The Student Room Group

Loose weight first, then build muscle?

Recently i started running as i want to loose some weight, im 19 and use to weigh 15 stone. I did 30 minute runs each day and averaged about 1.9 miles. But as that was my first time running EVER i didnt realise the whole 'building it up' thing and now my shins ******* hurt like a *****.

Getting back to the point, i want to get a better body for self confidence and my plan is to loose weight first then focus on muscle building. But my friend who's into muscle building e.c.t says that its best to try and build muscle when you have fat as "its easier to turn fat into muscle than to grow straight up musle like i did". Is this true? I kinda lack the equipment for proper muscle building and dont have the funds to join a gym or go swimming e.c.t
If you don't have access to a gym, then losing weight by cycling and running is probably your best bet for the time being
Original post by CptConnor
But my friend who's into muscle building e.c.t says that its best to try and build muscle when you have fat as "its easier to turn fat into muscle than to grow straight up musle like i did"

Your friend doesn't know too much by the sounds of it :lol: You don't just turn fat into muscle.

I personally believe that it's best to start from a fairly lean base. For the first 6-12 months you don't need a real surplus to gain muscle, just eat at maintenance or slightly above and you'll gain while staying lean. Then when that stops working you can bulk with a few hundred over maintenance up until about the 2 year mark, which if done right should leave you with a bit of excess weight but not a ****load. Then from there you can trim it down to a level of bodyfat you'd be happy with and proceed with a periodised approach, for example the Lyle McDonald approach in which you aim to gain about 16lbs per 16 weeks (so 1lb a week) before cutting again to trim off any excess weight gained - this approach will have you within a 4 or 5% bodyfat range year-round (or better), for example hanging between 8-12% bodyfat year round which would mean always looking decent rather than looking like **** for half the year like the standard "bulk once a year, cut once a year" guy would with no extra benefit.

Sorry if I've waffled on a bit there and gone far into the future, but I always say if you're gonna start building your physique, go in with a plan, and I felt it necessary to give an example plan to give relevance to the fact that I recommend starting lifting from a lean base :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm a fitness instructor and have 4 years of sport science behind me and much longer in gym and boxing
you should focus on learning the movements squats, deadlift, shoulder press, chest press, lat pull and bover row
If you cant get to a gym buy cheap weights.. if you cant; make your own, if you cant; find a new hobby

Once you know these movements and i mean your central nervous system your strength gains will be huge it takes hundreds/thousands of reps so i would say using light weight endurance stuff where you can do 15-20 reps 3 sets of each movement
then gradually start increasing weight and lowering your reps - too many people start lifting heavy at 10 x 3 and their bodies dont know how to move properly it works well for a month or so but it goes downhill and they get injured or plateau after a short time because they didnt train smart.. (sounds like you when you got shin splints, ive been there many times tho.. finally learnt my lesson)

do cardio running with its variations sprints, light jog, fartlek etc
cycling is great for non weight wearing exercise and recovery days - RECOVERY DAYS thats when you build your muscle... so make sure you take them..

diet is your weight management less carbs more protein have reasonable fats fish and veg oil kinda stuff, nuts are good

if you need more details youll have to read proper articles i cbb to write on here unless someone is going to pay for proper details and youll have to do your homework
its important to lift weights as you're losing weight, you don't want to look 'skinny fat'- Google what that is if you don't know already.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Definitely cut first, keep your calories low and get plenty of cardio in. It's important that you still attempt to build muscle at the same time though otherwise you will end up with a skinny frame and loose skin.

So, do your cardio but get yourself some weights and do squats as much as you can.

Rest is important, too.
Reply 6
If you don't have the funds to go to a gym just check on google: Calisthenics.

Or basically any bodyweight exercises.

:smile: Goodluck

Quick Reply

Latest