The Student Room Group

What do you think should be taught in PSHE?

Here's a list of things my secondary school did not cover (with weekly lessons over the course of 5 academic years) in PSHE that I think definitely should have been:

1) Sexuality - no mention of the word 'gay' when talking about sex or relationships, let alone any other sexuality.
2) Gender - again, absolutely nothing on being transgender, or anything non-cisgender.
3) Consent - only once I was well past the age of consent did I fully understand what it meant, in terms of what classes as rape by law.
4) Mental illness - a really big one. I was taught literally nothing about any form of mental illness, and considering the number of teens who have mental illnesses, I now realise that it's pretty shocking that the subject wasn't even touched upon.
5) Money and how to handle it - including taxes, mortgages and what the heck they actually are, how to budget and spend wisely, etc.
6) Raising a family - all we ever got taught was 'wear a condom or you'll get pregnant!', but I think the school forgot that one day most of us will be having kids. How do we raise them? Not a clue. Or even if they just told us what our options are, should we get pregnant and not decide to keep the child.

Does anyone have any more suggestions?
Reply 1
nah
all these s*xual words, my s*x ed has come from TSR....

Spoiler

It depends. How long are your pshe lessons? 20mins or?

You have to be realistic in what u think u can cover in a certain time.
Original post by angelcake123
It depends. How long are your pshe lessons? 20mins or?

You have to be realistic in what u think u can cover in a certain time.

Around half an hour. Over the 5 years, we covered alcohol and what it does to your liver (3 years in a row), same with drugs, and never to have sex without a condom, even with a trusted partner. We just got taught the same things over and over again, year after year, so we definitely had time to squeeze in new material.
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy

Spoiler

:rofl: Poor cavster - do you feel corrupted?
Original post by Jenx301
:rofl: Poor cavster - do you feel corrupted?

lol not really :redface:
i feel clued up for the world :h:

Spoiler

:innocent:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
:innocent:

'netflix and chill' ringing any bells? :colondollar:
'netflix and chill' ringing any bells? :colondollar:

Yes:tongue:
lol not really :redface:
i feel clued up for the world :h:

Maybe soon you can stop putting *** in every word lol x
Original post by Jenx301
Maybe soon you can stop putting *** in every word lol x

nuh that would be too radical :s-smilie:
Original post by racheltriggs4
Around half an hour. Over the 5 years, we covered alcohol and what it does to your liver (3 years in a row), same with drugs, and never to have sex without a condom, even with a trusted partner. We just got taught the same things over and over again, year after year, so we definitely had time to squeeze in new material.

Ah idk. My school covered a lot. But going into such detail as you desire OP may cause trouble to some parents. Not all parents would accept their teens being taught about such topics.

Your school should have a range of topics or suggestions for what should be taught in pshe. Some teachers wouldnt be comfortable teaching certain topics.
25's lyrics.

Quick Reply

Latest