The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton interview geology

Has anyone been to the interview for geology at Southampton? What was it like?
Original post by Wenwoo
Has anyone been to the interview for geology at Southampton? What was it like?

My interview went amazingly. Got shown some awesome rocks, One was a cross section of a stalactite and i was asked how i could find out where it was from and its age. The other was a sedimentary rock filled with fossils that had been created by a tsunami with a rather obvious unconformity in it. I was given an offer at the end of the interview. (he seemed impressed i brought my own hand lens). He also had some easier specimens on his table which i pointed out (selenite and phyllite).
Really friendly professors and students and I got a really good feeling about the university.

How did yours go?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jamesb3947
My interview went amazingly. Got shown some awesome rocks, One was a cross section of a stalactite and i was asked how i could find out where it was from and its age. The other was a sedimentary rock filled with fossils that had been created by a tsunami with a rather obvious unconformity in it. I was given an offer at the end of the interview. (he seemed impressed i brought my own hand lens). He also had some easier specimens on his table which i pointed out (selenite and phyllite).
Really friendly professors and students and I got a really good feeling about the university.

How did yours go?

Not been yet. Do you do geology Alevel? I have limited knowledge of rocks/minerals so not looking forward to it. Congrats on getting offer. Was it standard offer?
Original post by Wenwoo
Not been yet. Do you do geology Alevel? I have limited knowledge of rocks/minerals so not looking forward to it. Congrats on getting offer. Was it standard offer?

They said i would be getting an offer. Haven't received it through UCAS yet as the interview was yesterday and i don't want to make a fool of myself if they change their minds. I do geology a-level but also have quite allot of self taught knowledge (Learn from my passion). Make sure you can remember a few rock types and minerals. Especially igneous (felsic+mafic). I also recommend you look up rock identification such as the wentworth scale and try to learn it. Some map skills such as spotting anti/synclines and using a geological key would also be useful (look up sedimentary log interpreting and geomagnetism maps possibly?) Bear in mind that they are interested in a smart thinker, not just a smart person. They like people who don't necessarily get the right answer, but approach a problem in a scientific manner.
I think they reject people before the interview so well done on making it through :smile:
There may be some interrogating questions, but don't get upset. Remember they are interested in you as a person. Demonstrate a genuine passion for geology and try and make sure they know just how important it is to you, and you will do fine.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me and i will be really happy to help!
Reply 4
They said i would be getting an offer. Haven't received it through UCAS yet as the interview was yesterday and i don't want to make a fool of myself if they change their minds. I do geology a-level but also have quite allot of self taught knowledge (Learn from my passion). Make sure you can remember a few rock types and minerals. Especially igneous (felsic+mafic). I also recommend you look up rock identification such as the wentworth scale and try to learn it. Some map skills such as spotting anti/synclines and using a geological key would also be useful (look up sedimentary log interpreting and geomagnetism maps possibly?) Bear in mind that they are interested in a smart thinker, not just a smart person. They like people who don't necessarily get the right answer, but approach a problem in a scientific manner.
I think they reject people before the interview so well done on making it through :smile:
There may be some interrogating questions, but don't get upset. Remember they are interested in yous as a person. Demonstrate a genuine passion for geology and try and make sure they know just how important it is to you, and you will do fine.
If you have any questions feel free to pm me and i will be really happy to help!

Phew! So much to do so little time! Innondated with schoolwork this week as well as trying to prepare for interview. Thanks for your help
There may be some interrogating questions, but don't get upset. Remember they are interested in you as a person. Demonstrate a genuine passion for geology and try and make sure they know just how important it is to you, and you will do fine.

Original post by Wenwoo
Phew! So much to do so little time! Innondated with schoolwork this week as well as trying to prepare for interview. Thanks for your help

Seriously, you will not be expected to know any rocks or minerals or have any map skills if you haven't got A Level geology. The interviews are supposed to be aptitude tests, not knowledge tests. I think there are much more valuable uses of your time than memorising rocks and minerals purely for the sake of your interview (which is probably a waste of time). Demonstrating passion and an ability to think is far more important.
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
Seriously, you will not be expected to know any rocks or minerals or have any map skills if you haven't got A Level geology. The interviews are supposed to be aptitude tests, not knowledge tests. I think there are much more valuable uses of your time than memorising rocks and minerals purely for the sake of your interview (which is probably a waste of time). Demonstrating passion and an ability to think is far more important.

Good to know. Really want to get an offer so need to impress. Thanks
Reply 7
I've got a geology interview at Southampton this Saturday and since I don't take A-level geology, I'm not expecting them to ask me rock/mineral related questions and if they do ask me to identify some, it will probably be to see how I assess the rock and the reasons for my judgement (texture of rock etc). Good luck for everyone else who has interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending