The Student Room Group

Social anxiety in final year, cant get support

Hi

In my final year I decided to use the counelling service at uni for my issues

i only have 1 left since there is very limited supply and high demand

in my penultimate apointment she gave me a leaflet for a free local counselling service (offering CBT). I heard this is good for social anxiety

i called them , and asnwered loads of question

it turns out there is a 6 month waiting list

i feel really scared because after 1 more session i will have noting and i am struggling so so so much with this social anxiety

its made me feel very down
Reply 1
Have you been to see your GP? They may be able to support you in the meantime and you may be offered medication if your anxiety is quite severe
Hey anon, I'm in my final year, suffering from anxiety and also on a CBT waiting list, so I sympathise with you completely.

Have you applied for DSA? It may take a while to sort out, but I applied in around January and was allocated a mentor in about March, with whom I've been having regular meetings since. See if there's anyone you can contact at your uni about this and you can ask them what they can give you. You'll still have to wait, but it won't be 6 months!

On that subject, my mentor linked me to a website called MoodJuice which has loads of self-help leaflets and strategies. Here's the one for social anxiety: http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/shynesssocialphobia.asp
Reply 3
Original post by goldfishgirl
Hey anon, I'm in my final year, suffering from anxiety and also on a CBT waiting list, so I sympathise with you completely.

Have you applied for DSA? It may take a while to sort out, but I applied in around January and was allocated a mentor in about March, with whom I've been having regular meetings since. See if there's anyone you can contact at your uni about this and you can ask them what they can give you. You'll still have to wait, but it won't be 6 months!

On that subject, my mentor linked me to a website called MoodJuice which has loads of self-help leaflets and strategies. Here's the one for social anxiety: http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/shynesssocialphobia.asp

Original post by Jenx301
Have you been to see your GP? They may be able to support you in the meantime and you may be offered medication if your anxiety is quite severe

thanks

i think what i really need is a mentor, couselllor, therapist... anybody with some training in mental health to support me

shall i bring up my concerns in my final session?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
thanks

i think what i really need is a mentor, couselllor, therapist... anybody with some training in mental health to support me

shall i bring up my concerns in my final session?

Hey,

I think that would be a good idea - If you can't do that then speak to your GP who can refer you onwards. You could also google free counselling in [your area] as there is some charities who provide this service that you can refer yourself to. I saw that someone else suggested applying for DSA - that might be a good idea too as I get a mental health support worker provided through uni alongside other stuff so that might help you too.

Jen x
Reply 5
Original post by Jenx301
Hey,

I think that would be a good idea - If you can't do that then speak to your GP who can refer you onwards. You could also google free counselling in [your area] as there is some charities who provide this service that you can refer yourself to. I saw that someone else suggested applying for DSA - that might be a good idea too as I get a mental health support worker provided through uni alongside other stuff so that might help you too.

Jen x

Thanks, I will see if ther any options she can suggest

Last resort I will see a doctor

Thanks
I sympathise for you about the waiting time, If you send a letter to a mental health team and refer to the communication with your GP referal then it might come faster.. if you are struggling ask for help with it, a person involved in the GP service might have more knowledge,
Hi

Ask about further support from the uni, they should be able to do this
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest