The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Applying for Law... anyone else?

Hi guys :smile:

I'm applying for Law at Lincoln for September 2016, fingers crossed! I've heard that it's a good area to live in and the nightlife is pretty decent, can anyone shed some light as to what their experience of Lincoln has been like?
Reply 1
Original post by Moneymuffins

I'm applying for Law at Lincoln for September 2016, fingers crossed! I've heard that it's a good area to live in and the nightlife is pretty decent, can anyone shed some light as to what their experience of Lincoln has been like?

I realise this was asked ages ago now but I did my LLB at Lincoln having graduated last September. I'll type out my experience anyway in case you're still planning to go to Lincoln.

The Law School is incredibly supportive. The staff are great for teaching (obviously a few outliers in there but most of the lecturers are excellent). They make time for all students so you can always grab them at the end of seminars, drop in with questions, have extra appointments for help.

My biggest recommendation academically is not to be a stranger. Be friendly with a few lecturers and they'll support you until the end and beyond. I know this sounds cheesy. The head of school, Prof French, is someone I still talk to and helps me with my PhD applications so it really helps to have staff behind you!

The city and life there is always going to based on what friends you make. I had no issue making a good group of friends in first year with the people I lived with and our neighbours. Freshers week forced us together and some us stuck all the way until graduation group photos! The clubs are standard and for casual drinks there are plenty of bar and pub choices. Housing is probably mid-level priced compared to other universities. Many of the hall style options are overpriced (often exceeding £110 per week) and then you'll save some money on a house in 2nd a 3rd year. My house in 3rd year with 5 friends was £90 per week and that is about average.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey I'm hoping to study law too. I went along to an open day and loved it! Honestly, the facilities are amazing and it is such a lovely place. It is very welcoming and such a nice city. The law course looks so interesting!!!
Reply 3
Original post by Abbiee32
Hey I'm hoping to study law too. I went along to an open day and loved it! Honestly, the facilities are amazing and it is such a lovely place. It is very welcoming and such a nice city. The law course looks so interesting!!!

Do you have an questions? I can pretty much answer anything about the law school. If you were a year older you'd have had me teaching freedom of expression at the law open day and awkwardly stood at the front of the lecture theatre with the head of school talking about the place.
I got an offer for Law, needless to say extremely happy. Would absolutely love to study Law at Lincoln I just keep having second thoughts about moving out away from family. Anyone in the same situation?
Reply 5
Original post by Moneymuffins

Why would you go to a non-RG uni for law? You're making things harder for yourself when applying for a TC 2 years down the road.
Reply 6
Original post by Senecaa
Why would you go to a non-RG uni for law? You're making things harder for yourself when applying for a TC 2 years down the road.

Right so lets get some things straight. Russell Group matters (a bit) if you want to be a barrister or if you want a training contract at a magic circle firm.

However, it is not the be all and end all of picking a university. For example, Lincoln's commitment to teaching is phenomenal whereas some of my friends at RG law schools never got to say more than good morning to their lecturers.

In terms of Lincoln graduates, everyone who got a 2:1 or a first in my year and were relatively proactive during their three years at Lincoln are either on the LPC, an LLM like myself, or got good jobs (many are still deciding if they want to do the LPC later or not).

What I can tell you is that I was not prejudiced for my non-RG university at all when I had my mini-pupillages in London. The barristers I asked said as long as a I got a first then I'd have the same chance as anyone else. Nor was I prejudiced in my applications for LLMs. I'm at Utrecht University, a friend of mine went onto King's, a couple others to the University of Amsterdam (all significant leaps up the world rankings).

Do not fear & do not get sucked into the elitist mindset that non-RG = less opportunities. Lincoln will bend over backwards for you if you make the effort, trust me. Many of the staff are former practitioners (two are still practicing solicitors) and they know exactly how to help you get to where you want to be.

Base your decision on which one feels right and what law school likes you as a person. When I visited Lincoln 4 years ago they remembered my personal statement and took the time to chat with me for 15 minutes. That made the difference in my choice despite having an offer from UEA. Clearly hasn't done me any harm.
Reply 7
Original post by alexgilder
Right so lets get some things straight. Russell Group matters (a bit) if you want to be a barrister or if you want a training contract at a magic circle firm.

However, it is not the be all and end all of picking a university. For example, Lincoln's commitment to teaching is phenomenal whereas some of my friends at RG law schools never got to say more than good morning to their lecturers.

In terms of Lincoln graduates, everyone who got a 2:1 or a first in my year and were relatively proactive during their three years at Lincoln are either on the LPC, an LLM like myself, or got good jobs (many are still deciding if they want to do the LPC later or not).

What I can tell you is that I was not prejudiced for my non-RG university at all when I had my mini-pupillages in London. The barristers I asked said as long as a I got a first then I'd have the same chance as anyone else. Nor was I prejudiced in my applications for LLMs. I'm at Utrecht University, a friend of mine went onto King's, a couple others to the University of Amsterdam (all significant leaps up the world rankings).

Do not fear & do not get sucked into the elitist mindset that non-RG = less opportunities. Lincoln will bend over backwards for you if you make the effort, trust me. Many of the staff are former practitioners (two are still practicing solicitors) and they know exactly how to help you get to where you want to be.

Base your decision on which one feels right and what law school likes you as a person. When I visited Lincoln 4 years ago they remembered my personal statement and took the time to chat with me for 15 minutes. That made the difference in my choice despite having an offer from UEA. Clearly hasn't done me any harm.

UEA isn't exactly known for a stellar law school either is it. RG or not makes a difference. Just look at the proportion of those in practice from RGs and those who aren't. Gap is wide.

But maybe Lincoln made you feel at home so fair choice.
Reply 8
Original post by Senecaa
UEA isn't exactly known for a stellar law school either is it. RG or not makes a difference. Just look at the proportion of those in practice from RGs and those who aren't. Gap is wide.

But maybe Lincoln made you feel at home so fair choice.

It is true there is a gap but there are way more factors to take into account than just RG vs non-RG. For instance a lower percentage of non-RG law graduates go into further study like the LPC or BPTC. Now that isn't just because of training contracts and pupillage going to RG students. It isn't at that stage yet because very few students anywhere secure a position before their LPC/BPTC. It is influenced by financial background of the cost of qualification for example. I also think there is less interest in legal practice at non-RG. The stats show a higher percentage go into other professional positions once they graduate.

Now all of this doesn't detract from the fact that if you are a non-RG law student with good performance and you secure vacation schemes or mini-pupillages then you can succeed in going to practice with practically the same chances as an RG graduate. I just think there are less students who seek that at non-RG.

That is my experience anyway.

League tables in general need to be taken with a grain of salt because they're hugely influenced by research output and REF results which has next to no bearing on the quality of teaching an undergraduate student will receive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by alexgilder
It is true there is a gap but there are way more factors to take into account than just RG vs non-RG. For instance a lower percentage of non-RG law graduates go into further study like the LPC or BPTC. Now that isn't just because of training contracts and pupillage going to RG students. It isn't at that stage yet because very few students anywhere secure a position before their LPC/BPTC. It is influenced by financial background of the cost of qualification for example. I also think there is less interest in legal practice at non-RG. The stats show a higher percentage go into other professional positions once they graduate.

Now all of this doesn't detract from the fact that if you are a non-RG law student with good performance and you secure vacation schemes or mini-pupillages then you can succeed in going to practice with practically the same chances as an RG graduate. I just think there are less students who seek that at non-RG.

That is my experience anyway.

League tables in general need to be taken with a grain of salt because they're hugely influenced by research output and REF results which has next to no bearing on the quality of teaching an undergraduate student will receive.

Well said. I respectfully concur.

Quick Reply

Latest