The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Modesty really.
Original post by Anonymous
Can you describe the differences?

I get told I'm 'pretty' quite often (no e-brag) but it feels like an empty compliment, like they're complimenting a statue or a painting :/ Like 'you're aesthetically good looking (but I personally don't find you that attractive)'.

Would you rather a male said you were hot? Think about how you would actually feel if a male that "I think you're really hot" as opposed to "no, no, you're really pretty".

Most girls would be quite put off.

If you like to be called sexy/hot/dirty/****ing tasty tell someone. I'm sure they will oblige because someone will find you such. Just for the sake of politeness and coming across well very few will tell you what they really think or would like to do to you :wink:
Original post by TorpidPhil
If you like to be called sexy/hot/dirty/****ing tasty tell someone. I'm sure they will oblige because someone will find you such. Just for the sake of politeness and coming across well very few will tell you what they really think or would like to do to you :wink:

This, essentially.
Reply 4
Original post by william walker
Modesty really.

Modesty in terms of attitude, behaviour or clothing?
Modesty in terms of attitude, behaviour or clothing?

Initially clothing and behaviour, but once you know them then attitude also.
Reply 6
They may think you'd find it distasteful if they called you 'hot' and so they choose what society considers the classier compliment. This is if we're talking random dudes, close friends may call you pretty so you don't think they wanna **** you, and such a sexual undertone gets communicated with the word 'hot' as opposed to 'pretty'. But if a guy is hitting on you and calls you pretty, there is literally no difference. He'll think you're hot too.
Pretty is 'almost' the female equivalent of calling a guy cute.

Pretty = Good looking face, more innocent looking.

Hot = Attractive body and/or face, as in you would have sex with them pretty instantly. An attractive face by itself would lend itself to pretty over hot.
I think the fundamental difference is one is to do with innate features, the other is to do with sex-appeal.

I think "prettiness" is to do with innate features (e.g. nice eyes, good facial symmetry, a nice smile, cheekbones, button nose etc. are all things that make you classically "pretty)". On the other hand, attractiveness is more about how you choose to dress, choice of makeup, how you carry yourself, self confidence etc. Moreover, as words like "hot"/ "fit" have sexual connotations, I would say it's more about the body type has a significant influence (dare I say it... tits and ass lol)

IMHO, you're either pretty or you're not... and only a fat wad of cash and a bloody good surgeon can make any real difference. On the other hand, anyone can make themselves attractive by choosing how they dress, carry themselves, being self confident etc.... Even if you don't have it naturally, its something you can work on in one way or another. Furthermore, anyone can increase their sex-appeal by doing things like going to the gym, learning to dance etc.

For example, as a red-blooded hetrosexual male, I would say people like Nicole Scherzinger Cheryl Frenandez-Versini (or whatever the f**k she calls herself now) are both classically "pretty" but I don't really want to jump them (if you know what I mean). On the other hand, girls like Lady Gaga or Britney Spears (in her day) are not as classically pretty as the previous examples, but there's something about them that makes me want to rip their clothes off (in a non- rapey way of course lol)

Hope that helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
For me, "pretty" is more so cute/simply beautiful while "hot" is beautiful with some sexual connotations.
tldr: laymans' terms:

hot: i want to rip your clothes off. right here and now, make you sing like a canary till the neighbours bang on our room door begging with the entirety that is the U.K government; for us to stop for the sake of peace.

pretty: you're good with a paint brush. like art in a museum, worth looking at for 5 seconds or less; but.. not worth taking home (that's how i view art museums anyway. i understand some people would love to take those pieces of papers home with them; but i don't really see the value.)

my two cents. (or pennies, or whatever)
Hot to me represents sterotypical things we find attractive, like big boobs, attractive figure ect and is usually used to say "I would have sex with you"

Pretty however feels more personal. You're not just attractive because of sterotypical attractiveness, I think you look pretty because of other things besides sterotypical attractiveness. Like your long hair, your cute laugh ect.

Sounds weird I know, honestly this is more of a personal interpretation. Probably doesn't make much sense but I tried.
Reply 12
Hot is immediately pulse quickening for some or other reason. Pretty is more considered attractiveness. Pretty is good, don't knock it :biggrin:
Its perfectly normal to describe a young child as being "pretty". Its not normal to describe one as being "hot".
Pretty < 37
HOT > 37
Can you describe the differences?

I get told I'm 'pretty' quite often (no e-brag) but it feels like an empty compliment, like they're complimenting a statue or a painting :/ Like 'you're aesthetically good looking (but I personally don't find you that attractive)'.

I think pretty has more to do with your face and hot has to do with more of your body.
Pretty would look good in a ball-gown at a fancy dance, hot would look good tied up in my bed.
Pretty - could see as a girlfriend, she's also attractive.
Hot - would smash.
You could have a "pretty" face but be unattractive in other areas (eg body).

"Hot" means physically attractive with a "pretty" face to match.

Oh and I couldn't care less about personality.
Original post by Most Competitive
You could have a "pretty" face but be unattractive in other areas (eg body).

"Hot" means physically attractive with a "pretty" face to match.

Oh and I couldn't care less about personality.

What is an unattractive body? Things like being chubby/overweight or throngs like small chest/short legs which can't really be helped?

Latest

Trending

Trending