The Student Room Group

Oxford Biomedical Sciences Applicants for 2016 Entry

Hello!

I haven't found a lot of oxford biomed applicants on here so I made a thread for us to all chat :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I suppose I'll start by saying that I've lost all hope for an interview (4.7, 3.8, 2.5A) but this thread might be useful for future interviewees.

How did everyone else react to their BMAT results?
im really not that confident either :argh:
i've applied for univ college :smile:
Reply 3
Hey, my bmat results were 5.4, 4.0, 3A. Not feeling confident at all :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by emilys106
Hey, my bmat results were 5.4, 4.0, 3A. Not feeling confident at all :frown:

remember they look at contextualised gcses too so dw :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by sr111
remember they look at contextualised gcses too so dw :smile:

I don't want to get my hopes up and then get a rejection though :frown: lol stress
Reply 6
I don't want to get my hopes up and then get a rejection though :frown: lol stress

same :frown: this week is going to be so stressful and I just hope they understand I can do better than my BMAT and interview me
Reply 7
Original post by sr111
same :frown: this week is going to be so stressful and I just hope they understand I can do better than my BMAT and interview me

me too :frown: fingers crossed though, they interview 45% of applicants!
Hello! So glad someone's made a chat - it's lovely to (sort of) meet you all ^_^

Has anyone else applied to Keble??
Reply 9
Original post by C. Ashcroft
Hello! So glad someone's made a chat - it's lovely to (sort of) meet you all ^_^

Not me, I applied to St John's :smile:

Keble is supposed to be pretty good for science though right?
Original post by C. Ashcroft

Haha it's nice to meet you too :wink: nope sorry, I've applied to St John's :biggrin:
Original post by sr111
Not me, I applied to St John's :smile:

Keble is supposed to be pretty good for science though right?

To be honest I don't imagine it matters where you apply, I imagine they'd all be brilliant!

I've got a friend who went to Keble who invited me to go and spend the day in college with her a couple of years ago and I just loved it - it's also really close to pretty much all of the science departments and libraries, which is always helpful :smile:
Reply 12
When do we find out if we're invited for interview? :smile:
Original post by NamEJ

Hopefully soon, the stress is too much D:
Reply 14
Hopefully soon, the stress is too much D:

The stress is too real! Looks like another few days of stressing :P
Reply 15
Original post by NamEJ

Looking at previous years, monday/tuesday hopefully
Hi everyone! I've applied to Magdalen (only later found out it was one of the most competitive colleges, whooops).
My BMAT scores are bang-on average according to the graphs, so I don't know how good my interview chances are, but I remain hopeful :smile: Apparently Wednesday (2nd Dec) is that deadline for people to make requests on the BMAT or something like that, so we'll start hearing back from colleges as of then.
Original post by emcowens
Hi everyone! I've applied to Magdalen (only later found out it was one of the most competitive colleges, whooops).

The Oxford system is designed in such a way that it doesn't really matter whether you apply to an over- or under-subscribed college as far as your chances of admission are concerned. :smile: Everybody who's shortlisted is allocated to a second, random college for their subject anyway and the pooling system ensures that the best applicants get a place regardless of whether they applied for a competitive college or not.
Original post by Hydeman
The Oxford system is designed in such a way that it doesn't really matter whether you apply to an over- or under-subscribed college as far as your chances of admission are concerned. :smile: Everybody who's shortlisted is allocated to a second, random college for their subject anyway and the pooling system ensures that the best applicants get a place regardless of whether they applied for a competitive college or not.

Thanks for the info! I know about the second college and all, but I thought only Cambridge did pooling.
Original post by emcowens
Thanks for the info! I know about the second college and all, but I thought only Cambridge did pooling.

They both do pooling but in slightly different ways. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest