The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gladders
Even speaking as monarchist, this idea stinks. Those systems of government have been abandoned as they are not equipped to cope with the complexities of modern life.

So all the power must be help by political parties and the government, our Liberty and Justice take from us because of "complexities of modern life"?
Original post by Davij038
...who are represented by those people, with whom no doubt you have profound disagreements.

I only have disagreements with them because they refuse to stand against political parties and the government. If they did that, even if it was Liberal I would prefer it. Though over time the institutions with more power will become more High Tory to maintain their power.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I would be exasperated and leave the country.

Oh well.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Desolate. The Church of England is just one religion, the royals and the aristocracy are just people who happened to be born to the right parents at the right time. Power should be something held by those chosen by the people to hold it, not those who have some kind of right to it by accident of birth or fate.

You neglect the merit of legacy.
Original post by william walker
Though over time the institutions with more power will become more High Tory to maintain their power.

Eh, I doubt it, more likely they will try and ingratiate themselves more with popular culture to try and get more relevant- The current CoE is to the left of the labour party- additionally with church attendance drastically falling I don't see much point. As the Church is trying to get the liberal young vote as opposed to the older conservatives, I can only see this ending badly from a conservative perspective.

Prince Charles is quite keen on getting more power- why, he wants to be the defender of all faiths in this country, including Islam and is quite keen on getting the government to support projects of his.
I feel that a restoration of Church of England's popularity would be a benefit. The current population lacks the certain morality and sense of community that comes with such a thing. As much as I disagree with it's practices Islam is a great example of what religion can do to unite people and I would much rather see native Europeans return to Christianity than turn to Islam as it is part of their heritage.

Edit: I would make sure the Archbishop was more devout in his faith than the current one however.
(edited 8 years ago)
Eh, I doubt it, more likely they will try and ingratiate themselves more with popular culture to try and get more relevant- The current CoE is to the left of the labour party- additionally with church attendance drastically falling I don't see much point. As the Church is trying to get the liberal young vote as opposed to the older conservatives, I can only see this ending badly from a conservative perspective.

Prince Charles is quite keen on getting more power- why, he wants to be the defender of all faiths in this country, including Islam and is quite keen on getting the government to support projects of his.

You mistake how institutions act without power for how the would act with power.
You mistake how institutions act without power for how the would act with power.

You mistake how institutions act with power in 21st century Britain.
You mistake how institutions act with power in 21st century Britain.

Institutions change how people act. People don't change institutions.
I'd be quite distraught but it would never happen so lmao.
Institutions change how people act. People don't change institutions.

Then why has everything changed? If institutions have been weakened, how did that become the case?
Then why has everything changed? If institutions have been weakened, how did that become the case?

Because of changing foreign threats, economic, demographic and geographic trends.
Original post by ivybridge
I'd be quite distraught but it would never happen so lmao.

It will happen.
Because of changing foreign threats, economic, demographic and geographic trends.

And how will these trends change any time soon?
It must be Friday afternoon if it is time for William Walker to repeat his well-known yearning for the clocks to be turned back to the seventeenth century.
It will happen.

It really won't. The country has progressed, it's not going to go backwards. Live in the 21st Century, not the 17th.
And how will these trends change any time soon?

Break up of the EU, end of Globalisation and free trade. Death of the Queen, need to strengthen the nation take maintain it. Given the large population of foreign legacy in Britain now which can't be deported they must be forced to become British. So the institutions which do this are the High Tory institutions. Same as before when we were threatened by Catholic France the Church was powerful, in fact the most power institution. But lost its power after we defeat the French in the Napoleonic wars.
Original post by ivybridge
It really won't. The country has progressed, it's not going to go backwards. Live in the 21st Century, not the 17th.

No what you mean is you think it has progressed? Other people disagree and seek to use events to improve the nation once again.
Original post by Good bloke
It must be Friday afternoon if it is time for William Walker to repeat his well-known yearning for the clocks to be turned back to the seventeenth century.

I don't want to turn the clocks back. I want to constrain the power of the government.
No what you mean is you think it has progressed? Other people disagree and seek to use events to improve the nation once again.

Just like you think it hasn't - many more agree it is better the way it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending