The Student Room Group

Is it homophobic to not watch homosexual activity on my tv

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eoe
No because he is straight. Simple
Stop shouting homophobia everywhere.
Its just annoying
We live in a free country and everyone is entltiled to their opinion

So someone doesn't watch something because there is a black person would the explanation because they are white be justifiable?
Reply 81
Original post by Lady Comstock
Given people watch 99% of television without 'turning away', I would say it is a pretty dramatic response.

Yes, because 99% of your average television doesn't display acts of homosexual intimacy. How do you not understand this?

So your logic is that it's normal to turn away and have an adverse reaction to things we are not familiar with?

Unfamiliarity can cause discomfort, which can lead to reacting adversely. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it can be. Please avoid generalising context-specific statements, thanks.
Original post by Kiytt
Unfamiliarity can cause discomfort, which can lead to reacting adversely. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it can be. Please avoid generalising context-specific statements, thanks.

Then one has to question this inconsistently-appied discomfort to things that are unfamiliar, and why for some people gay intimacy is included within the category of discomfort-inducing things, yet other unfamiliar things are not.
Then one has to question this inconsistently-appied discomfort to things that are unfamiliar, and why for some people gay intimacy is included within the category of discomfort-inducing things, yet other unfamiliar things are not.

But why should you be vilified for it if you respect other people's right to engage in the behaviour and don't treat gay men any differently apart from not wanting to watch them have sex?

Forcing me to like gay sex is like forcing me to like any other type of sex which I don't enjoy.
Original post by mercuryman
No. I think some of the people of this thread are ridiculous and too judgemental.

You get that a lot with the liberal-brigade.

Anything that concerns gay people is automatically considered homophobic on here. I hate how they throw the word around all the time.
Original post by donnerkebab
But why should you be vilified for it if you respect other people's right to engage in the behaviour and don't treat gay men any differently apart from not wanting to watch them have sex?

Forcing me to like gay sex is like forcing me to like any other type of sex which I don't enjoy.

You shouldn't be vilified for such a trivial thing, but I would say it's an infantile and irrational response given gay people watch straight make-out scenes all the time without such a response.

It's not about being forced to 'like' gay sex, but about not having an irrational dramatic reaction to it.

Most gay people who see a straight make-out scene think: 'I am so not turned on by this but ok...'. They rarely think: 'this is so gross I can't watch anymore *turns the TV off*'.
Reply 86
Original post by muslimstanisyed
Say im watching something then two men start kissing i either close my eyes or turn the tv.
Is that homophobic to not watch that?.
I remember a few months ago on eastenders that johnny yout was engaging in such activity so i turned it off.
Is it really homophobic

Ummmm.... do you close your eyes when there is anything like that on TV? Would you look away if a straight couple kissed? If so it's not homophobic, just a bit prudish. Otherwise yeah... that's a bit homophobic.
tsr res.jpg
Original post by Anarchytm
Typical liberal behavior, ignore the truth and live a fantasy world where everything is tolerant and loving.

Also http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_mental_health.html

Mental illness is related to be homosexual and homosexuality is not a natural disease it's a illness caused by the environment the person has been living in such as other mental illness's.

As for disliking to watch gays on television openly kissing, when you're a child did your parents not cover your eyes or tell you go to away when they knew a "rude scene" was coming even if it was heterosexual in nature, to put it simply people disliking watch sexual interactions on television when they are probably trying to eat their dinner.

You haven't actually quoted any reputable sources. Quoting from the bible is like me trying to prove wizardry quoting from harry potter.

http://www.queerty.com/this-flow-chart-that-destroys-religions-case-against-gay-marriage-is-so-easy-any-zealot-can-use-it-20150506
No it means you are a closet
Original post by Use Err Name
It suggests that you're scared of seeing men getting it on with men, and women getting it on with women.

I highly doubt he's that morally consistent.
Reply 90
Original post by thaifrenchie

I feel like the term is too strong. Phobia is definitely used wrongly here.

Duh.

If you break the word down it means 'fear of gay people', but if you take the word as it is intended it means anti-gay. Its general usage and intended meaning is more important than the parts which make up the word.

As such, homophobia doesn't mean cowering in the corner cause you're scared of gay people. It means being anti-gay.

If you followed through with your argument you could say that Jimmy Savile wasn't a paedophile, because paedophile means 'child-lover'. I love kids, but I don't go around saying 'omg I am SUCH a paedophile!' You see how silly the argument is when you start applying it generally?
Reply 91
Ya all just need to chill the **** out!
Got it !
Original post by Profesh

We agree with you wholeheartedly.
You shouldn't be vilified for such a trivial thing, but I would say it's an infantile and irrational response given gay people watch straight make-out scenes all the time without such a response.

It's not about being forced to 'like' gay sex, but about not having an irrational dramatic reaction to it.

Most gay people who see a straight make-out scene think: 'I am so not turned on by this but ok...'. They rarely think: 'this is so gross I can't watch anymore *turns the TV off*'.

I can't help the response. I've tried, I really have, but the image of two men swapping spit is something that I do not like looking at. It's not even the fact that it's homosexual (I enjoy seeing two girls kiss), just something specifically about 2 men.

I wouldn't turn off the TV as my reaction is nowhere near that strong but, if someone has such a strong reaction (that they can't help), I can understand why they would avert their eyes. As long as one doesn't treat homosexuals any differently and respects people's right to engage in a behaviour that one has an aversion to, this whole debate seems a bit meaningless.
Reply 94

I dunno, let's take a wild guess—maybe because it's an act of intimacy?

Trying to argue that all unfamiliar things should be given the same response is incredibly moronic. You cannot blame a person for their natural, instinctive reaction to a certain stimulus; if you want answers for why they do, perhaps you ought to put down your pitchfork and conduct some psychological research into it, instead of dismissing it as deliberate homophobia.
Original post by Profesh

heheheh
Original post by Kiytt
I dunno, let's take a wild guess—maybe because it's an act of intimacy?

Trying to argue that all unfamiliar things should be given the same response is incredibly moronic. You cannot blame a person for their natural, instinctive reaction to a certain stimulus; if you want answers for why they do, perhaps you ought to put down your pitchfork and conduct some psychological research into it, instead of dismissing it as deliberate homophobia.

And yet, if someone said: 'I feel sick at the sight of Islamic practices and culture' but did not feel the same way about other unfamiliar religions/cultures, then everyone would question their motives and would dismiss any notion that it was a 'natural, instinctive reaction'. I agree with you that it requires further research.

I am not waving a pitchfork. I don't believe it's homophobic, but I do believe it's irrational. The fact that you are practically admitting that the emotion/motive behind it is not based on logical reasoning supports that theory.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by donnerkebab
I can't help the response. I've tried, I really have, but the image of two men swapping spit is something that I do not like looking at. It's not even the fact that it's homosexual (I enjoy seeing two girls kiss), just something specifically about 2 men.

I wouldn't turn off the TV as my reaction is nowhere near that strong but, if someone has such a strong reaction (that they can't help), I can understand why they would avert their eyes. As long as one doesn't treat homosexuals any differently and respects people's right to engage in a behaviour that one has an aversion to, this whole debate seems a bit meaningless.

Fair enough, and I respect your position and don't believe you are homophobic at all, but I still think it's an irrational response and one that requires further research as the other poster recommended.
And yet, if someone said: 'I feel sick at the sight of Islamic practices and culture' but did not feel the same way about other unfamiliar religions/cultures, then everyone would question their motives and would dismiss any notion that it was a 'natural, instinctive reaction'.

I am not waving a pitchfork. I don't believe it's homophobic, but I do believe it's irrational. The fact that you are practically admitting that the emotion/motive behind it is not based on logical reasoning supports that theory.

Yeah but you're treating something inherently irrational like sexual arousal/aversion like something which can be logically chosen or constructed.

I'm disgusted by seeing morbidly obese or very elderly people having sex. That doesn't mean I hate them.

You're right that research into this area would be very insightful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by drowzee
You were disgusted, that makes you a homophobe.

Your measuring factor is broken.

I absolutely hate watching horror movies as well. Actually.... it's a comprehensive lists. See below a list of videos that would make me feel sick/disgusted

1) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (or movies like that)
2) Animals having sex (Nation Geographic shows it all the time)
3) Doctor performing surgeries/operations
4) Iraq/Syria Videos
5) Religious preaching
6) Men having sex

And you know what... I enjoyed watching Natlie Portman and Mila Kunis taking it all out in the bedroom. In fact, this "homophobe" is going to go watch that now.

This must be irony?

Will you expand on this?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest