The Student Room Group

My ex text me.

Hey,

My ex girlfriend broke up with me at the start of this month. It wasn't a particularly nice break up as I was not expecting it and she gave a pretty poor excuse considering we had been together for nearly three years.
She insisted we broke all lines of communication and consequently she blocked my number and on all social media accounts. I've had a really hard time over the whole situation.

Anyway, it was my Birthday yesterday and she text me!! I really wasn't expecting to hear from her. What annoyed me is that she text me as if everything was fine and that nothing had happened. She said something along the lines of "Happy Birthday, have a great day, can't believe you're 21 X". I just don't understand why she'd text me after the kind of breakup we had. There's probably no meaning behind it and in just overthinking but does anyone else find this strange given the circumstances?
I don't find it strange. My ex and I broke up two weeks before his birthday. We cut contact and I still texted him to say happy birthday because it was a nice thing to do. My ex replied back and told me about his birthday plans and asked how I was. It didn't lead anywhere from there. Believe it or not many people do the same.
Happy birthday by the way!
It was wrong of her.

From the sounds of it, since she initiated the break-up, this is hurting you more that it's hurting her. She needs to respect your feelings and not send messages that you're only going to over-analyse. If someone makes a clean break like that - completely cutting you out - then they have no right to pick up the communication when it suits them. It shows a total disregard for your feelings. If it was me I would have text her back asking her what her game was and telling her not to contact me again. To be honest, I would have changed my phone number. Don't let someone play around with your emotions like that - especially not on your Birthday. I'd block her number or change yours. It's up to you whether or not you challenge her about it - that's a personal decision, I just know that I wouldn't stand for that.
Original post by Anonymous
It was wrong of her.

From the sounds of it, since she initiated the break-up, this is hurting you more that it's hurting her. She needs to respect your feelings and not send messages that you're only going to over-analyse. If someone makes a clean break like that - completely cutting you out - then they have no right to pick up the communication when it suits them. It shows a total disregard for your feelings. If it was me I would have text her back asking her what her game was and telling her not to contact me again. To be honest, I would have changed my phone number. Don't let someone play around with your emotions like that - especially not on your Birthday. I'd block her number or change yours. It's up to you whether or not you challenge her about it - that's a personal decision, I just know that I wouldn't stand for that.

Jheeze it's just a happy birthday message. He can either respond with a simple thank you or not reply. Its not like she's sending hate mail. She remembered his birthday and wanted to wish him well.

Op do not reply back asking what her game is, if she wants to regain contact with you see how she responds to your message. If she's happy to continue the conversation and you aren't, let her know you appreciate her birthday message but you'd prefer if she doesn't contact you anymore. If she makes no effort to continue messaging you thereafter then it's obvious she was just being nice, no harm in that.
hi

firstly i am sorry to hear about your break up

personally as a girl i believe if she didn't have any feelings what so ever she would not have even of thought about your birthday. if she didn't care she wouldn't have text you, even as a friend if she didn't care she wouldn't have taken the time to text you.

maybe you should talk to her and become friends i reckon thats what she wants
So many threads about exes on tsr nowadays.
Reply 7
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So many threads about exes on tsr nowadays.

they all live in Texas like George Strait
It means nothing.. next year you won't even get a birthday message :smile: and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending