The Student Room Group

What social class are you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IamJacksContempt
Stop letting anecdotal bias cloud your judgement. Of course many rich people and ceo got where they were due to working hard and continue to work hard. But not every wealthy person has had to work hard for their position.
the vast majority do...excluding royalty. Have you got any examples...?
Original post by Mathematicus65
the vast majority do...excluding royalty. Have you got any examples...?

And what are you basing that on? Just your dad? And sure I can give you pointless examples if you wish. Paris Hilton, Kardashians...

Even many wealthy individuals who worked hard to start new business have had head starts or safety nets thanks to their wealthy families.

Do you think Bill Gates or Zuckerberg would have dropped out of Havard if their families weren't wealthy and there to provide a safety net?
Reply 82
Original post by IamJacksContempt
And what are you basing that on? Just your dad? And sure I can give you pointless examples if you wish. Paris Hilton, Kardashians...

Even many wealthy individuals who worked hard to start new business have had head starts or safety nets thanks to their wealthy families.

Do you think Bill Gates or Zuckerberg would have dropped out of Havard if their families weren't wealthy and there to provide a safety net?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bill gates dropped out because he had a solid business idea. Zuckerberg went to MIT not Harvard, and again he was earning millions first. Paris Hilton made her money.

Zuckerberg was not wealthy neither was gates
Working class or lower middle class in terms of background: grandfathers were both skilled labourers, grandmothers were housewives. Neither of my parents went to university and their joint income is far below the national average. I went to a state school and was the second in my family (after my sister) to go to university.

In terms of where I'll actually end up though, squarely middle class I guess. I have one degree, and when I finish my current one I'll be a doctor. I also (jointly) own my own house. So wherever I came from, there has to come a point where it doesn't make sense to think about myself in those terms any more, because I've found/made my own niche.

The concept of class is pretty nebulous, I guess.
I'm definitely classy :girl:
Reply 85
Original post by Maggie_O
I'm definitely classy :girl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously
Original post by Danny McCoyne
The self-hate is real. Not every black person has been to a ghetto or grown up in one. Stop pretending like you're the exception, I'm sure it gives you a great sense of personal accomplishment but you need to realise that having prejudices about your own race is not positive. If you as a black person think that all black people can be reduced to a single stereotype how do you expect white people to respect black people or more specifically how do you expect white people not to be prejudiced/racist against you?

There's this trend in the black community, and I'm sure it exists in other minority communities too, whereby a few attempt to distance themselves from their own people when they think they've 'made it' and they attempt to seek validation from white people as you have just done by insulting their own roots. IMO you're disgraceful.

I'm black, both my parents have multiple degrees including PhDs and "I've never been to a ghetto" so where is my prize?

👐

Original post by sw651

What are you chatting?
With my background, I would be classed as working class.
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Bill gates dropped out because he had a solid business idea. Zuckerberg went to MIT not Harvard, and again he was earning millions first. Paris Hilton made her money.

Your post is full of utter stupidity. Go away and do some homework
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

Mark went to Harvard mate.. Did you not watch the movie?

He even went back to teach an intro to CS class.

EDIT: Both Bill and Mark had upper middle class backgrounds
(edited 8 years ago)
Upbringing working class in teenage years edging towards lower middle class.

Depends how you define it, as of now due to my starting wage being little better than the minimum wage I would say working class, I suppose it depends if we're talking financial or social class, they're almost two different things really.
Original post by Sazzy890
I grew up, without a shadow of a doubt, working class - my mum was a cleaner and single parent, money was tight and I went to a local comprehensive. But now I would class myself as middle class because I am a home owner, work for a bank, and have a post-graduate education. Though I don't think I am any 'better' because of that, I just happen to slot into a different 'box' by UK standards these days.

You're 25 and you already own your own home?
Our household (as in parental) is "underclass" and working class. Mum is on benefits and sister works. So not sure where that puts me individually as I'm just a student.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am working class.

The highest level of qualifications that I have are GCSEs (quite decent ones too), though there's every chance that in the next few months I'll be middle class as I'm close to getting work in marketing/management, which offers some social status as well as a high salary for someone my age. A high salary for many a lot older than myself too.
Upper-middle class.
Original post by SophieSmall
Our household (as in parental) is "underclass" and working class. Mum is on benefits and sister works. So not sure where that puts me individually as I'm just a student.

What do you study and where?
Original post by James Milibanter
What do you study and where?

Biomedical Science. LJMU.
Original post by SophieSmall
Biomedical Science. LJMU.

If you get a 2:1 or higher when you graduate, you'll probably be middle class, assuming you get a job to do with your degree within at least a year of graduation. If you end up stacking shelves then you'll be working class with a middle class degree,
Original post by James Milibanter
If you get a 2:1 or higher when you graduate, you'll probably be middle class, assuming you get a job to do with your degree within at least a year of graduation. If you end up stacking shelves then you'll be working class with a middle class degree,

Actually the kind of jobs I am qualified (and experienced) enough for once I graduate don't pay very well at all in comparison to a lot of other degrees. Seen it range from minimum wage to 22k a year. To get a well paid job in biomedical science you need years of experience and research qualifications. Though Honestly I don't mind much, I don't care much for money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending