The Student Room Group

Uni Graduates - Interior design/architecture postgrad courses advice!

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum. I am a recent graduate from the University of Hertfordshire. My course was in model making and special effects and I am extremely keen and determined to train for a career in interior design. I currently work in architecture as a model maker and at the moment I am looking for courses.

I was at Masters courses at the Royal collect of art and I don't really feel it would prepare me at all for industry. All friends just said to a masters, but I dont feel it would benefit me or any MA in the subject at all. I need a grounding in the subject and so I have been to see some of the tutors at various London University's to talk about entering an interior design course at second year. I feel I have some relevant skills and I want the accelerated entry. In terms of funding I could only manage 2 years at undergraduate level , that is another reason for second year entry.
The University's I am interested in applying to are:

Westminster
Kingston
Middlesex

Are there any students or graduates from these courses who can advise me. How much of the first year would I miss out on and could I adjust work a lot of hard work from year 2?

I did speak to one of the tutors from Middlesex but I didn't feel much confidence although I feel determined if I entered into second year.

The other alternative courses I am looking at are
UAL - Graduate diploma Interior Design. I have heard mixed reviews on this particular course and that Chlesea's work is too abstract and isn't grounded in reality. I did visit the course but I am not sure I am convinced. I would cap it of with a masters afterwards.
KLC - Diploma Interior Design. Quite a lot of money for one year but I suppose it is worth it. I hope to visit the school. It has some good reviews but I am not sure how it compares in terms of teaching compared to 3 year BA programme.
Do you think employers are prone to going for people with a degree?
MFA - Manchester School of Art. A 2 year Master of fine arts course but again although it is 2 years, would I get the same benefits as an undergrad course. It's masters level and I have no grounding in the subject of interior design.

So yeah I want to find the best possible way to be an employable interior designer. If there is anyone from industry and students who could advise please please help! Much appreciated.
hi,
i wish i could help

even i need help on the decision i want to make

i got offers but not sure which ones are the right choice for me
Where did you get offers from may I ask?
London South Bank
University of Roehampton
University of Greenwich
University of Westminster
Just waiting for Brunel

the funny thing was I applied on Friday and after the weekend, i got an offer every day. starting to think something went wrong!!!
Never thought I would get offers which would've made my life easier then I would've known getting a full time job is the only way but now that I got offers it's very hard to decline knowing that I had opportunity. I'm so stuck, I don't think i can't handle uni level work so I'm going to lie to my family and tell them i didn't get any offers because if i tell them i did then they'll somehow convince me to go
CAn you please help me with Greenwich tasks i am lost

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending