The Student Room Group

how many revs to prevent a stall?

I'm new to driving, I passed but my car feels different to the one I learned it. They are both petrol but it does take getting used to. It's a 1.4litre 2002 ford fiesta and I can't constantly hear my engine revving as I don't want to stall.

Apart from the odd occasion when I panic when rolling back on a hill and quickly engage the handbrake, it's going okay. A question on that, how do people know if they're on a slight hill?

Also, I feel I'm using the handbrake a lot because I'm not comfortable with my car right now. Like the biting point is different and I'd rather waste a few seconds and get beeped than get the riding the clutch completely wrong and going into someone.
How many revs? Too many factors to say really, 1.5-2 is the usual area for most situations, might need more for hills.

How do people know they're on a slight hill? They might have been able to see the difference from down the road, alternatively, the car will roll, that's usually how I end up figuring out if I assumed it was flat anyway.

Using the handbrake a lot isn't really that bad tbh, it's cheaper to sort the handbrake out than it is to replace a clutch. You shouldn't sit on the bite to stop the car rolling, it eats through the clutch (and your wallet).
You are supposed to use the handbrake.

It is bad practice to depress the clutch or use the foot brake. I am just as guilty as most, but you should select neutral and apply the handbrake at traffic lights.

Pay attention if stopped at lights and look ahead so that you se the lead car set off. If you're a few cars behind, that's plenty time to get the brake off and into gear. It's just getting used to it.
The handbrake is my best friend fam.
If you're on a hill and you've come to a stop, put the handbrake on. Then when you wanna move apply your gas and bite as normal, then apply more gas until you feel the car pulling against the handbrake a little, then you know you'll be moving forward when you take the handbrake off.

It's good practice when the roads are empty to try "balancing" against gravity on a hill using the gas and clutch to hold the car, providing just enough power to hold it stationary and stop it from rolling back. Really enables you to get the feel of the car and will really pay off when it comes to momentary stops on hills, for example in moderate uphill stop-start traffic.
Reply 5
Oh okay, judging from the responses I'm doing it right. I feel much more secure with the handbrake engaged.

But I think yes, Woody, you make a good point, it's nice on a slight hill to be able to just move off quickly. I guess I will get better with time but I'm already starting to get more confident which is a relief!
Original post by WoodyMKC
If you're on a hill and you've come to a stop, put the handbrake on. Then when you wanna move apply your gas and bite as normal, then apply more gas until you feel the car pulling against the handbrake a little, then you know you'll be moving forward when you take the handbrake off.

It's good practice when the roads are empty to try "balancing" against gravity on a hill using the gas and clutch to hold the car, providing just enough power to hold it stationary and stop it from rolling back. Really enables you to get the feel of the car and will really pay off when it comes to momentary stops on hills, for example in moderate uphill stop-start traffic.

How do you even 'feel' the car going against the handbrake? during lessons I'd always make the car slightly move forward or I just haven't applied enough to make it move in the first place and I feel like I'm not feeling the car enough
Original post by InadequateJusticex
How do you even 'feel' the car going against the handbrake? during lessons I'd always make the car slightly move forward or I just haven't applied enough to make it move in the first place and I feel like I'm not feeling the car enough

That's basically it, except you're not actually moving forward at all -- the force is just enough to make the car move but you feel it as a forward tug (even though you're not moving forward) because it comes up against the handbrake.
1300-1500rpms will work fine.
Original post by InadequateJusticex

In short, you feel the back of the car dip/front rise and you can just feel it pulling. My instructor always just said watch for the bonnet rising.
Reply 10
In addition to what was said above ^. You can also sometimes hear your car creaking if the pull is too strong.

It basically ensures your car will definitely move forward. Easy with the clutch in slow moving traffic though. Use that energy too readily and you'll go flying into someone's rear. Clutch control is very important whether you want to use handbrake/ride the clutch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending