The Student Room Group

EPQ AS Count for dentistry??

does an EPQ count as an AS subject if i want to do dentistry and am only doing 3 subjects?
I don't think it will count as an AS because it's a slightly different type of qualification, but I'm pretty sure it's worth the same amount of UCAS points as an AS. Universities do care about your AS subjects as they give a good indication of how you're doing and whether your predicted grades are about right, but ultimately the A2 subjects matter more. When you say you're only doing three subjects, do you mean that you're in year 12 and doing three AS levels and an EPQ, or do you mean you're doing three A2 subjects? I think you will find that the majority of people seem to have four (or five) AS subjects, three (or four) at A2 and sometimes an EPQ as well, but this does differ. Remember that they consider other factors too so an EPQ is a really good idea to do because it shows you have an active interest and are doing research outside of your a level syllabus.

Hope this helps, good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply😊The reason I asked this is because I am doing Chem Bio Maths and German but the teachers are telling me to drop one of them as it is 'too much', but in Dentistry, most good uni's require around 3A's in A level and 1B in As-level...
Original post by shock198
Thanks for your reply😊The reason I asked this is because I am doing Chem Bio Maths and German but the teachers are telling me to drop one of them as it is 'too much', but in Dentistry, most good uni's require around 3A's in A level and 1B in As-level...

Honestly it's probably best to stick with 4, even if you struggle. It keeps your options open and means that next year, you will have a choice of what you carry on with. If you drop down to 3 now and fail one of them, you're going to have to carry on with it anyway or you'll end up with only 2 a levels. So yeah I'd stick with the 4 subjects, and consider droppping EPQ if you find yourself short of time because that matters the least. Dentistry is really competitive and you will be at a disadvantage if you only do 3 as levels.

Quick Reply

Latest