The Student Room Group

How was Katie Hopkins allowed on a university campus?

Brunel Students walk out on Katie Hopkins;

[video="youtube;HKVTE9Vj5uA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKVTE9Vj5uA&feature=player_embedded&app=desktop[/video]

Scroll to see replies

It was either a case of "let's invite someone controversial so people will actually turn up" or "no one else is available, let's go with the professional troll".
Original post by Raymat
Brunel Students walk out on Katie Hopkins;

[video="youtube;HKVTE9Vj5uA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKVTE9Vj5uA&feature=player_embedded&app=desktop[/video]

Student unions.

Promoting intolerance for decades.
As much as I dislike Katie Hopkins, I think it's good she's allowed. Universities are supposed to be forums for free and independent thought.
Reply 4
Good on them, who knows why anyone would think a bigoted troll like Hopkins would be invited to any debate of any kind, let alone a university debate.
Because unlike The Student Room, Uni's allow freedom of speech.
Reply 6
I LOVE KATIE HOPKINS !
I am not being sarcastic. She has this personality which is snappy and quick and i love that about her.
She does not give a **** what anyone thinks about her.
She is who she is
Presumably because the organisers don't buy the 'universities are supposed to be safe spaces' claptrap. If you don't want an establishment that you're part of to host a speaker you don't like, don't become a part of it.
Original post by eoe
I LOVE KATIE HOPKINS !
I am not being sarcastic. She has this personality which is snappy and quick and i love that about her.
She does not give a **** what anyone thinks about her.
She is who she is

Yes, her description of refugees/migrants drowning in the Mediterranean as 'cockroaches' is truly endearing. Totally.
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, her description of refugees/migrants drowning in the Mediterranean as 'cockroaches' is truly endearing. Totally.

I did not say that I agree with her
Original post by eoe
I did not say that I agree with her

I did not say that you did.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Student unions.

Promoting intolerance for decades.

Because Katie Hopkins is such a marginalised region of society.
Original post by Gwilym101

Tbf, she is definitely on the margins. I know barely anyone that agrees with her. She is overwhelmingly hated. Also, even if she weren't, they're still being intolerant, so your point is irrelevant.

Not quite.

Her opinions resonate with a lot of people.
I'm guessing the uni didn't teach them manners; it's not Katie's fault they can't think of a decent response or refutation.
Original post by KingBradly
Tbf, she is definitely on the margins. I know barely anyone that agrees with her. She is overwhelmingly hated. Also, even if she weren't, they're still being intolerant, so your point is irrelevant.

It's her job to be hated, she lives off of bad press. She's made her bed, now she can lie in it.

A silent protest where people calmly walk out of a hall is hardly promoting intolerance (especially when said protest is aimed at someone who lives off of acting intolerant) or are people not allowed to protest even if it is silent and passive?

Original post by MatureStudent36
Not quite.

Her opinions resonate with a lot of people.

They're reviled by a lot more.
Reply 16
Never heard of her myself but it's a bit sad that they walked out on her rather than engage in the audience discussion.
It's her job to be hated, she lives off of bad press. She's made her bed, now she can lie in it.

A silent protest where people calmly walk out of a hall is hardly promoting intolerance (especially when said protest is aimed at someone who lives off of acting intolerant) or are people not allowed to protest even if it is silent and passive?

They're reviled by a lot more.

It wasn't too long ago that student unions were banning newspapers, political parties and people from certain countries who don't jive with their middle class, left wing phase on life.
She is fantastic. Just what these little snotty nosed safe space children need

It's not a question of whether they're allowed to or not. The point is that it's pretty feeble. By all means, criticize her, but trying to create pressure against having people such as her invited is just childish.

Quick Reply

Latest