The Student Room Group

Oxford Biomedical Sciences Applicants for 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hydeman
I'm just really shocked at how such a little-known course can get so many applicants. :s-smilie: It'll probably take me a day or two to get over it, I think.

Perhaps this was the year when everyone realised it was a little-known course and thought competition would be lower
Original post by Hydeman
I'm just really shocked at how such a little-known course can get so many applicants. :s-smilie: It'll probably take me a day or two to get over it, I think.

Yeah, last year 45% of applicants (who submitted completed applications with the BMAT) were shortlisted - this year that percentage would've been a lot lower. Ahh. :frown: where else have you applied?
Original post by bunnylord
Yeah, last year 45% of applicants (who submitted completed applications with the BMAT) were shortlisted - this year that percentage would've been a lot lower. Ahh. :frown: where else have you applied?

UCL, Cardiff, Exeter and Bristol. :colondollar: You?
Original post by sr111
Perhaps this was the year when everyone realised it was a little-known course and thought competition would be lower

I think competition is generally increasing for Oxbridge courses year on year because of the outreach efforts that they make. It's probably a result of the 'if you don't apply, you won't get in' mantra that a lot of people are applying these days. :dontknow: To be honest, at times like these, I do doubt the sincerity of those miracle stories they put on YouTube of people who got in to study medicine with only three A*s at GCSE.

It's just a load of false hope, really... :s-smilie:
Original post by Hydeman
UCL, Cardiff, Exeter and Bristol. :colondollar: You?

Ahhh great choices!!! Have you heard back from them yet??
I also applied to UCL! As well as KCL, Imperial and St. Andrews :smile:
Ahhh great choices!!! Have you heard back from them yet??
I also applied to UCL! As well as KCL, Imperial and St. Andrews :smile:

Nope, nothing yet. If I get rejected from everywhere, I'll probably think long and hard about reapplying because I'm already a gap year applicant (although this is my first UCAS application) and I don't know if I can be bothered with another application to be honest. Might as well study Natural Sciences with the Open University without any of this competition bullcrap. xD
Original post by Hydeman
Nope, nothing yet. If I get rejected from everywhere, I'll probably think long and hard about reapplying because I'm already a gap year applicant (although this is my first UCAS application) and I don't know if I can be bothered with another application to be honest. Might as well study Natural Sciences with the Open University without any of this competition bullcrap. xD

I'm sure you won't get rejected everywhere... But even if you are doesn't necessarily reflect back on your strength as an applicant, I'm sure! I'm confident you'll be successful and contribute to the scientific world no matter where you go for undergrad :h:
I'm sure you won't get rejected everywhere... But even if you are doesn't necessarily reflect back on your strength as an applicant, I'm sure! I'm confident you'll be successful and contribute to the scientific world no matter where you go for undergrad :h:

Thank you. :h: As will you, I'm sure!
I got an interview for Corpus Christie and Keble!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C. Ashcroft
I got an interview for Corpus Christie and Keble!!

Congratulations. :smile: What were your stats and BMAT scores like?
Original post by Hydeman
Congratulations. :smile: What were your stats and BMAT scores like?

Thank you!!
6.2, 5.2, 3.5A
A*A*A* predictions (biology, chemistry, maths)
Didn't do GCSEs as my family emigrated to New Zealand in 2008 (did NZ equivalent instead) but I've come back for sixth form and uni :smile:
Original post by C. Ashcroft
Thank you!!
6.2, 5.2, 3.5A
A*A*A* predictions (biology, chemistry, maths)
Didn't do GCSEs as my family emigrated to New Zealand in 2008 (did NZ equivalent instead) but I've come back for sixth form and uni :smile:

Ah, nice. A lot of the medics who've got interviews at Oxford thus far also seem to be the ones who got a good BMAT score and don't have GCSEs. xD Well, good luck. :smile:
Just got my rejection :frown:
Original post by emilys106
Just got my rejection :frown:

Join the club. :console:
Original post by Hydeman
Congratulations. :smile: What are your stats like?

Thank you!!!
I got 4.9, 3.6 and 3.5B in the BMAT, at GCSE I had 9A* 4A (from a really bad school where less than 60% get 5 A* - C) and I was predicted A*A*A.

I honestly have no clue why I got an interview offer, I was so sure that I wouldn't get one that I stopped preparing after getting my BMAT score, now I'm terrified!!
Original post by Caitlin.thomas98
Thank you!!!
I got 4.9, 3.6 and 3.5B in the BMAT, at GCSE I had 9A* 4A (from a really bad school where less than 60% get 5 A* - C) and I was predicted A*A*A.

I honestly have no clue why I got an interview offer, I was so sure that I wouldn't get one that I stopped preparing after getting my BMAT score, now I'm terrified!!

Wow. You're a very lucky person. xD I might just email them and ask for feedback because my GCSEs were similar to yours (you have 69 percent A*s; I had 67 percent). I didn't check my BMAT scores but if I had to guess, that's around what I got... And my school is in the lowest ('red') banding from the Welsh Government, meaning that it needs a lot of improvement so I'm just really confused. :s-smilie:

Good luck though -- hope you get in. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Caitlin.thomas98
Thank you!!!

Just checked my BMAT results -- I had 4.9, 4.0 and 4.0A. Feel kinda bad for not getting an interview now because our results are pretty similar. :/

Anyhow, good luck with the interview. :smile: Just thought it was unfair of me to ask for your scores and then not reveal my own.
I've been rejected!
Apparently they don't count my grades as GCSEs because I'm writing a baccalaureate, not A levels, so my BMAT was given a lot of weight. To anyone who's interested, I had 77% A* in year 5, 80% A* last year, and my BMAT scores were 4.9, 4.5, 3A (i.e. 51.67%).

Best of luck to everyone who's got an interview! Make us proud!
Original post by emcowens
I've been rejected!
Apparently they don't count my grades as GCSEs because I'm writing a baccalaureate, not A levels, so my BMAT was given a lot of weight. To anyone who's interested, I had 77% A* in year 5, 80% A* last year, and my BMAT scores were 4.9, 4.5, 3A (i.e. 51.67%).

Best of luck to everyone who's got an interview! Make us proud!

Sorry to hear. :frown: I was rejected too -- I checked my BMAT results by the way and I have the exact same results as you (52 percent). Silly Magdalen admissions tutors; they don't know what they're missing out on. xD
I know I'm a bit late 😛 but...
Just wanted to say I got rejected 😔

BMAT: 4.9 4.7 3.5A
GCSE: 10A* 2A 1B
AS: AAAA
A2 Prediction: A*A*A*A

I sent an email asking for feedback so hopefully I'll get some answers but oh well good luck to everyone with their other unis 👍👍👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending