The Student Room Group

Feeling like i'm on the wrong course and thinking of taking a year out

Hello :smile:
I'm 21 and currently 2 months into the 2nd year of BA Graphic Design at Central Saint Martins in London, but i'm really feeling like i'm on the wrong course.

I worked so hard to get to this point. Through A Levels and a foundation, even through 1st year. It was all a lot of work and started to become a struggle in 1st year especially. I felt out of my depth having come from A Levels and foundation where i was confident in my work, the degree was like being thrown in the deep end with some of the most talented people i've ever worked with. I really started to doubt my ability, felt like i'd wasted a lot of time, and obviously felt sad that what i thought would be a dream of living in london and studying at CSM, is actually turning out to be a very negative experience. As a result i've been in CBT therapy for a month to deal with anxiety and depression which has gone through the roof after all of this.

Something i've always been interested in is Midwifery. I know its completely different, but it feels like a case of i'm good at being creative but i'm not very passionate about it. I'd plan on attending some midwifery open days to get a bit more insight but i'm worried this would make me even more confused.

Although it's making me feel rubbish being there, I know what an amazing opportunity it is to graduate with a degree from CSM, and I feel like I would regret dropping out. If I kept on with the course, I could probably go into teaching or something unrelated to graphic design directly, but I just can't see where my life is going if I stay on it

I've got an opportunity to apply for a year out at the end of my second year, where I could go abroad for a while. I'm wondering whether this would be worthwhile to step away from everything and have a fresh start, spending time on myself and getting some experiences. I do worry it would make it harder to come back and finish the degree, but also it seems like an opportunity that I probably wouldn't get later in life where I've got more commitments.

So aside from the rambling thoughts I suppose the point of this post is to see if anyone had any similar experiences with feeling like they were on the wrong course and how they dealt with it, and if anyone has taken a year out of their degree to travel or work for a while
(edited 8 years ago)
In Scotland it's incredibly common to take a year abroad and people, students and employers, can see it holds value.
I suggest you take a year abroad and see what your situation is when you get back

Quick Reply

Latest