The Student Room Group

How Does Further Maths Work?

Hey Guys,

I had a quick question for someone who has some experience with Further Maths A-Level. I'm currently teaching myself A-Level Maths(Mechanics) among other subjects, and I want to sit the exams for both AS and A2 in June. After looking through the further maths stuff, I decided that I want to start working with some Further Maths modules as well. However, I'm a little confused as to how it works. As I understand it, its not a second A-Level, more of an "add on" to your pure maths courses.

Like I said, I'm currently taking Maths Mechanics with edexcel, so C1, C2, M1, C3, C4 and M2. How could I do Further Maths in correlation with this? Are there just a few additional units that I need to take? Do the Mechanics module count towards the Further Maths A-Level?

If someone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate it. Cheers guys.
It is a second A Level.

Basically to get A Level maths you have to do 6 units, to get maths and further maths you have to do 12 units.

I did further maths REALLY wish I had done something else instead, unless you are planning to do maths at uni and onwards (which maybe you are) I think it is fairly pointless, think my time could have been spent doing something more beneficial/interesting.
FP1 and FP2 are compulsory for Further Maths, the rest is up to you for the applied modules (for Edexcel you can choose FP3 which I wouldn't really called an applied module but anywho). You need another 6 modules that you haven't done already.

As long as you ask for your previous modules to be 're-cashed' in then your exam board will arrange it so that you get the best grade possible in each A-level.

If you for example pick M3,M4,M5 and FP3 then your M1 and M2 would be guaranteed to be in your A-level Maths grade because of certain rules that the modules must follow when counting towards which grade. But don't worry too much about that, pick some modules that you think you'll be good at / interest you/ will be useful for the future and then work for them.

Some univeristies don't differentiate it as a second A-level for certain courses, but for things like Economics, Maths, Engineering etc you should be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PascalSauerborn
Hey Guys,

I had a quick question for someone who has some experience with Further Maths A-Level. I'm currently teaching myself A-Level Maths(Mechanics) among other subjects, and I want to sit the exams for both AS and A2 in June. After looking through the further maths stuff, I decided that I want to start working with some Further Maths modules as well. However, I'm a little confused as to how it works. As I understand it, its not a second A-Level, more of an "add on" to your pure maths courses.

Like I said, I'm currently taking Maths Mechanics with edexcel, so C1, C2, M1, C3, C4 and M2. How could I do Further Maths in correlation with this? Are there just a few additional units that I need to take? Do the Mechanics module count towards the Further Maths A-Level?

6 units for maths, including C1-4 and 2 applied units.
6 units for further maths including FP1, FP2 and/or FP3 and 3/4 other applied units which have not been used in maths.

For example, I'm doing IAL C12, C34, S1 and M1 for maths and F1, F2, F3, M2, M3 and S2 for further maths.
Some might do C1-4, M1 and M2 for maths and FP1-3 and M3-5 for further maths. Some might do C1-4, S1, D1 for maths and FP1-FP3, S2-4 for further maths. I hope you get the idea.

Original post by Nightwing_
It is a second A Level.

Basically to get A Level maths you have to do 6 units, to get maths and further maths you have to do 12 units.

I did further maths REALLY wish I had done something else instead, unless you are planning to do maths at uni and onwards (which maybe you are) I think it is fairly pointless, think my time could have been spent doing something more beneficial/interesting.

What are you doing/planning to do at uni? I haven't heard many people (anyone actually) saying that they regret taking A-level Further Mathematics.
Thanks for the quick answers guys; very informative :smile: I going to study for a PhD in physics, so Mechanics 3-5 (and I guess FP3) along with FP1-2 are the ones that makes the most sense and interest me the most. Thanks again for the info.
Reply 5
Thanks for the quick answers guys; very informative :smile: I going to study for a PhD in physics, so Mechanics 3-5 (and I guess FP3) along with FP1-2 are the ones that makes the most sense and interest me the most. Thanks again for the info.

Do FP3 - highly recommended you do all the pure available. You may need bits of it for M4 or M5 anyway from what I hear.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

What are you doing/planning to do at uni? I haven't heard many people (anyone actually) saying that they regret taking A-level Further Mathematics.

I did a biological sciences based degree and now doing a PhD.

It's not like I regretted taking it as such, I just don't think it has been particularly or even remotely beneficial to me.

Maybe at least try getting your undergrad first pal.
Hey Guys, I had a quick question for someone who has some experience with Further Maths A-Level. I'm currently teaching myself A-Level Maths(Mechanics) among other subjects, and I want to sit the exams for both AS and A2 in June. After looking through the further maths stuff, I decided that I want to start working with some Further Maths modules as well. However, I'm a little confused as to how it works. As I understand it, its not a second A-Level, more of an "add on" to your pure maths courses.
OK, first off you're very brave doing all this at once and don't expect full marks from the kick off; which exam board are you on? For edexcel (I do this) then it's C1-4 plus two extra units (either stats, mechanics or decision). For further maths (another A Level) you do FP1 @ AS plus two extra units (including FP2 or 3 if you wanted only one though) you might prefer mechanics. Then @ A2 you'll do FP2 or 3 then another two units (more mechanics for you). Does that make sense?

Quick Reply

Latest