The Student Room Group

Jimmy Carr dwarf joke on BBC1 show faces investigation

Jimmy Carr dwarf joke on BBC1 show faces investigation

Ofcom has launched an investigation into the comedian’s comments, made on the show during a promotion of his Greatest Hits tour, in a gag to viewers about how he had once come up with a two-word joke.
“I tried to write the shortest joke possible,” he said. “So, I wrote a two-word joke which was: ‘Dwarf shortage’. It’s just so I could pack more jokes into the show.”
Fellow guest Rod Stewart attempted to keep a straight face while The One Show host Alex Jones grimaced.
Carr added: “If you’re a dwarf and you’re offended by that, grow up.”

Did he go too far?
If so where do you draw the line?
Just two complaints leads to an inquiry. They have certainly lowered the bar there.
I think it may be the fact that it was used on the one show at 7pm and not 8 out of 10 at 11 pm.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I though it was pretty funny, especially the 2nd part
It's not even offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is just vicarious offence taking by people who want to seem understanding, when in fact they are ignorant beyond belief.

Did you see Warwick Davis' interview with Piers Morgan? His sense of humour on the subject of dwarfism is likely shared by many of his fellow little people.
He's not a PC sort of guy so I don't know why people are surprised.
I think he went too far on the second part... plus people with height problems are a really small minority with a lot of discrimination attached.. I think that people joking about it is really insensitive and damaging..
Plus I really hate Jimmy Carr and his stupid fake laugh!!!!
Reply 6
Comedy is only comedy if it offends someone.
That's not even offensive
Reply 8
I dont fijd that offensive in the slightest :s-smilie:

Society is becoming ridiculously PC
Small-minded people.
Yeah, this is just pathetic. Some miserable people will complain about anything.

Though it was only 2 complaints, and my understanding is that they have to be investigated. I'll be amazed if the investigation actually results in anything.
Reply 11
Original post by Alexion
Comedy is only comedy if it offends someone.

It's so true, at least for me, I don't understand because it's clearly beneficial for people to laugh than to be offended, I laugh at the most twisted things precisely because they are twisted. You can't be funny and not an *******.
Reply 12
Absolutely disgraceful, Jimmy Carr should be sent to live in that dwarf village in China as punishment...
Reply 13
Original post by whorace
Looks like he drew a short straw.
There's a shortage of humour these days.
People have a short temper.

If someone can take offense then they will......grow up.
Reply 15
If the line was taller he wouldn't have overstepped it.
Original post by Hevachan
people with height problems are a really small minority

I see what you did there.
Reply 17
I think it is offensive personally. Why is it when someone doesn't find a joke funny they are instantly blame... Why am I suddenly the "small minded" one who needs to "grow up"

Someone mentioned it's not comedy if it doesn't offend someone. No, comedy is about preference.
Original post by Jess2695
I think it is offensive personally. Why is it when someone doesn't find a joke funny they are instantly blame... Why am I suddenly the "small minded" one who needs to "grow up"

Someone mentioned it's not comedy if it doesn't offend someone. No, comedy is about preference.

The point is: so what if you're offended? What does that actually mean?
Well, Jimmy Carr has never been funny, but this investigation is taking it too far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending