The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry B 2015 C1 C2 C3-6 Mark questions

Hey i guys I'm in year 11 and i just did the mock test for the OCR Gateway Chemistry B for June 2015 and decided that i would share the three 6 mark questions that came up ( i couldnt clearly remember the others).

For C1 it was something like: Plastic bottles for fizzy drinks are made from the polymer Polyethylene terephthalate- (C10 H8). One of the reasons is because it has a low melting point. Using your knowledge about Polymers, list and explain 2 other reasons (properties) why Polyethylene terephtalate is used to make plastic bottles for fizzy drinks.

For C2: Ammonium Phosphate is used by farmers as fertilisers. Explain the method/procedure that you use to make pure, dry Ammonium Phosphate crystals, including the Acid and Alkali that are used.

For C3: Basically, you are given a graph that compares the time a reaction between sulfuric acid and magnesium ribbon takes on the y axis and the concentration of sulfuric acid on the x axis. As the concentration of acid increases, the rate of reaction also increases. Is this statement true? Use your knowledge about forces of attraction and rates of reactions to explain.

I hope this kinda helps people out with their revision for mocks, or their real exams. They're only 6 mark questions, but they're important.
(edited 8 years ago)
You are an actual life saver! I have my Year 11 mock exams next week, with chemistry C1-3 on the Monday, and I believe this is the paper that we're doing! Just out of interest, do you remember any of the topics in the June 2015 Biology paper (B1-3)? If not, that's fine- you've already helped me out with this alone!
Original post by zak_28
hi ,i have my chemistry C1-3 on Tuesday and i wondering after you have done the exam could u pls post what topics came up,i would be really grateful

You might be able to cheat in your mocks but you will not be able to cheat in June next year. Learn everything if you have any sense.

I've had students in the past who have got A grades in mocks and I know with certainty that they have cheated through looking through the posts on this website. So mum and dad think it's all going well and then they bomb in summer.
Original post by itzohmygosh
Hey i guys I'm in year 11 and i just did the mock test for the OCR Gateway Chemistry B for June 2015 and decided that i would share the three 6 mark questions that came up ( i couldnt clearly remember the others).

For C1 it was something like: Plastic bottles for fizzy drinks are made from the polymer Polyethylene terephthalate- (C10 H8). One of the reasons is because it has a low melting point. Using your knowledge about Polymers, list and explain 2 other reasons (properties) why Polyethylene terephtalate is used to make plastic bottles for fizzy drinks.

For C2: Ammonium Phosphate is used by farmers as fertilisers. Explain the method/procedure that you use to make pure, dry Ammonium Phosphate crystals, including the Acid and Alkali that are used.

For C3: Basically, you are given a graph that compares the time a reaction between sulfuric acid and magnesium ribbon takes on the y axis and the concentration of sulfuric acid on the x axis. As the concentration of acid increases, the rate of reaction also increases. Is this statement true? Use your knowledge about forces of attraction and rates of reactions to explain.

I hope this kinda helps people out with their revision for mocks, or whatever. They're only 6 mark questions, but they're important.

Thanks for posting this so that others will be able to cheat in their mocks and gain an unrealistic impression of their ability in the subject. Very helpful.
Original post by TeachChemistry
Thanks for posting this so that others will be able to cheat in their mocks and gain an unrealistic impression of their ability in the subject. Very helpful.

My intentions were not so that people will be able to cheat, this post is supposed to serve the same purpose as a past paper, and students should use it as a resource for revising not only for their mocks but also their real exams.
Reply 5

As you might have noticed if you read the posts by others rather than complaining, people are asking what topics come up so they're able to revise. Not one person has asked for the questions. We only ask so we know what to revise on first. It's not like we're able to learn every single thing there is to know in one week. If we know what to cover first then it's a hell of a lot easier to get everything out of the way without completely failing in our mocks.
Original post by Mertie24
As you might have noticed if you read the posts by others rather than complaining, people are asking what topics come up so they're able to revise. Not one person has asked for the questions. We only ask so we know what to revise on first. It's not like we're able to learn every single thing there is to know in one week. If we know what to cover first then it's a hell of a lot easier to get everything out of the way without completely failing in our mocks.

So what you are saying is you would completely fail your mocks if it were not for the fact that someone tells you what topics to put your effort into. In case you can not see it, that is called cheating. You are gaining an unfair advantage.

If you do not think this is cheating then surely you teacher will tell you what topics to revise so that you get the questions correct. Why not try that?

However, since you are in denial that this is cheating there is no more to be said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
So what you are saying is you would completely fail your mocks if it were not for the fact that someone tells you what topics to put your effort into. In case you can not see it, that is called cheating. You are gaining an unfair advantage.

If you do not think this is cheating then surely you teacher will tell you what topics to revise so that you get the questions correct. Why not try that?

However, since you are in denial that this is cheating there is no more to be said.

Four months is a lot more time than two weeks. I have no doubt I will be able to cover everything twice before the exams, but if you give me a weeks notice before our mocks, I'd appreciate topics to start off my revision. C1, C2, C3 that's a lot of information. Alongside everything else we have to know, knowing where to start isn't cheating. I'd rather know where to start and revise certain topics thoroughly and not just rush through all of c1-3 so I'm able to remember everything by the time it comes to my exams.
Hi im gay
Reply 9
r u sure this is the mock
(edited 8 years ago)
i have the mock tmrw
@itzohmygosh have u done the physics and biology
can u give me an idea on whats on that too
Reply 12
Original post by PaulBinsang
Hi im gay

Ew I don't care or need to know that.
Original post by chantc38