The Student Room Group

comp sci offers

1) What universities did you apply to?

2)When did you apply?

3)When did you receive your offers?

4)What're your achieved AS and predicted grades?

I'm just unnerved I applied a few days ago and have no offers, yet my friends already have 2-3.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It will take over a month or so. where did you apply? I have 5/5 and applied by the end of Oct, a relatively quiet time, but it gets busy right about now and can take up to 3 months or even more. Bio Psych History AAC predicted ABB, got offers from Nottingham, Newcastle, Northumbria, Lancaster and Swansea.
1) What universities did you apply to? University of York, University of Sheffield, University of Liverpool, University of Edinburgh, Newcastle University

2)When did you apply? 29th October

3)When did you receive your offers? Liverpool: 17th November. York: 18th November. Edinburgh: 25th November.

4)What're your achieved AS and predicted grades? Achieved A-Level grades: A*BB (IT, economics, philosophy) . Predicted grade in AL Maths: A (doing the whole AL in one year otherwise would have had limited university options)
Reply 3
What universities did you apply to? Newcastle, Swansea, Royal Holloway and Bristol

When did you apply? ~9th November
When did you receive your offers? Received an offer from Royal Holloway the day after applying. Received an interview date for Newcastle a week and a half later and I've had an email from Swansea this past Thursday, stating they'll be making me an immediate offer and that I just need to wait for UCAS to update (I've also been invited to an applicants day on the 9th of December). Got rejected from Bristol two days ago.

What're your achieved AS and predicted grades?

D*D* BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (First year)

D*D*D* predicted BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (Second Year)

A* predicted Welsh Baccalaureate

Plus I've done some Electronic Engineering qualifications at level 3 before switching to IT

Also sitting GCSE English and Maths as I'm a slight mature student that didn't take the qualifications back in my school days.

Original post by TrojanH
It will take over a month or so. where did you apply? I have 5/5 and applied by the end of Oct, a relatively quiet time, but it gets busy right about now and can take up to 3 months or even more. Bio Psych History AAC predicted ABB, got offers from Nottingham, Newcastle, Northumbria, Lancaster and Swansea.

Dude what's up, you applied to Swansea also? that's cool. You going to the applicant day on the 9th of December?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cnova
What universities did you apply to? Newcastle, Swansea, Royal Holloway and Bristol

When did you apply? ~9th November
When did you receive your offers? Received an offer from Royal Holloway the day after applying. Received an interview date for Newcastle a week and a half later and I've had an email from Swansea this past Thursday, stating they'll be making me an immediate offer and that I just need to wait for UCAS to update (I've also been invited to an applicants day on the 9th of December). Got rejected from Bristol two days ago.

What're your achieved AS and predicted grades?

D*D* BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (First year)

D*D*D* predicted BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (Second Year)

A* predicted Welsh Baccalaureate

Plus I've done some Electronic Engineering qualifications at level 3 before switching to IT

Also sitting GCSE English and Maths as I'm a slight mature student that didn't take the qualifications back in my school days.

Dude what's up, you applied to Swansea also? that's cool. You going to the applicant day on the 9th of December?

Hey bro, good to see that you've applied to the some of the same ones I have! Where do you plan on firming? Newcastle here, and going to the applicant day this Saturday, are you? pls say Newc, I don't know any TSRians that are going to Newc!

I'm not going to the Swansea one as its 6 hours away. I don't think I could convince my own mother to sit with me on a train for 6 hours for an applicant day. lol. I think they messed up their UCAS system too, been about a week now I was also told I would receive an immediate offer - looks like they're hella laggy.
1) Oxford (MCompSci Computer Science), UCL (MEng Mathematical Computation), Warwick (BSc Data Science), Nottingham (BSc Data Science) and Bristol (MEng Maths and Computer Science)

2) 17th of September

3) Warwick (22nd of October - A*AA or AAA with 2 in STEP/Merit in AEA), Nottingham (29th of October - A*AA), UCL (18th of November - A*AA)

4) Achieved:
Scottish Highers: AAAAC
Scottish Advanced Highers (extenuating circumstances): BCD

Predicted:
AS+A2 (in a year): A*A*A
Subjects: Maths, Further Maths and Economics
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH

MENTALLL!! Nicely done man, suuuuppeer happy to hear things worked out in the end! :biggrin:
Original post by TrojanH

I'm not going to the Swansea one as its 6 hours away. I don't think I could convince my own mother to sit with me on a train for 6 hours for an applicant day. lol. I think they messed up their UCAS system too, been about a week now I was also told I would receive an immediate offer - looks like they're hella laggy.

LOL, pretty much every single uni I've applied to is 7-8 hours away by train. I will be completely ravaged by the expense of visiting the unis I have offers from this year, bye bye savings account.
Reply 8
Original post by TrojanH
Hey bro, good to see that you've applied to the some of the same ones I have! Where do you plan on firming? Newcastle here, and going to the applicant day this Saturday, are you? pls say Newc, I don't know any TSRians that are going to Newc!

I'm not sure yet, it's between Newcastle and Swansea. You going to the applicant day for Newcastle on the 12th of December?

I live in Swansea, so the trek to Newcastle should be interesting, I've booked a cheap hotel for me and my dad to travel up the night before.
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
LOL, pretty much every single uni I've applied to is 7-8 hours away by train. I will be completely ravaged by the expense of visiting the unis I have offers from this year, bye bye savings account.

Oh man - you have disgusting predictions, I hate you! :biggrin:

Hey I couldn't have done it without you, I was pretty close to applying for IT / etc if you didn't give me the advice you gave me! Thanks so much again :smile:

Also 8 hours... ****ing hell. What part of Scotland do you live in? I suppose if you get into Oxbridge or top 10 its worth it isn't it! I actually live on the border to Scotland.

Just get your parents on the dole and get a fat bursary. 60% of the time, it works, every time.
Original post by cnova
I'm not sure yet, it's between Newcastle and Swansea. You going to the applicant day for Newcastle on the 12th of December?

I live in Swansea, so the trek to Newcastle should be interesting, I've booked a cheap hotel for me and my dad to travel up the night before.

Oh man, don't worry about the trek, you'll get to laugh at the geordie locals and it will all have been worth the trip.I applied real early so my applicant day was a month after my offer, its on 28th Nov. I might go again on 12th Dec because its an hour away and a tenner on the train - if I feel like theres something I'm missing.

Swansea have really good CS prospects for a uni I never heard of until I did my research. What's swaying you away from Newcastle, is it soley the location of the Uni?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TrojanH
Oh man, don't worry about the trek, you'll get to laugh at the geordie locals and it will all have been worth the trip.I applied real early so my applicant day was a month after my offer, its on 28th Nov. I might go again on 12th Dec because its an hour away and a tenner on the train - if I feel like theres something I'm missing.

Swansea have really good CS prospects for a uni I never heard of until I did my research. What's swaying you away from Newcastle, is it soley the location of the Uni?

You'll have to fill me in on the details after you've been :biggrin:

Well, since I started poking around for universities last year, Newcastle has been in the top spot. I just love the units, they're absolutely awesome, I mean, Ubiquitous Computing, Security, Web Dev, Game Dev, maths and newer applications such as big data, it's just insane.

There are several issues however. One of the main issues is the distance, it costs around £160 for a return ticket on the train and £100 on a coach.
There's also living expenses, if I go to Swansea I get £2,000 more due to academic excellence scholarships and low income bursaries. Furthermore I have a few friends who are going to and live in Swansea and they have been incessantly telling me to go there.
Lastly, Swansea have just opened up the new Bay campus, which the CS department will be moving to in a year or two as well as receiving millions of pounds to create a new 'Innovation hub' which will have things like a maker lab, rooms for hackathons, cyber security and biometrics.
Original post by cnova

Well, since I started poking around for universities last year, Newcastle has been in the top spot. I just love the units, they're absolutely awesome, I mean, Ubiquitous Computing, Security, Web Dev, Game Dev, maths and newer applications such as big data, it's just insane.

There are several issues however. One of the main issues is the distance, it costs around £160 for a return ticket on the train and £100 on a coach.
There's also living expenses, if I go to Swansea I get £2,000 more due to academic excellence scholarships and low income bursaries. Furthermore I have a few friends who are going to and live in Swansea and they have been incessantly telling me to go there.
Lastly, Swansea have just opened up the new Bay campus, which the CS department will be moving to in a year or two as well as receiving millions of pounds to create a new 'Innovation hub' which will have things like a maker lab, rooms for hackathons, cyber security and biometrics.

I'll let you know all about it when I'm there. I've got an interview to do too, so I hope I do well :P

near £200 just to go wow. that's a considerable price to pay. Also, look at Newcastle's bursary scheme, their Access and Opportunity scholarship are an extra 2.5k a year in guaranteed bursary if you make under 25K. They will also pay for your transport to the applicant day. I think if you ask they will let you know about travel bursaries, as some unis actually pay for you to go home if you study there - not sure about NCL though.

For me its not only the course, but the city, a lot of really cool companies to work for at Newcastle, you have things like Sage and Ubisoft right next to the uni itself. The uni's also getting a big new CS building and is renovating all of its student accomodation. I also just want to go purely out of the fact that its a RG uni. I know it sounds silly but to me, RG > non-RG.

If I were you I wouldn't consider any decisions based on what your friends think, sure it might sound great, but overall if the travel time/cost isn't worth the prestige/ranking or whatever Newcastle has over (if it does) Swansea then I would stay at home.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Oh man - you have disgusting predictions, I hate you! :biggrin:

Hey I couldn't have done it without you, I was pretty close to applying for IT / etc if you didn't give me the advice you gave me! Thanks so much again :smile:

Also 8 hours... ****ing hell. What part of Scotland do you live in? I suppose if you get into Oxbridge or top 10 its worth it isn't it! I actually live on the border to Scotland.

Just get your parents on the dole and get a fat bursary. 60% of the time, it works, every time.

