The Student Room Group

Is it homophobic to not watch homosexual activity on my tv

Say im watching something then two men start kissing i either close my eyes or turn the tv.
Is that homophobic to not watch that?.
I remember a few months ago on eastenders that johnny yout was engaging in such activity so i turned it off.
Is it really homophobic
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just close your eyes. Why is this even a serious question?
I just want to know your opinions on this.
It will be interesting to know what people think because for me it aint but you know some people might disagree
Of course it is homophobic.

This is no different than asking 'is it racist to turn the tv off or close my eyes if a black person is on TV'

... i hope this is a troll thread
Reply 4
Original post by muslimstanisyed
Say im watching something then two men start kissing i either close my eyes or turn the tv.
Is that homophobic to not watch that?.
I remember a few months ago on eastenders that johnny yout was engaging in such activity so i turned it off.
Is it really homophobic

Why can't you watch homosexual activity?
It suggests that you're scared of seeing men getting it on with men, and women getting it on with women.

You have a phobia of seeing such activity.

So yeah, it's homophobic.
Gay guys don't look away when they see straight couples kissing. It seems like such a baseless thing to do. People who happily watch gruesome Saw films wince at a little gay kissing.
Original post by Use Err Name
It suggests that you're scared of seeing men getting it on with men, and women getting it on with women.

You have a phobia of seeing such activity.

So yeah, it's homophobic.

It doesnt suggest that he is 'scared' of seeing it, homophobia doesnt literally mean you are scared of gays and will cry and run away if you see gays. Homophobia means hatred, prejudice, disgust or any type of negative feeling towards homosexuality. OP doesnt want to watch gays kiss cause he thinks its gross or wrong. Not because he is scared. It is a homophobic reaction.
Lower your gaze fam and you would be aright
Original post by driftawaay
It doesnt suggest that he is 'scared' of seeing it, homophobia doesnt literally mean you are scared of gays and will cry and run away if you see gays. Homophobia means hatred, prejudice, disgust or any type of negative feeling towards homosexuality. OP doesnt want to watch gays kiss cause he thinks its gross or wrong. Not because he is scared. It is a homophobic reaction.

Yiu have just rewritten the definition of what a phobia is to suit your own argument.
Your biased

I was more just applying the term phobia (to fear something).

You're right though, that meaning doesn't typically carry through when it's combined with 'homo'
Yiu have just rewritten the definition of what a phobia is to suit your own argument.
Your biased

so you really are a troll. OK.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Gay guys don't look away when they see straight couples kissing. It seems like such a baseless thing to do. People who happily watch gruesome Saw films wince at a little gay kissing.

So because gay people dont do something i must follow?
Your biased

No she hasn't, that is exactly what phobia means in this context
Original post by Use Err Name
I was more just applying the term phobia (to fear something).

You're right though, that meaning doesn't typically carry through when it's combined with 'homo'

Well they do 'fear' gays in the sense that they feel threatened by things like gay marriage etc. But they arent 'scared' or 'fear' gays in the sense that you are scared of spiders or something. lmao.
Your biased

and you're still a childish idiot, grow up
no WTF......... if u dont wanna watch, u dont wanna watch it......doesnt mean u hate gay people just mans u think theyr a bit urgh.......lol
so you really are a troll. OK.

How ? google the word PHOBIA then we will have a talk.
A phobia is a fear of something.
I aint scared of homosexuals.
Well they do 'fear' gays in the sense that they feel threatened by things like gay marriage etc. But they arent 'scared' or 'fear' gays in the sense that you are scared of spiders or something. lmao.

Nah I get what you mean.

It's kinda odd how the term homophobe doesn't work in the same way as the term Arachnophobe though, for example
So because gay people dont do something i must follow?

Well no obviously I don't want you to not sleep with women.

I just think it's a little weird. Gay guys have to deal with straight propaganda their entire lives. As children all the storybooks had straight relations, cartoons, tv shows etc. I don't see why it's repulsive to see two people you aren't attracted to kiss one another. Didn't you see your parents kiss? I don't see the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest