The Student Room Group

Purple dip dye

Hey guys!

Okay, so a while ago I tried to dip dye my naturally quite dark brown hair purple, with no bleach. It didn't go too well, ended up being a strange reddish colour, had my hair cut since then so it's gone now!
I'm thinking about getting ombre done at a salon (too scared to do it myself) and then dying that bit purple myself, so I can top it up when I need.
Would this work? Or is it worth getting the purple bit done at the salon too? Any recommend dyes would be really helpful!
ultra_violet1_r600x0-1_q100.jpg
This is the colour I'm looking for, but starting further down my hair!

Thank you! :biggrin:
I would say get it done at a salon... I tried to do this too on my dark brown practically black hair and literally NOTHING happened it was the exact same color after an hour under the dye which sucked! But then I went and bleached my ends and dyed them pink and it was great but they were totally ruined and my hair has had to be cut so many times because it's just so lifeless! Once I had all my nice long hair back again I went and got it done professionally and now it looks great I've had it purple ombre and blue/green ombre and both done at the hairdresser and my hair is not only a great color and lasts a decent amount of time but it's healthy and was done with high quality products which cause the least amount of damage possible to hair!

Just keep in mind once you have bleached your hair it will never be the same again... bleaching severely damages your hair no matter whether your hair is health, thick, thin whatever it will damage it really bad some people can have little to no damage and some people have a lot just depends on how strong your natural hair is!

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you!

So you mean get the whole thing done at a salon, including the purple dye? Didn't even know salons will actually dye it purple! It's gonna be difficult to top up when it fades is what I was thinking :frown:

If I'm only dying the ends, then the bleach will only damage that bit, so I can wait for it to grow out and get it cut, right?
Original post by Awdrgyjo
Thank you!

So you mean get the whole thing done at a salon, including the purple dye? Didn't even know salons will actually dye it purple! It's gonna be difficult to top up when it fades is what I was thinking :frown:

If I'm only dying the ends, then the bleach will only damage that bit, so I can wait for it to grow out and get it cut, right?

I get my hair dyed blue at a hairdresser. I buy the blue dye and bring it with me.
Reply 4
Purple + black: :love:
Original post by Awdrgyjo
Thank you!

Yeah definitely get the whole thing done first time at the salon as they'll be able to bleach the bits you want and make sure the dye evenly covers everything you want it to and it's much easier then having to work around the back of your head yourself especially first time! Most hairdressers carry a range of colors or you can enquire beforehand and if they don't have the color you can purchase yourself and bring with you for them to dye that color! But yeah once it's done you can safely top up the color when it fades yourself or if you want to continue with the salon then you can but it's up to you! Yeah I only bleached the ends of my hair but it still went pretty bad :frown: it just depends how strong your hair is to begin with! but it's worth it!
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I get my hair dyed blue at a hairdresser. I buy the blue dye and bring it with me.

Didn't realise they did that, must sound so stupid haha! But thank you!

Original post by BethK1995
Yeah definitely get the whole thing done first time at the salon as they'll be able to bleach the bits you want and make sure the dye evenly covers everything you want it to and it's much easier then having to work around the back of your head yourself especially first time! Most hairdressers carry a range of colors or you can enquire beforehand and if they don't have the color you can purchase yourself and bring with you for them to dye that color! But yeah once it's done you can safely top up the color when it fades yourself or if you want to continue with the salon then you can but it's up to you! Yeah I only bleached the ends of my hair but it still went pretty bad :frown: it just depends how strong your hair is to begin with! but it's worth it!

Yeah that does make sense! Now gotta find a nice purple colour :tongue: A lot of the ones I've seen say they are a certain colour (which I like) on dark hair, but don't actually turn out like that, so I presume they would on bleached :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest