The Student Room Group

Renewed insurance want a refund

Ok so my car insurance renews automatically and is on a multi car policy with my family. In my complacency I didn't check the renewal quote when they emailed it through. I assumed that given there is zero change in details and no claims in the past 12 months then the price would be around the same as last year so circa £400. I logged on this morning (it renewed at midnight) to see how much I should transfer to my parents who's credit card it comes off. The price on my policy is now £800 which is obscene. I just checked go compare and the same details gives me a quote of £430 from the same company.

My question is will I be able to get a refund? Does the 14 day cooling off period apply to a renewed contract? I can't find the cancellation policy on the admiral website. Help?
Have you checked the terms and conditions?

I'm going to move this one to Motoring. I think you may get better answers over there.
Original post by blue n white army
Ok so my car insurance renews automatically and is on a multi car policy with my family. In my complacency I didn't check the renewal quote when they emailed it through. I assumed that given there is zero change in details and no claims in the past 12 months then the price would be around the same as last year so circa £400. I logged on this morning (it renewed at midnight) to see how much I should transfer to my parents who's credit card it comes off. The price on my policy is now £800 which is obscene. I just checked go compare and the same details gives me a quote of £430 from the same company.

My question is will I be able to get a refund? Does the 14 day cooling off period apply to a renewed contract? I can't find the cancellation policy on the admiral website. Help?

What is the insurance company?
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
What is the insurance company?

Admiral
Ring them up, tell them that you didn't realise it was an auto renew and get the money back. It shouldn't be too hard. I have done it myself. Similarly, you could ask why you have been charged £800 when a similar quote online for a new customer would be £400 and get the difference back for ease of hassle.

Insurance companies make their money these days from people who can't be arsed to switch and don't check each year. It is a pain, fortunately made easier by the comparison websites. Back in the day you had to spend an afternoon ringing around for quotes.

Good luck!
Admiral

You will be able to get a refund, but you will have to pay a cancellation fee in addition to the amount you have been covered for.

For example, if it has been a week since reneal, then before refunding they will take out a week's worth of premium in addition to the cancellation fee and refund the rest.

From the website "If you call us after the new period of insurance has started, we can still cancel the policy, although there will be a cancellation fee."
Original post by ByEeek
Ring them up, tell them that you didn't realise it was an auto renew and get the money back. It shouldn't be too hard. I have done it myself. Similarly, you could ask why you have been charged £800 when a similar quote online for a new customer would be £400 and get the difference back for ease of hassle.

Insurance companies make their money these days from people who can't be arsed to switch and don't check each year. It is a pain, fortunately made easier by the comparison websites. Back in the day you had to spend an afternoon ringing around for quotes.

Good luck!

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
You will be able to get a refund, but you will have to pay a cancellation fee in addition to the amount you have been covered for.

For example, if it has been a week since reneal, then before refunding they will take out a week's worth of premium in addition to the cancellation fee and refund the rest.

From the website "If you call us after the new period of insurance has started, we can still cancel the policy, although there will be a cancellation fee."

Thanks guys.

I'll ring them on my lunch break. Will be checking my renewal quote next year but gonna give them hell for trying to make a quick buck on a loyal customer.
Thanks guys.

I'll ring them on my lunch break. Will be checking my renewal quote next year but gonna give them hell for trying to make a quick buck on a loyal customer.

All fool you for being "loyal". But there is no point in giving them hell. The person on the other end of the phone doesn't care and is probably earning just over the minimum wage to take sh1t from people like you. And anyway - they sent you a renewal notice that you ignored and no doubt when you signed up they notified you that they would auto renew so perhaps they should be giving you hell for being a muppet.

It sucks, but at least now you know. Lesson learned.
Reply 8
If you call them up and say that you've gotten a quote with them online for ~£400, they should match the online quote. They're just trying to ream more money out of you. They'll back off pretty quick if you call them out on it.

Quick Reply