The Student Room Group

Guys, when a female stranger smiles at you...

Would you then approach her to start a conversation? I'm not talking about in a club I mean like in cafe, a store, the library etc.

And if you were attracted to her, would you feel offended?

How would smiling at random at random men go in London? It's not exactly the friendliest city :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

You're getting pick-pocketed while you think up theories as to why she's smiling.....
The only ones who smile at random people in London are psychos, drug dealers and, worst of all, chuggers.

Would not recommend trying it
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Lol no... I don't think I would ever get offended if anyone ever smiled at me for whatever reason. Smiles don't offend people!

How would smiling at random at random men go in London? It's not exactly the friendliest city :tongue:

Depends if you're a guy or girl really, and more importantly, what kind of mood I was personally in.
Reply 4
I'd smile back, give a little nod. Maybe just say a friendly 'Hi.'

I wouldn't necessarily go in for starting a conversation following that, though. Most of the time I wouldn't, I have to admit - generally one or the other out of us two is in a bit of a hurry. Failing that, I don't want to bother them without reason but if they looked like they needed a hand with something, or for that matter I really needed a hand with something - or if we needed to kill time, of course I'd go ask them!

If you meant in a romantic sense then... no, I'm not very good at clocking signals in general, never mind from girls I don't know. Some of my mates - female and male alike - would argue that's a downfall of mine, for me it just seems madcap to attempt form this crazy but somehow advised idea in my head of 'She just acted like a decent human being towards me, conclusion - she wants the D'. It can assuredly only lead to trouble, haha! I'm not that kind of dude, not very street-wise I suppose.

Extrapolating; but, if this is your way of trying to get attention from a crush or something along those lines then feel free to give it a shot a couple times, but if they're anything like as much of a numbskull as me they'd probably appreciate something refreshingly more direct when all's said and done! I think most, er, decent blokes will just assume you're being friendly, either that or that you're known to them.
Woooaaah, WTF, hold up... London? You want to smile at a stranger, in London??? I imagine you'dbe written off as a psycho and be avoided like the plague.
Would you then approach her to start a conversation? I'm not talking about in a club I mean like in cafe, a store, the library etc.

No, no it would not make me start a conversation with her. Do you know what would though? Her greeting me and asking me how I was doing.
Reply 7
Original post by tengentoppa
The only ones who smile at random people in London are psychos, drug dealers and, worst of all, chuggers.

Would not recommend trying it

But I'm petite and innocent looking :h:
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
Woooaaah, WTF, hold up... London? You want to smile at a stranger, in London??? I imagine you'dbe written off as a psycho and be avoided like the plague.

But I look pretty harmless :cute: Yes in London I want to meet new people outside of uni and bars/clubs.
Reply 9
Original post by TorpidPhil
No, no it would not make me start a conversation with her. Do you know what would though? Her greeting me and asking me how I was doing.

What if you found her attractive? Would you still just walk away? I suppose I could initiate the conversation myself :smile:
Original post by 0range
Lol no... I don't think I would ever get offended if anyone ever smiled at me for whatever reason. Smiles don't offend people!

Depends if you're a guy or girl really, and more importantly, what kind of mood I was personally in.

I'm female. Would you be offended if you thought she was really ugly? Or not your type?
Why would you be offended by someone attractive smiling at you?
What if you found her attractive? Would you still just walk away? I suppose I could initiate the conversation myself :smile:

I'd smile back and hold eye contact for a short while flirtatiously but that's about it. Unfortunately I do not have the self motivation to drag myself up to people and converse with them off of such a simple basis. However is she were to show the commitment she would be specifically engaging me in random conversation I would be far more responsive and energised.
Original post by SmellyProtein
You're getting pick-pocketed while you think up theories as to why she's smiling.....

Aww no I hope not haha :tongue:
Original post by NathanW18
Why would you be offended by someone attractive smiling at you?

I actually meant to put if you did not find her attractive in my OP but I can't go back and edit it. It's a risk because when I smile at a guy I don't know if he thinks I'm pretty, or if he thinks I'm the ugliest girl he's ever seen.
I'd just smile back, it's nice to have a friendly smile from time to time, especially if you're in a place where everyone always keeps to themselves (London). :tongue:

I probably wouldn't approach them because 1) I'll probably have something to do 2) she could be busy and I don't want to disturb her 3) I'm terrible at telling if someone is interested in me in the first place
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shotte
I'd smile back, give a little nod. Maybe just say a friendly 'Hi.'

I wouldn't necessarily go in for starting a conversation following that, though. Most of the time I wouldn't, I have to admit - generally one or the other out of us two is in a bit of a hurry. Failing that, I don't want to bother them without reason but if they looked like they needed a hand with something, or for that matter I really needed a hand with something - or if we needed to kill time, of course I'd go ask them!

If you meant in a romantic sense then... no, I'm not very good at clocking signals in general, never mind from girls I don't know. Some of my mates - female and male alike - would argue that's a downfall of mine, for me it just seems madcap to attempt form this crazy but somehow advised idea in my head of 'She just acted like a decent human being towards me, conclusion - she wants the D'. It can assuredly only lead to trouble, haha! I'm not that kind of dude, not very street-wise I suppose.

Extrapolating; but, if this is your way of trying to get attention from a crush or something along those lines then feel free to give it a shot a couple times, but if they're anything like as much of a numbskull as me they'd probably appreciate something refreshingly more direct when all's said and done! I think most, er, decent blokes will just assume you're being friendly, either that or that you're known to them.

No I'm not trying to get the attention of my crush. I'm just wanting to meet people outside of the traditional bar/club/online thing. Maybe I do need to be more direct but if as others have indicated people will think I'm a psycho for so much as smiling at them in London then starting a convo may freak them out even more! I thought maybe if I smile at like 100 guys at least one of them will say 'hi' :smile: Yes I do worry about the person being in a hurry or not wanting to be disturbed.
Original post by Lord Samosa
I'd just smile back, it's nice to have a friendly smile from time to time, especially if you're in a place where everyone always keeps to themselves (London)

Yeah true London is such a cold and lonely place sometimes. Surrounded by millions of people and yet no connection or community at all.
I actually meant to put if you did not find her attractive in my OP but I can't go back and edit it. It's a risk because when I smile at a guy I don't know if he thinks I'm pretty, or if he thinks I'm the ugliest girl he's ever seen.

Oh, okay. I wouldn't be offended. I don't think many people would be tbh.
Original post by NathanW18
Oh, okay. I wouldn't be offended. I don't think many people would be tbh.

I think that's my main fear, that someone will recoil with disgust or go and laugh about it with their mates after (not that I will know).

Quick Reply

Latest