The Student Room Group

What social class are you?

Poll

What class are you?

Quite simply, what social class do you think you are?

Scroll to see replies

bear™ is in a class of his own

:top2:
Reply 2
Original post by the bear
bear™ is in a class of his own

:top2:

Quite, I will add bear class to the poll for you :wink:
edit:dammit I can't
well ive always considered myself to be working class.

But (by UK standards) seeing as i own my home in the country and my job is classed as a professional (even if it doesnt pay that well atm) i suppose you lot would class me as middle class
lol What if your parents aren't British, and consequently have no class? :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Treblebee
lol What if your parents aren't British, and consequently have no class? :wink:

Reply 6
Original post by silverbolt
well ive always considered myself to be working class.

But (by UK standards) seeing as i own my home in the country and my job is classed as a professional (even if it doesnt pay that well atm) i suppose you lot would class me as middle class

Lower Middle Class perhaps?
Maths class.
Original post by sw651
Lower Middle Class perhaps?

Maybe, I honestly dont care.

I still class myself as working class. I just worked hard for what I have.
I'm upper middle I'd say. It's hard to know though, both my parents are from working class families.
Reply 10
Original post by morgan8002
Maths class.

Reply 11
Original post by picklescamp
I'm upper middle I'd say. It's hard to know though, both my parents are from working class families.

Well, I would say that probably would put you either middle or upper, depends on your own situation now I guess
Original post by silverbolt
Maybe, I honestly dont care.

I still class myself as working class. I just worked hard for what I have.

Does your income derive from physical labour, human capital or physical capital?

(ie do you use your body, your brain or your wealth)?
Working
Upper Middle Class

- Went to private school (international ones to boot) for 13 years
- Live in a predominantly upper middle class suburban neighbourhood a high percentage of kids here get the train into town to go to their (private) school and everyone else just sends them off to the good state primary school
- Both my parents have advanced degrees
- Both my parents have been executives at one point in their careers (not so much now, after a tragic event happened 5 years ago)
- Most of my friends (from my old school) have well off and professional parents
- I've never been to a ghetto despite being 'black' lol
- I speak a couple languages, and have been to upwards of 20+ countries on vacation
- I went to a manners and etiquette class for about 3 years as a child
- The rest of my family are all professionals, including doctors, bankers, architects, professors etc

Not sure what else to comment on really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Part of the underclass, technically beneath working class but that comes closest.
Reply 16
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Part of the underclass, technically beneath working class but that comes closest.

+1 Because I like your username
Reply 17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_structure_of_the_United_Kingdom

I'm Technical middle class culturally, but upper middle financially
Reply 18
Original post by Danny McCoyne
The self-hate is real. Not every black person has been to a ghetto or grown up in one. Stop pretending like you're the exception, I'm sure it gives you a great sense of personal accomplishment but you need to realise that having prejudices about your own race is not positive. If you as a black person think that all black people can be reduced to a single stereotype how do you expect white people to respect black people or more specifically how do you expect white people not to be prejudiced/racist against you?

There's this trend in the black community, and I'm sure it exists in other minority communities too, whereby a few attempt to distance themselves from their own people when they think they've 'made it' and they attempt to seek validation from white people as you have just done by insulting their own roots. IMO you're disgraceful.

I'm black, both my parents have multiple degrees including PhDs and "I've never been to a ghetto" so where is my prize?

Actually statistically speaking people of African or Caribbean origins are more likely to live in a less affluent area. And white people do respect black people, so you have your own set of prejudices here.

And that is your opinion, if there is a stereotype they wish to break that is their own choice, there is a stereotype that black people are less educated, they don't fit into that stereotype, and they are proud of it. If you have an issue take it up with the UN, not here where you can hide behind a monitor.
Hate how "working-class" has replaced the term lower class. Its incredibly disrespectful to the thousands of Middle class and the vast majority of upper class people who have worked incredibly hard to get where they are today. As much as leftists love to believe that anyone with money has had it passed to them, that is just pure imagination. Evidently, there are exceptions with a few aristocrats, that have had very special lives, but the vast majority of business owners, managers, millionaires didn't just wake up with a pot of gold at their front door step. It takes years of dedication and genius to make it to the top; and that should be respected.

Quick Reply