The Student Room Group

ROCD - Anyone else a sufferer? Have any tips?

So I found out recently I suffer from something called ROCD (actually I suffer from something called "pure-o ocd" and this is a bit of a side effect) which basically means I obsess over the idea that I don't love my partner. (To those of you who think that this is a sign that I don't actually love him, you may be right, though of course I'm hoping you're not, but the idea is that I obsess over this and it has made me very depressed - something that certainly isn't normal).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else on here suffers like this and if they have any advice? I'd love to know if anyone has cured themselves of it. All I want to feel is happy in my relationship, again.
That sounds pretty unusual in the sense that it would actually classify as a disorder. I know a lot of people have these thoughts but having them so badly that it classifies as a disorder must be pretty difficult to tolerate.

Have you actually been diagnosed with this by a professional?
Original post by Anonymous
So I found out recently I suffer from something called ROCD (actually I suffer from something called "pure-o ocd" and this is a bit of a side effect) which basically means I obsess over the idea that I don't love my partner. (To those of you who think that this is a sign that I don't actually love him, you may be right, though of course I'm hoping you're not, but the idea is that I obsess over this and it has made me very depressed - something that certainly isn't normal).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else on here suffers like this and if they have any advice? I'd love to know if anyone has cured themselves of it. All I want to feel is happy in my relationship, again.

Hey I suffer from pure-OCD too, you are not alone! Everybody knows about that person who is a neat freak or 'a bit OCD', but telling someone you obsess over being a good person or not (as that is what pure-OCD centres around) doesn't make sense to most. I don't have ROCD at the moment (relationship-OCD to anybody who doesn't know), but did suffer from it when I had a boyfriend.

My number one advice is getting yourself to the doctors. I've received CBT for my OCD before and even though it was painful, it really helped Get yourself an appointment booked as soon as possible. In the meantime, speak to OCD action on 0845 390 6232 whenever you feel particularly bad. They will offer you support until you can see a doctor or further advise you. While you are waiting for an appointment, follow the self-help tools on the NHS website here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/self-help.aspx as it can only do good.

Aside from this, some personal advice. I don't know how understanding your boyfriend is of your condition but I would try to keep the negative thoughts you're having about him and the relationship to yourself. It is easy to unload your feelings onto your partner as you are so close and after all, these thoughts and feelings are about the two of you. However, some ROCD thoughts can upset or confuse partners who don't fully understand the condition. Words can't be taken back, even if it's just the OCD talking! I hope this helps and if you have any more questions I'd be happy to talk them through with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending