The Student Room Group

Foundation year Enginnering applicant thread

I don't this thread exists and therefore decided to make one.

Post your stats in this format

Desired course:
Universities:
GCSE grades:
AS grades (achieved):
A2 grades (achieved): Only answer if you have got A2 results are retaking!
A2 grades (predicted):

Here is mine:
Desired course: Mechanical engineering
Universities: most likely, Manchester, Southampton, Nottingham, maybe sheffield and the final one unknown.
GCSE grades: 6As, 3Bs, 1 D- french
AS grades (achieved): BBBB
A2 grades (achieved): CCD- Extenuating circumstances(diabetes)
A2 grades (predicted): ABB
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh god, I've spelt the engineering wrong lol. Can a mod fix that please?
GCSE's 4 A* 5 A 1 B + Distinction
AS levels: ABBC - maths, physics, history and chemistry- extenuating circumstances- A and E admission for suspected potential fatal cardiac rhythm disorder/ cardiac arrest at start then put on anti arrhythmic that acted like a sedative and for lack of a better comparison made me almost like someone with moderate chronic fatigue syndrome.
A2 Levels (achieved): ABB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry with an A* in the epq - again extenuating circumstances- undefined mental health difficulites for which I now long term see a counsellor from the child and adolescent mental health service. Then at the time of my exams a hard swelling filled my pelvis, obstructing my bowel.
A2 Levels (predicted): A* A* A* - A* AA
Original post by Midgeymoo17
GCSE's 4 A* 5 A 1 B + Distinction
AS levels: ABBC - maths, physics, history and chemistry- extenuating circumstances- A and E admission for suspected potential fatal cardiac rhythm disorder/ cardiac arrest at start then put on anti arrhythmic that acted like a sedative and for lack of a better comparison made me almost like someone with moderate chronic fatigue syndrome.
A2 Levels (achieved): ABB in Maths, Physics, Chemistry with an A* in the epq - again extenuating circumstances- undefined mental health difficulites for which I now long term see a counsellor from the child and adolescent mental health service. Then at the time of my exams a hard swelling filled my pelvis, obstructing my bowel.
A2 Levels (predicted): A* A* A* - A* AA

Are you applying for foundation engineering or direct? Because you already have most of the requirements for direct and some won't allow you for foundation if you do maths/physics.
Original post by RiskVsReward
Are you applying for foundation engineering or direct? Because you already have most of the requirements for direct and some won't allow you for foundation if you do maths/physics.

No sorry I did not read the title of this thread (I am actually applying for Physics) but good luck with your application. I am sure it will be fine. I know someone who did the engineering foundation year Manchester- he also had very severe mitigating circumstances. In his AS year he fell very ill in Renal Failiure- had a transplant from his father. Completed AS and A2 in one year following the transplant and got BBC. He really enjoyed Manchester's foundation year and only missed the grade to stay on for the full degree by 1%, most likely due to side effects of the anti rejection drugs- so was kind of gutted to leave. Anyway he did well enough to transfer to Birmingham and do Chemical Engineering which he started this year.
Original post by Midgeymoo17
No sorry I did not read the title of this thread (I am actually applying for Physics) but good luck with your application. I am sure it will be fine. I know someone who did the engineering foundation year Manchester- he also had very severe mitigating circumstances. In his AS year he fell very ill in Renal Failiure- had a transplant from his father. Completed AS and A2 in one year following the transplant and got BBC. He really enjoyed Manchester's foundation year and only missed the grade to stay on for the full degree by 1%, most likely due to side effects of the anti rejection drugs- so was kind of gutted to leave. Anyway he did well enough to transfer to Birmingham and do Chemical Engineering which he started this year.

That's amazing! I know my mate in bham 1st year of chem engineering and he says it's pretty cool!

Best of luck in your app!

Quick Reply

Latest