky_fresh
How old are you? You're not good at eating infront of people? There isn't an art to eating, don't over complicate it. Eating is something everyone has to do to survive, so you needn't worry about that one. Its not like he will run to his friends and say ''oh my God she picked up her burger with two hands and ketchup dripped on her chin''. Table manners are a must of course and as long as you don't eat with your mouth open etc you're good. If you eat slow it's okay, keep the conversation going inbetween.

I'm 19. But it's nothing to do other how old I am.. I've never really felt comfortable eating in front of people but I think I am getting better at it and my doctor recently told me that I have anxiety so it could be a part of that..
I never eat with my mouth open :biggrin: eww D:

Excellent choice, A+ for effort.
Reply 7

Oh I love a good nugget. Leave the ice cream out though; that's for teenage middle class white girls, bro.
I'm 19. But it's nothing to do other how old I am.. I've never really felt comfortable eating in front of people but I think I am getting better at it and my doctor recently told me that I have anxiety so it could be a part of that..
I never eat with my mouth open :biggrin: eww D:

I was genuinely curious about your age. I didn't ask in relation to the food thing. Haha
Original post by Davalla
Oh I love a good nugget. Leave the ice cream out though; that's for teenage middle class white girls, bro.

Tbf OP doesn't sound too far off that
Original post by NoHeroes94
You just sound nervous to me :smile: which is completely normal, and If you like him, go for it. Btw good on you for meeting him with a friend and being sensible talking to him first.

Anyway, its completely normal to be worried about your own habits whilst dating, god I was. Just let him know you're a bit nervous, but as long as you're polite and not rude then you can't help how you eat, if you're awkward etc.

Money wise, just assume you will both be paying for your own things. It shows independence, if he's a gent he will offer but for the first few dates I'd pay for your own things.

I have always paid on any date i've ever been on, but its not everyone's jam and if i had met a girl before my current partner that was adamant she wanted to pay for herself i'd let her, as you don't want to seem like you're belittling someone.

Anyway, good luck, hope it goes well :smile:

I don't understand people who meet people on the internet who refuse to skype first or meet with friends as it just seems suspicious o.o

I guess so.. What would I say though? I've already told him that I can't eat in front if guys but I did it at McDonald's - u was next to him then though :biggrin:

What would I say though? He offered to pay for us in McDonald's too but I was like no it's Okayama my mum gave me and my friend money for food :biggrin:

Thank you :P
Original post by jonwithnoname
Excellent choice, A+ for effort.

Okay?
Original post by Davalla

What??
Original post by phunky_fresh
I was genuinely curious about your age. I didn't ask in relation to the food thing. Haha

Oh okay, sorry :biggrin:
Original post by Davalla

If you have the mentality that you some how outgrow ice cream then I really don't know what to say, other than I'll have yours :wink:

I'm confused, do you like him??
Well I'm still getting to know him as we've only met once and skyped a few times :biggrin:
Go for it, and if you're still confused after the date then maybe he's not the person for you

Quick Reply

Latest