The Student Room Group

Friend lying about 36k starting salary?

My friend who goes to UCL told me that he has gotten a managerial role for a small company in London that are offering him 36k as a starting salary.
I'm not sure if my friend is lying about how much he earns though, i've never known a company to offer such a high salary for a fresh grad. He worked in a small anti-piracy company called Entura international, I’m also skeptical that he’s working in management fresh out of uni because surely for management positions you need to work yourself up or at least have some management experience. How can a 22 year old join a company as a manager? i don’t get it..
he studied anthropology.
What do you guys think? is he being honest? he’s a pretty competitive guy who likes to 1-up everyone so I’m thinking he might’ve lied to make himself feel better about something when in reality he’s probably got a 20k+ job
what does TSR think?

Scroll to see replies

Not too bothered tbh. If you are that fussed about how much people make wait until you find out how much company owners make lol.
I'm not bothered I'm just a bit skeptical of him, he got very defensive when I accused him of lying and said he'd give me documents confirming his role, but he hasn't even graduated yet so I'm wondering why he'd have documents of a grad role before he's even graduated?

he then refused to show the documents.

I personally don't believe what he says for a second, was wondering what the internet thinks
My friend

You worry too much about starting salaries!

It's all about how much you're worth when you're 35-40.

And with your business plans and focus you'll do better.

So stop worrying !
Original post by TheMaster102
I'm not bothered I'm just a bit skeptical of him, he got very defensive when I accused him of lying and said he'd give me documents confirming his role, but he hasn't even graduated yet so I'm wondering why he'd have documents of a grad role before he's even graduated?

I personally don't believe what he says for a second, was wondering what the internet thinks

There is no way he is a manager on that salary in a 'small company'. Even large companies dont offer grads that salary in London, its more like 30K for grad schemes like Loreal and those are not managerial positions. (ofc i know investment banking and law positions offer that but those arent manager roles either) Your friend is lying, unless he has extensive experience in management,he isnt a manager on 36K.
Original post by Awesome Genius
My friend

You worry too much about starting salaries!

It's all about how much you're worth when you're 35-40.

And with your business plans and focus you'll do better.

So stop worrying !

Mate I'm not worried I'm just sort of taken aback by my friend's lying but wanted to see that my conclusions aren't unjustified, I mean what he's saying is ridiculous.

If he really is earning that then I would be happy for him honestly, he is my friend after all, but it's the lying about his position and salary I don't get.
Original post by Lúcio
x

LOOOOL
(edited 8 years ago)

Ha, like he actually has friends that he could brag to :')
Reply 9

Can confirm I made this thread but changed details to avoid detection

Some companies do offer graduates a job offer a few months before they graduate so it won't be unusual for him to have documents but a £36k starting salary for a managerial position with not many years of experience is a bit fishy. The salary would be more believable if it was a job in finance as well as the position if he has had many years of experience but it doesn't sound like it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
LOOOOOOL

Dat salt
My friend who goes to UCL told me that he has gotten a managerial role for a small company in London that are offering him 36k as a starting salary.
I'm not sure if my friend is lying about how much he earns though, i've never known a company to offer such a high salary for a fresh grad. He worked in a small anti-piracy company called Entura international, I’m also skeptical that he’s working in management fresh out of uni because surely for management positions you need to work yourself up or at least have some management experience. How can a 22 year old join a company as a manager? i don’t get it..
he studied anthropology.
What do you guys think? is he being honest? he’s a pretty competitive guy who likes to 1-up everyone so I’m thinking he might’ve lied to make himself feel better about something when in reality he’s probably got a 20k+ job
what does TSR think?

Some companies do,but tbh those are likely to be hedge funds.
Original post by difeo
Can confirm I made this thread but changed details to avoid detection

You missed Bater/Baiter from your username.
Reply 14
Original post by The Shed End
You missed Bater/Baiter from your username.

He works for a small company that employs about 50 people called Entura international, they are an anti-piracy company.

He said he gets paid £10 an hour now (pretty believable tbh) and what he does all day basically is scour the internet for pirated films.

He says he was promoted to the £36k managerial position after working for 6 months....
Original post by difeo

He works for a small company that employs about 50 people called Entura international, they are an anti-piracy company.

He said he gets paid £10 an hour now (pretty believable tbh) and what he does all day basically is scour the internet for pirated films.

He says he was promoted to the £36k managerial position after working for 6 months....

Maybe lying a little about the promotion!
so you guys agree he's lying?
Original post by The_Internet
Some companies do,but tbh those are likely to be hedge funds.

or every consulting firm, or every investment bank.

Quick Reply

Latest