You say 'disgusting', I say they're a death wish! :redface: Nah, but I'm really going balls to the wall this year because I can't afford to let anything come in my way this time round. Besides, i'm sure you'll beat your predictions :wink:

You're so welcome man, I'm very glad that I could help out with your choices, and I'm equally as glad that you didn't go for IT haha :tongue:

I live in Aberdeen, which is on the east coast, pretty far away from any part of England - with maybe the exception of Newcastle haha.

LOOL, my mom's working on her PhD right now so I get the full bursary anyway. :tongue:
Original post by cnova

Just a couple of words of advice on this journey. You can purchase a two together railcard from Swansea station costs £30. It gives you and your dad 30% off your fares and if you go anywhere else together you get 30 % each for a year.
Have you looked into flying Easy jet from Bristol to Newcastle. It might save you money and is quicker. If you do decide to go to Newcastle or away to uni but a 16-26 railcard costs £30 and saves you 30% on fares. Finally it might also be worth looking into travelling via Manchester on arriva wales trains. Usually works out considerably cheaper than via Bristol but slightly longer
Reply 15
yeeees i got my offer from warwick within just 2 days :-)
i feel soooo proud...i've heard they usually take months plus this is a busy time for admissions staff.... yeeaahh so uneexpected. so chuffed :-)
Original post by cnova

Hey dude,

Just visited Newcastle CompSci and had my interview. It was awesome, loved it! My interviewer (and all the other lecturers) were really nice people. These guys were so genuine in their friendliness and things, there's no top down authority business going on here - the lecturers are a joy to be with and some of them are fair dorky too! Definitely not intimidating at all hahaha :smile:

Right after my interview the guy told
Me he really liked what I had to say, told me about one of the computing societies leader leaving and that I should really ought to apply! He went on to tell me I've been unofficially accepted and that I will receive my UCAS information soon too :biggrin: I was definitely happy about it haha, it's clear they're not looking just for programmers but for people who've done a bit extra curricular too.

Anyways the students were pretty nice! Pretty much none of the guys looked like they ever saw a barbell hahaha, don't really know what I expected tho.

The new computing building looks absolute amazing! Opening my second year (2017) but it's very big and lots of... Toys! I've sorta always wanted to go to uni purely for the iconic, movie-esque lecture halls and now I'm satisfied after seeing the new buildings plans and stuff. The current ones good but I only saw one floor.

Anyways Ncl just has a good feel to it. I advise just going with your gut, you'll regret it if you solely take on the advice to others, but for me it's definitely the right match! The industrial placement students previously had been to work in Silicon Valley, Google, Microsoft, IBM, ARM, just everywhere - there's a 92% chance you'll get offered a job after graduation too.

The only bad is that a lot of the NCl is being revamped. New halls, new buildings, improved halls etc so that made some of the buildings a no go zone which was a shame.

One of the guys had offers from Manc, Exeter, KCL, Sheffield and he liked Ncl the most. I hope you share these feelings once you visit, really is awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
Hey dude,

Just visited Newcastle CompSci and had my interview. It was awesome, loved it! My interviewer (and all the other lecturers) were really nice people. These guys were so genuine in their friendliness and things, there's no top down authority business going on here - the lecturers are a joy to be with and some of them are fair dorky too! Definitely not intimidating at all hahaha :smile:

Right after my interview the guy told
Me he really liked what I had to say, told me about one of the computing societies leader leaving and that I should really ought to apply! He went on to tell me I've been unofficially accepted and that I will receive my UCAS information soon too :biggrin: I was definitely happy about it haha, it's clear they're not looking just for programmers but for people who've done a bit extra curricular too.

Anyways the students were pretty nice! Pretty much none of the guys looked like they ever saw a barbell hahaha, don't really know what I expected tho.

The new computing building looks absolute amazing! Opening my second year (2017) but it's very big and lots of... Toys! I've sorta always wanted to go to uni purely for the iconic, movie-esque lecture halls and now I'm satisfied after seeing the new buildings plans and stuff. The current ones good but I only saw one floor.

Anyways Ncl just has a good feel to it. I advise just going with your gut, you'll regret it if you solely take on the advice to others, but for me it's definitely the right match! The industrial placement students previously had been to work in Silicon Valley, Google, Microsoft, IBM, ARM, just everywhere - there's a 92% chance you'll get offered a job after graduation too.

The only bad is that a lot of the NCl is being revamped. New halls, new buildings, improved halls etc so that made some of the buildings a no go zone which was a shame.

One of the guys had offers from Manc, Exeter, KCL, Sheffield and he liked Ncl the most. I hope you share these feelings once you visit, really is awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't say there's a 92% chance.. I'd say 92% of the previous cohort (i.e. people with different abilities to the cohort you'll be in) managed to find jobs.

Good write up though, was worth the read haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, sorry! A 92% graduate job offer/place after internship of the students of the previous year, and a 100% employment rate for those on the BSc with Industry, last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by TrojanH
Hey dude,

I hope you share these feelings once you visit, really is awesome!

That sounds awesome, congratulations man. I can't wait for mine now. I'll share the results on here, should be awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest