The Student Room Group

IELTS exams (EU/nonUK students)

Hi there,
I apologise if this is the wrong forum..

All my unis gave me offers. But Bristol is asking me 7.0 English IELTS. I thought it wasn't necessary if you've been in the UK for 3 years. Did anyone do these exams? Are they anywhere similar to the GCSEs one?
Email them to confirm that you really need to do the exam. It's fairly straightforward if you have a good command over English but have a look at the format and do some practise tests.
Reply 2
Original post by RK1998
Hi there,

All my unis gave me offers. But Bristol is asking me 7.0 English IELTS. I thought it wasn't necessary if you've been in the UK for 3 years. Did anyone do these exams? Are they anywhere similar to the GCSEs one?

Check with the uni directly. They might have mis-read what you put on the UCAS form, or they might have a policy of asking everyone to sit IELTS if they're originally from outside of the UK. But you won't know unless you ask them.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Email them to confirm that you really need to do the exam. It's fairly straightforward if you have a good command over English but have a look at the format and do some practise tests.

Original post by Juno
Check with the uni directly. They might have mis-read what you put on the UCAS form, or they might have a policy of asking everyone to sit IELTS if they're originally from outside of the UK. But you won't know unless you ask them.

Yeah I am definitely ringing them up on Monday rather than a formal email. Thanks guys
Reply 4
Original post by RK1998
Hi there,

It doesn't matter if you've been here 3 years. You need IELTS if you haven't done GCSE in English. Speaking, reading and listening is easy if you speak fluently in English. However ,it is really hard to get above 6.5 in writing..
Reply 5
Original post by snuvisol
It doesn't matter if you've been here 3 years. You need IELTS if you haven't done GCSE in English. Speaking, reading and listening is easy if you speak fluently in English. However ,it is really hard to get above 6.5 in writing..

By 3 years I mean that I have done my GCSEs. Well yeah, it is hard even for native speakers.
Hi how long did u waited for the offer from Bristol. I've been in England for 5 years and got 7 in IELTS but not for every part I can ensure you that reading and writing is quite hard ,but speaking and listening is a piss take.
Reply 7
Did you put your gcse english grade? if you did, i don't think they'll ask you for ielts.
Reply 8
Original post by pewdiepig
Hi how long did u waited for the offer from Bristol. I've been in England for 5 years and got 7 in IELTS but not for every part I can ensure you that reading and writing is quite hard ,but speaking and listening is a piss take.

My school sent it off on the 9th and Bristol gave me the offer on the 13th.

I see, yeah I'm concerned about the writing even tho I do an essay based subject at ALevels. Also, I consider that speaking wouldn't be that easy for me as I get nervous and I get stuck while having a conversation just bc I don't like my accent. I know it's not a big deal, but it just irritates me.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nulhill
Did you put your gcse english grade? if you did, i don't think they'll ask you for ielts.

Yes I did (I got a C because I didn't have the coursework).
So I rang them up and cleared the fact. They told me that it was because English wasn't my first language. Although, before applying they required a B at GCSE, but now looking at the other options in Profile B for english lang requirements, it says A..
So yeah, I better do this if I want to go to Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending