The Student Room Group

Computer Science (including any joint schools) applicants 2016

Biological Sciences has one. Law has one. Hell, even History has one (and they're old news :wink: Ha! Ignore my awful jokes). Isn't it time that there was a Computer Science applicant forum?

Here we can talk about colleges we've applied to. Interview offers received, ect.

So anyone? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for the MSc program within the 20th November deadline. Was asked to answer a problem set which I just submitted. I believe there is an interview process later if they like the written answers to the problem set.
Reply 2
Finally!! I have applied for CompSci and Philosophy, at Hertford...How about you?
Reply 3
Original post by tedsmith
Finally!! I have applied for CompSci and Philosophy, at Hertford...How about you?

I applied for Comp Sci and Philosophy at Univ :biggrin: I almost applied to Herford though - lovely college with awesome philosophy tutors...

I guess you haven't heard anything back yet either?
Reply 4
Univ was my second choice but I liked the feel of Hertford and how personal it all seemed!

Nothing at all yet...the suspense is horrendous!! I haven't seen any responses regarding Comp Sci on any of the larger forums though either, have you?
Reply 5
Original post by tedsmith
Univ was my second choice but I liked the feel of Hertford and how personal it all seemed!

Nothing at all yet...the suspense is horrendous!! I haven't seen any responses regarding Comp Sci on any of the larger forums though either, have you?

I think I saw one or two people from Oriel that have an interview. One person with a rejection as well :smile:
Reply 6
Ooh okay, let me know if you hear anything today!! :s-smilie:
Reply 7
A friend of mine has interview from St Catz in Computer Science
I have a interview at St Annes, from Sunday 13th to Wednesday.
I applied for Computer Science and Philosophy at Hertford too! So anxious to hear from them! Hope it's tomorrow, can't bear the idea of having to wait another week!
Reply 10
Original post by Msachdeva789
I applied for Computer Science and Philosophy at Hertford too! So anxious to hear from them! Hope it's tomorrow, can't bear the idea of having to wait another week!

My God I know! It's insane how much I've refreshed my emails each day :P
Reply 11
Original post by Dumbledoge
Do you think they will take in more people for computer science this year? Last year there was a 42% increase in straight computer science applications for roughly the same number of places (hence why the acceptance rate was so low), if they don't increase the number of places this year it could be a lot worse...

I don't think they are going to increase the number of spaces, unfortunately :/
It's too tricky with the college system from what I heard
I applied to St Anne's for CS.

Tbh, don't even know why I'm posting on here I'll have to unfollow this thread after I get rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally feel its quite unfair that the admissions rate is so low, the average is around 20% for other courses. If the same (but probably higher) increase in applicants occurs for the same number of places this year, computer science will be even more disproportionately hard to get into. It sucks because in applying for the Computer Science course you know you are at a higher risk of not getting a place compared to applying for another, slightly less interesting, but similar, STEM subject, which is in affect a punishment for applying to the course you really wanted to. I imagine that if the acceptance rate gets really bad this year, many potentially good candidates will be deterred from applying next year, and will instead apply for a safer option (that they may not want to study as much).

I agree with you. I was thinking about applying to chemistry due to the way higher acceptance rate and my ability in the subject, but computer science is what I want to do. Another option would be Cambridge, but I don't think I will be able to complete the TSA in time due to my English capability (picked up English seriously 3 years ago), and the introduction of CSAT was a bit too late to change my mind. On the bright side, we are going to do what we like nonetheless in whatever place we will end up in.

I feel like there will be many geniuses in the interview period though.........
Reply 14
I've applied for CS at St John's, but as of yet I haven't heard anything back. Do you think all the offers for interviews have been sent out? The interview timetable says that 16th December is the interview date for CS at Oxford, and their website claims they will let you know about an interview at the latest one week before.

I'm thinking that with such a low acceptance rate, there are a lot of borderline candidates...

I agree with you all above, the low acceptance rate is so frustrating :frown:
Original post by sarack
I've applied for CS at St John's, but as of yet I haven't heard anything back. Do you think all the offers for interviews have been sent out? The interview timetable says that 16th December is the interview date for CS at Oxford, and their website claims they will let you know about an interview at the latest one week before.

I'm thinking that with such a low acceptance rate, there are a lot of borderline candidates...

I agree with you all above, the low acceptance rate is so frustrating :frown:

You might want to email them. I got my invitation for CS St Johns last Tuesday and according to their website (http://www.sjc.ox.ac.uk/2963/Candidates'-News.html) all invitations (and rejections as well most likely) have already been sent out, so you should have heard by now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
You might want to email them. I got my invitation for CS St Johns last Tuesday and according to their website (http://www.sjc.ox.ac.uk/2963/Candidates'-News.html) all invitations (and rejections as well most likely) have already been sent out, so you should have heard by now.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll email them now. Congrats on the invite!
Reply 17
Yeah that would make sense :/ this is going to be so hard

Yeah but don't worry :smile: At the end of the day there's tons of amazing universities and you'll be happy no matter where you go :smile:
Reply 18
Anyone here who got an interview call for the MSc in CS program?
I got one from Catz last Tuesday. The competition seems to be very high this year.....People with 60-65 MAT still get rejected. good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending