The Student Room Group

Best university for Medicine?

Hi guys.... Hope u all are doing well:h:
I'm new to this group and would like to get some suggestions about the best university to choose for medicine in the UK. I'm currently doing A-levels in:chemistry, biology and maths with GPR. Also can u please tell me how long it would take me to become a junior doctor from now (i'm an AS-level student).
Replies are really appreciate :u:
Thanks
Bath
Five years (six including your A2 year).
Reply 2
London Metropolitan :yy:
Reply 3
Original post by Etomidate
Bath
Five years (six including your A2 year).

Original post by CYsuxx
London Metropolitan :yy:

Stop trolling you two, we all know that the best med school is the University of Oxbridge. OP, you'll need 101% UMS average in your AS levels to have a chance of getting in, and make sure you have lots of work experience in the construction industry because that will guarantee you an interview, where you can impress them with your knowledge of banana tarsectomy.
Original post by If u dont mind
Hi guys.... Hope u all are doing well:h:
I'm new to this group and would like to get some suggestions about the best university to choose for medicine in the UK. I'm currently doing A-levels in:chemistry, biology and maths with GPR. Also can u please tell me how long it would take me to become a junior doctor from now (i'm an AS-level student).
Replies are really appreciate :u:
Thanks

Well, since nobody's given a serious answer yet, I might as well have a go:

There's no such thing as a 'best university' for medicine in the UK. Every medical school in the UK is overseen and accredited by the General Medical Council (GMC) so the syllabi are broadly similar at most medical schools, as are standards.

You may want to look at league tables if it means that much to you but, really, you will leave medical school with the same degree as everybody else and somebody who went to a university at the top of a particular league table will have little advantage over somebody who didn't when it comes to applying for foundation training.

The only 'best university' as far as medicine goes is down to you. You have to decide which university you like best, given the variation in course structures, nightlife (very important for some people), financial considerations (e.g. if you're Scottish, you could graduate debt-free if you went to a Scottish university), distance from home (also important for some people) and, perhaps most importantly, what the admission criteria are. Each medical school has its own admission criteria so it's important to apply with your strengths to maximise your chance of receiving an offer.

That last part is very important unless you're in the rare position of having a spotless academic record, high scores on admissions tests, a stellar personal statement and so on. As you're still doing ASs, I recommend you start doing some research on the application process from now so that you can plan ahead and make your application as good as possible in terms of getting relevant experience, being adequately prepared for admissions tests, all the while doing as well as possible on your ASs. Good luck. :smile:

Edit: I forgot to answer your last question! Assuming you take the standard route into medicine, don't take any gap years, and counting the current academic year, it would take you 7 - 8 years to become a junior doctor, depending on whether you undertake an intercalated degree (i.e. taking a year out during your medical degree to study something else) or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by not you
Stop trolling you two, we all know that the best med school is the University of Oxbridge. OP, you'll need 101% UMS average in your AS levels to have a chance of getting in, and make sure you have lots of work experience in the construction industry because that will guarantee you an interview, where you can impress them with your knowledge of banana tarsectomy.

oh come on! we all know pyongyang medical university in North Korea is the best Medical School....... jeeeez
Original post by Hydeman

Reported to the moderation team.
Original post by Etomidate
Reported to the moderation team.

Wonderful.
Reply 8
Wolverhampton has gotta be one of the best ive ever seen when I went to the open day. They made me wear a stab-proof vest all day though, which was weird
Original post by Ekno
Wolverhampton has gotta be one of the best ive ever seen when I went to the open day. They made me wear a stab-proof vest all day though, which was weird

Don't you see? That's what makes it one of the best uni's, they care about student safety more than anyone else.
Original post by Hydeman

There's no such thing as a 'best university' for medicine in the UK. Every medical school in the UK is overseen and accredited by the General Medical Council (GMC) so the syllabi are broadly similar at most medical schools, as are standards.

You may want to look at league tables if it means that much to you but, really, you will leave medical school with the same degree as everybody else and somebody who went to a university at the top of a particular league table will have little advantage over somebody who didn't when it comes to applying for foundation training.

The only 'best university' as far as medicine goes is down to you. You have to decide which university you like best, given the variation in course structures, nightlife (very important for some people), financial considerations (e.g. if you're Scottish, you could graduate debt-free if you went to a Scottish university), distance from home (also important for some people) and, perhaps most importantly, what the admission criteria are. Each medical school has its own admission criteria so it's important to apply with your strengths to maximise your chance of receiving an offer.

That last part is very important unless you're in the rare position of having a spotless academic record, high scores on admissions tests, a stellar personal statement and so on. As you're still doing ASs, I recommend you start doing some research on the application process from now so that you can plan ahead and make your application as good as possible in terms of getting relevant experience, being adequately prepared for admissions tests, all the while doing as well as possible on your ASs. Good luck. :smile:

Edit: I forgot to answer your last question! Assuming you take the standard route into medicine, don't take any gap years, and counting the current academic year, it would take you 7 - 8 years to become a junior doctor, depending on whether you undertake an intercalated degree (i.e. taking a year out during your medical degree to study something else) or not.

Thanks for your time mahn! Really appreciated and is was indeed helpful 👍🏼
Thank u lot!!❤️ :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending